Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default dolby digital or dts (5-channel)

currently running an hk avr 247 .....wondering whats a better setting to go with dolby digital or dts .....my ipod plays logic 7 which i like .....but mostly for home theatre is dolby digital better or dts
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    HK avr 247 - Adcom GFA-7605 - Belkin PF60 Power Conditioner - Cs2 center channel - Monitor 60's fronts - Monitor 30's rears
    Mirage Bps 150i powered sub - 40"Samsung LCD ln40c530 - Sony Blu Ray Player BDP-S370 - Comcast digital hd box(motorola dcx3400)
    Monoprice Premium Interconnects Monoprice Ultra Slim HDMI w/Redmere -Knukonceptz Kord 10 Gauge Speaker Wire - Nakamichi Banana Plugs
    Custom Jumpers

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I have found that on discs that offer both Dolby Digital and DTS, MOST of the time I prefer the DTS soundtrack. There is an occasional exception though...
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

I have the same thoughts as the post above me. For whatever reason I always start on DTS (if available) and then try the DD.
    Sony STR-5400ES, Emotiva XPA-3, RTi A9's, CSi A6, FXi A6,s, SVS PB12-NSD, Sony KDL52W5100, Sony BDP-S770,
    Pro-Ject RPM 1.3/Ortofon 2M Blue, Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, APC-H10

Atlas Equator MK II & Atlas Voyager All CU interconnects, MIT EXp 2 speaker cables, AudioQuest NRG-2 Power Cords

how about comcast cable viewing???? not sure if dts is offered......
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    HK avr 247 - Adcom GFA-7605 - Belkin PF60 Power Conditioner - Cs2 center channel - Monitor 60's fronts - Monitor 30's rears
    Mirage Bps 150i powered sub - 40"Samsung LCD ln40c530 - Sony Blu Ray Player BDP-S370 - Comcast digital hd box(motorola dcx3400)
    Monoprice Premium Interconnects Monoprice Ultra Slim HDMI w/Redmere -Knukonceptz Kord 10 Gauge Speaker Wire - Nakamichi Banana Plugs
    Custom Jumpers

i dont if my ears are broken..... or what but i feel i prefer dolby digital.....i dunno
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    Custom Jumpers

Quote Originally Posted by K-daugh View Post
    how about comcast cable viewing???? not sure if dts is offered......
    No cable or Satellite broadcasts offer DTS surround that I'm aware of.

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Member Sales Rating: (2)

They're the same, but different. Go with whatever your source is encoded in. How are you connecting your iPod? Analog?
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Quote Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post
    They're the same, but different. Go with whatever your source is encoded in. How are you connecting your iPod? Analog?
    yeah i got a dual female rca to single male 3.5mm from monoprice....sounds really good......bass is bumping....
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    Custom Jumpers

all my cables are monoprice .....just throwing that out there....proud of it too
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    Custom Jumpers

Member Sales Rating: (2)

yeah i got a dual female rca to single male 3.5mm from monoprice....sounds really good......bass is bumping....
    Ok, try this (from page 45 of your manual):
    1. Analog Bypass Mode: In this mode, the 2-channel signal is passed
    directly to the volume control, without being digitized or undergoing
    any processing for bass management or surround sound. The
    requirements for selecting analog bypass mode are:
    a) The analog audio inputs for the source must be selected. If necessary,
    press the Digital Button on the remote and use the ^⁄v
    Buttons to make the selection.
    b) The tone controls must be disabled by setting TONE MODE to OUT.
    Either use the Input Setup menu in the full-OSD system to make
    this change, or press the Tone Mode Button on the front panel or
    remote and use the / Buttons (^⁄v on the remote) until
    the TONE OUT message appears.
    c) The Surround Off mode must be selected. The easiest way to
    select the Surround Off mode is to press the Stereo Button on the
    remote until the Surround Off icon is lit (and the DSP icon is not lit)
    in the front-panel display.
    Those 60's should sound pretty good in this mode for music. IMO, the Logic 7 processing is outstanding for 2-channel stereo movie soundtracks, but sucks for music... but, to each their own. Enjoy. :)
    Last edited by mdaudioguy; 10-16-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Added a link to your manual...

wow sounds really good cant really turn it up though my daughter is sleeping in the next room...will do soon though and let you know
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    Custom Jumpers

thanks
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    Custom Jumpers

Member Sales Rating: (13)

ipod I would only play in stereo mode, cable and over air broadcast is all Dolby if it has it.
    My pioneer automatically sees what is coming in and switches so i realyl do not mess with it.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900

Member Sales Rating: (24)

I have heard that the only difference between Dolby Digital and DTS is that DTS adds +3 db's to the rear channels. Any truth to that?

stock setting when my source is the cable box is dolby digital as well
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    Custom Jumpers

Quote Originally Posted by shawn474 View Post
    I have heard that the only difference between Dolby Digital and DTS is that DTS adds +3 db's to the rear channels. Any truth to that?
    I haven't heard that though it could be true I suppose. To my ears DTS usually has better bass and clearer mids and highs. This is especially true with concert DVDs/Blu-Rays. I usually hear clearer vocals and guitars with DTS surround mixes.

i do not have the luxury of a blue ray player yet.......fml
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    Custom Jumpers

i have an amp and a new sub ahead of the ps3 i want ......lol thats the order of my wish list
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    Custom Jumpers

maybe i should stick the ps3 ahead of the sub
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    Custom Jumpers

i have an amp and a new sub ahead of the ps3 i want ......lol thats the order of my wish list
    What is your budget for an amp? I know where there is a great deal on a Rotel RMB-1095 (5x200 watt, 80 lb beast) right now. I would get it myself if I hadn't just gotten my Adcom a couple of months ago.

well my budget was some where around 400 but....... im three weeks out on that......
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    Custom Jumpers

so now im kind of in the looking around figuring out what i want stage
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    Custom Jumpers

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post
    Ok, try this (from page 45 of your manual):

Those 60's should sound pretty good in this mode for music. IMO, the Logic 7 processing is outstanding for 2-channel stereo movie soundtracks, but sucks for music... but, to each their own. Enjoy. :)
    just tested this out to dave mathews band -crash and various other songs from a few different genres........absolutley stunning .....i love my hk avr 247 best 180 ive ever spent (polk audio ebay) the 60s sound great .....the highs sound crystal clear mids are great bottom end is great.....im a happy camper, cant wait to add an amp....thanks for the great advice.....
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    Custom Jumpers

To my ears, DTS usually offers better bass than DD!

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I agree
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900

Most of the time you don't really have a choice... lol. Take whatever the source gives you. If you have a choice - DTS.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Member Sales Rating: (4)

DTS is much better than Dolby Digital. Not just better bass, but everything else is better (Resolution, clarity, etc.etc.)

Greg

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    DTS is much better than Dolby Digital. Not just better bass, but everything else is better (Resolution, clarity, etc.etc.)

Greg

Yep..that's what I noticed.
    Adcom GFP-750, Adcom GFR-700, Adcom GFA-5802, Jolida JD100, polk LSi15, polk LSiC, polk LSiFX, Velodyne Impact 12, APC H15, Sony KDL-60EX500, Sony BDP-S570, Pangea, MIT

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post

Greg
    headrott is right. If the soundtrack is encoded in DTS and Dolby....In general there is MORE information on DTS version....less compression. You can look up the amount of storage for audio that both use on WIKI. DTS takes up more space. And I too, generally prefer it.

But as far as translating two channel music into surround sound. I find Dolby music II does fine.

cnh

Thread Information