Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (24)

Default Static in channel 5 of my amp.....

All,
    I have a B&K AV5000 amplifier. It has worked flawlessly since I bought it from a member here 2 years ago. I have been swapping gear in and out over the last week and noticed that there was static and distortion in the rear left channel of my amplifier (it is channel 5). I have swapped gear, speakers and wires and it is definitely isolated to channel 5 of my amplifier. Well, I decided to pop the top to give it a look and quickly realized I had no clue what I was looking at!!!!! But, each channel has 2 fuses and i decided to pull the fuses that correspond with channel 5. Lo and behold one of the fuses had a filament that was burnt through. My two questions are:
    1. Is this the cause of my problem? Should that channel even be operational with a blown fuse because there was definitely sound (distorted and staticy) coming out of the speaker.
    2. Where can I get a new fuse? Is this something that home depot shopuld carry or is it a specialty item? The only thing I can read is BUSS AGC4A on the top and 250V on the bottom.

Any help / advice you all can give is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shawn
    Shawn
    Pre-Amp: Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amp: B&K AV5000
    Center Channel: Polk LSI C
    Front: Polk LSI 9's
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: Mirage Omni S10
    Television: Samsung LN46B640
    DVD Player: Sony BDP-S1000ES

Member Sales Rating: (8)

If each channel has 2 fuses, I suspect the channel could still produce sound with one blown. Not 100% sure though.

You can pick up those fuses at your local Radio Shack. Good luck!
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Member Sales Rating: (24)

Thanks, Rick. Went to radio shack and picked up a pack of the fuses, came home, popped one in and put the amp back in the rack. So far all is good. I am afraid there might be a short somewhere but I guess only time will tell.

Thanks again,
    Shawn

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Glad you were able to get the fuses. I am crossing my fingers for you hoping the fuse won't blow again. Keep us posted...
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Thread Information