Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default AV Receiver Help

new to forums .. but need some thots on AV Receiver; thinking denon1911 or onkyo608 ... any ideas? or should i stay with yamaha, then which?

any help greatly appreciated...

currently:
    yamaha rxv1000 (in need of repair and no hdmis)
    RT35i fronts, CSi30 ctr, JBL rears, 8" yam sub

Member Sales Rating: (14)

For your speaker package I suggest a Pioneer Elite vsx33 or if you can find one a Pioneer ELite vsx21thx. This is a personal favorite at under a grand receiver on the market , which now is disco and replaced with the vsx33.

Forget the Denon , Onlyo is nice , Yamaha is nice.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Look for pre-outs
    I bought a pioneer 1020 (sold it)at a steal but made the mistake when I started listening to speakers for HT
    Leave yourself some room to upgrade
    Last edited by txcoastal1; 10-07-2010 at 09:05 PM.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

why the pioneer elite other than personal fave?
    problem with denon? have heard good things.
    am wanting to stay under $600 if possible and get good sound, video upscaling, 2nd zone for pool/patio.

thanks

Because you're in the Pioneer zone!
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

I kid. But you'll see a lot of that here. Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo (& apparently Pioneer) are all good brands - just depends on what you're looking for.

Things to consider (features / differences)

1 - Tonal qualities among the brands (bright, warm, neutral)
    2 - Differences among similar features (auto-setup - YPAO, Audyssey, or MCACC?)
    3 - Do you want pre-outs on your receiver, so you can connect an dedicated amplifier to it and power your speakers some day?
    4 - Do you want to be able to hook up an external hdd / iPod to play music from?

Feel free to ask questions - perhaps we can help narrow things down.

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

I had the Denon 1909 at it's a great receiver. The last Onkyo I had was the 674 so I can't compare it to the 608, but personally between the 2 i'd go Denon.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Sony BDPS790, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, Zu Mission SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', AEX

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

The other thing to think about is that this year's models mostly just bring hdmi 1.4a (3d, audio return function). So if you look at any higher models from last year or the year before, you can probably get a more powerful receiver. Otherwise, almost all the brands offer dual room for under $600.

ie. Onkyo 707, Onkyo 608, Yamaha RX-V1065 / 1900, Denon 2310 (2nd room remote), Denon 1911, Pioneer VSX-1120-k, etc.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm1 View Post
    new to forums .. but need some thots on AV Receiver; thinking denon1911 or onkyo608 ... any ideas? or should i stay with yamaha, then which?

any help greatly appreciated...

currently:
    yamaha rxv1000 (in need of repair and no hdmis)
    RT35i fronts, CSi30 ctr, JBL rears, 8" yam sub
    I think you should decide how you want to use the receiver and then consider used/certified/previously owned in higher end models...if you can get a good deal, you can always flip it later with little to no loss....receivers drop in price like every house I buy....my last 5 receivers have all been used...as well as my separates....if you want state of the art for the receiver, e.g., 3D capability, then you will need new...many of us do not use HDMI with our receivers and instead use the multi-channel analog inputs...p.s. I am a big fan of some of the Denons and you can get a 3802 for under $300...but no HDMI or other bells and whistles..

If you're thinking of going Yamaha stay away from the **65 series as they were terrible. The new RXA series on the other hand are incredible value. The symmetrical design they use is something very rare at the price points offered.

wow ... tons of help here.

so what am i thinking:
    * preouts would be good at somepoint, then again hadnt added yet.
    * hdmi in/out for ease and video upscaling (current setup has hdmi (dish, dvd) video only, audio is optical(dvd), analog l&r(dish)
    * no need for 3d at the moment (Samsung 46in, 1080p/120Hz, LCD)
    * auto setup feature... don't know the diffs between brands, that cal feature would be nice
    * relatively neutral on tonal quality; not sure i have heard the difference enough to choose.
    * will be upgrading to blu-ray also.

as for getting used equip... that makes me a little nervous - getting someone elses problem, certified? where do you find that.

hope i don't sound too elementary (aka ignorant):D

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Go to Best Buy and audition the different ones with the features you're looking for. I was impressed how well the Onkyo sounded compared to some of the other ones, but YMMV.
    ..... ><////(*>

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Onkyo 608 gets my vote

Had a Onkyo 607, but it was too bright for my RTis. Currently have a Pioneer Elite VSX23. Very nice unit with a little better dynamics. With all this said, Onkyo is still a great receiver...just depends on your system.

The main factor is going to be the type of sound you're shooting for.

*If you're interested, Pioneer doesn't sell authorized Elites online. You can buy regular Pioneer's online, just not the Elites. I bought my VSX as display model from BB.

*Here's some good links for refurbished and certified Onkyo receivers:
    http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html

http://www.shoponkyo.com/products_re...s=1&group_id=1

Hope this helps!

thanks for all the help ...

I went to BB, listened to everything i could in the Magnolia room
    Listened to a pioneer and a denon at some friends
    searched last year deals and found a Denon 3310 for over 60% off with free shipping

just waiting for the arrival ... thanks again for the help.

i am sure i will be back with other questions

Thread Information