Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,478

    Default What can I buy to split my net connection

    I dont want wireless incase I get testicle cancer

    What is a good connection splitter thats sold in big box stores that I can buy to share my connection with my wife ?

    I wanna play xbox360 and she likes to browse the net for shoes

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    a router is still the best option probably.. just turn off the wireless feature of the router..
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (26)

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    5,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by punk-roc View Post
    a router is still the best option probably.. just turn off the wireless feature of the router..
    +1

    Id toss one your way but I'm not sure where they're at

    Have like 4 routers, 3 of which have Tomato installed (Linksys routers using other firmware)
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

    For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104



    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southeast Va in the 757
    Posts
    3,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    i dont want wireless incase i get testicle cancer
    lmfao.:d
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

    Office stuff

    Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

    Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Back from Japan in Lake Wylie, SC.
    Posts
    7,872

    Default

    If you still refuse to have a router in the house, then get a 5-8 port 10/100/1000 switch. You'd be good there with that also.

    http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DGS-220...6060940&sr=8-1
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

    Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Live Free or Die
    Posts
    10,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    I dont want wireless incase I get testicle cancer
    There are about a million wireless signals floating around your testicles right now, no matter where you are, that are stronger than a wireless router would be.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post
    If you still refuse to have a router in the house, then get a 5-8 port 10/100/1000 switch. You'd be good there with that also.

    http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DGS-220...6060940&sr=8-1
    He's going to need a router if his network doesn't contain a DHCP server. You could try to explain to him how to use the DHCP service in this cable modem if this assumption represents his network. You could also try to walk him through the process of assigning static private IP addresses, but this is probably over his head as well. If he buys a switch and plugs his machines in without a DHCP server then the default behavior for Windows would be to assign an APIPA address with no default gateway and he'll complain that the switch broke his internet.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,423

    Default

    I hate those 169 addresses! :(
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default

    stubborn people who don't appreciate a nice, well done secure wireless N network need 100ft. ethernet cables! haha.

    http://www.amazon.com/BLACK-100FT-En...6302019&sr=8-3

    even Prime eligible!
    HK AVR 2600 (7.1 theater set up)
    Marantz model twenty six

    My Dorm Room : http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...?userid=118416

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by !Jeremy View Post
    He's going to need a router if his network doesn't contain a DHCP server. You could try to explain to him how to use the DHCP service in this cable modem if this assumption represents his network. You could also try to walk him through the process of assigning static private IP addresses, but this is probably over his head as well. If he buys a switch and plugs his machines in without a DHCP server then the default behavior for Windows would be to assign an APIPA address with no default gateway and he'll complain that the switch broke his internet.

    true that, trust me. it sucks.
    HK AVR 2600 (7.1 theater set up)
    Marantz model twenty six

    My Dorm Room : http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...?userid=118416

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Posts
    841

    Default

    what you are looking for is a router without those "testicle frying" wireless capabilities. A 4 port router without wi-fi. Yes, they do exists, here is an example:

    http://www.buy.com/prod/trendnet-tw1.../10333132.html

    i'm sure other manufacturers also make them, but essentially, this is your ticket to accomplish what you are seeking.
    Last edited by Lietuvis91; 10-05-2010 at 11:52 PM.
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

    M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

    Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

    LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (9)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lietuvis91 View Post
    what you are looking for is a router without those "testicle frying" wireless capabilities. A 4 port router without wi-fi. Yes, they do exists, here is an example:

    http://www.buy.com/prod/trendnet-tw1.../10333132.html

    i'm sure other manufacturers also make them, but essentially, this is your ticket to accomplish what you are seeking.
    +1

    If you really insist on avoiding a wireless router, this is the one I'd buy:

    http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-...6339255&sr=1-7

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    +1

    If you really insist on avoiding a wireless router, this is the one I'd buy:

    http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-...6339255&sr=1-7
    That's actually the exact one I meant to suggest, just didn't find it through a quick search. This particular product can probably be ordered at a store like best buy or something and if so, they can be ship to the store, so you can pick it up.
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

    M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

    Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

    LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. California state split?
    By CaligulaPolk in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-25-2009, 01:42 PM
  2. split the sub cable
    By jp4smiles@yahoo in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 10:44 AM
  3. should I y split or not
    By chillywilly in forum Subwoofer Hookup & Bass Management
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 08:37 AM
  4. Split out LFE to Low End on Mains?
    By tcocklin in forum Speakers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2007, 09:08 AM
  5. Hurry! Anyone want to split these with me?
    By warlocks1 in forum Flea Market
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 10:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts