Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Is THX certification worth extra money?

I'm torn between two receiveers that have identical specs with the exception of Thx certification. The difference is about $100 for THX. is this worth the money?

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Nope.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Nope, you'll get a couple more DSP modes and that's about it. If the only difference is truly the THX certification, I wouldn't pay an extra penny for it.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by mr300 View Post
    I'm torn between two receiveers that have identical specs with the exception of Thx certification. The difference is about $100 for THX. is this worth the money?
    What 2 receivers?

Onkyo HT-RC260 and TX-SR60. Also, I have a third option of the pioneer vsx-1020. What do you think. I have the rti a5/csi a6/fsi a6 setup.

Would it be better to get the previous year's receiver with 145 watts per channel but hdmi 1.3 instead of 1.4.

Between the 3 I'd go with the pioneer. The main differences between the 260 and the 608 are THX, PC input and Sirius radio. Hdmi 1.3 vs 1.4 is a non issue for me because I don't care about 3d. If that's something you might want to have the capability for, get the 1.4.

Oh, and if you mean the Onkyo Txnr-5007 as the one with 145 watts, yeah, get that one.
    Last edited by messiah; 10-02-2010 at 01:03 AM.

Why the pioneer? Are they made better?

Why the pioneer? Are they made better?
    Imo, yes. The Pioneer also has better features, better processing, better calibration with mcacc, iphone app is damn cool, and I like the pioneer sound better.

Member Sales Rating: (45)

The Pioneer will sound better. Get that bad boy.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

If you could squeeze a tad more, go for the pioneer 1120, I think thats it, it has pre-outs in case you want to add an amp later down the road. I don't think the others do.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    If you could squeeze a tad more, go for the pioneer 1120, I think thats it, it has pre-outs in case you want to add an amp later down the road. I don't think the others do.
    Agree on the pre-outs, good call. It saves you from having to buy a new receiver or pre in the future if you want to add external amplification. If you're going to look at the 1120, also check out the vsx-32.

Are external amps really important? Do they make a significant difference to justify another 150 on the receiver.

Are external amps really important? Do they make a significant difference to justify another 150 on the receiver.
    Yes, a good external amp makes all the difference with higher quality speakers and are really a necessity when using 4 ohm speakers such as the Polk LSi's. When you are considering a receiver, ensure that it includes pre-amp outputs.

Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC122, MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201, MCD301, MR85, MX130, MX134
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

Nope! THX is meaningless.
    Last edited by cfrizz; 10-02-2010 at 10:00 AM.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

External amplification makes all the difference in the world. So instead of paying the extra money for THX, put it towards a receiver that has preouts to add an amp in the future.

Welcome to Club Polk.:)
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post

Amazon has the Pioneer 1120 for $590, free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-11...6051935&sr=8-1

Ditto Vanns:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...key_id=8932002
    MrBigBlueLight
    Usually right, but sometimes not entirely factually correct.
    Shifting to Plan B

Member Sales Rating: (14)

If I was to buy a non THX vs a THX receiver , THX would not hinder or help out of the gate.

First off when buying a receiver , you must consider what speakers you plan on using and how big the room is. This will narrow down your choices real quick.
    Then consider connections , what are you planning to use and if you want the ability to run other rooms as well for music.
    Ipod connect is the biggest thing right now , people love it , most own ipods so buying a receiver with this connection is a golden thing.
    So back to THX , if the receiver that meets your needs has it , awesome , if it does not , awesome.
    What people fail to realize that THX is not a bad thing , it most of the time doesn't apply as to fully benefit from THX , the entire room needs to meet spec as well as speakers , wire etc. All good learning tools.

Both Pioneer and Onkyo make wonderful receivers. Most will agree that the Pioneer's sound better as they tend to have slightly better dynamic range and warmer sound. Onkyo receivers are not bad at all at anything , they are built very well and are mostly custom ready which is something I like in their higher end models Integra.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

If the pio 1120 is what your budget is, get a Marantz SR7002. Preouts-check,
    THX-check Beast of a receiver and from a great brand.

Very well worth it if your going for full blown HT.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Member Sales Rating: (24)

Dan hit this one on the head. For THX to be what it is, the whole system should be conforming to THX requirements, otherwise its just there for you to use if you decide to down the road.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

One other thought - as long as you are going to be driving your speakers with your AVR, the THX certification can provide a level of comfort that the power output is more likely to be adequate for an average room than an AVR without the certification. I am obviously talking about when comparing 2 AVRs with relatively similar specs as wattage is frequently fudged in the specs unless you are looking at the really high end AVRs. Essentially you can view the THX spec as a form of 3rd party quality control. It doesn't necessarily mean that the THX version is better, but at least the manufacturer paid for a 3rd party (THX) to test or analyze the AVR to see if it qualifies for certification.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Mr300,

Something else to consider...I would say if you PLAN on possibly upgrading to an amp in the future, you may actually want to go a bit cheaper on the AVR and put the extra money into an amp sooner rather than later. For example, the AVR I have - Harman Kardon AVR354 cost me just over 300 bucks - about a 250 dollar savings versus the others, it has a true 75wpc and pre-outs. It has a warm sound, maybe even warmer, but less than dynamic than the pioneer (personal opinion), and sounds very good for music and HT. You may also want to consider HK AVR 254, one step down, but cheaper with pre-outs, and put more money into the amp. Since you'll use the amp to power the speakers, the WPC doesn't matter as much. That's another option if you are definitely planning on going the external amp route which many, including myself, suggest. This is, of course, not necessary, and you can get away with powering your speakers with any of the receiver's mentioned, BUT, the one thing I wish is that I bought an AVR with preouts my first time. I went into it thinking that it was fine, then the upgrade bug hit, and I needed mroe power. I think, unless you are SURE that these are your final speakers forever and ever (Or at least for a long while), then look at an AVR with preouts - you'll save yourself money and a headache later!

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player

No, never. I have amps that are not "THX" and I know they will kick the butt of THX amps.

All you are doing is lining the pocket book of George Lucas.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I own a THX Ultra Onkyo and I don't think that it's a must for you. Pioneer or Onkyo. Both are good. As far as Pioneer is concerned I only like the higher models. At the lower to mid/level Onkyo holds its own and has 'abundant' features. Are lower Pioneers warmer? I really can't answer that. But I'll definitely say that models below the VSX 1120 are NOT as powerful as the equivalent Onkyo--just check out the weight of those Pioneers?

In the end though. You should listen to both and see which sound you like better.

Good Luck!

cnh

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Make sure get the THX Certified Monster Cable to finish off the package...

I'm pretty sure the packaging and THX logo cost more than the speaker wire.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

No, it's not worth it but get used to it....it will never change.

Thread Information