Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Where do you purchase CD's?

I was wondering where everyone purchases CD's. I currently get my new music at Best Buy and I'm thinking there has got to be a better option, their selection sucks!

I've just recently upgraded my 2-channel equipment and I've been buying CD's like crazy. The sound of my Tyler Acoustic Signature System speakers is going to bankrupt me!

I've explored a couple of the online sites and I'm wondering what people think?

Member Sales Rating: (13)

amazon.com (both new and from their resellers there) and cdbaby.com (for more independent acts) - or the various artist-releated merchandise websites..
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Locally I frequent the used CD retailers. The selection isn't consistant, but the prices are great. For new CD and SACDs Amazon is the usual place to buy.

Usually cduniverse or amazon
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

IF there is one near you Hastings is a great option for used cds, especially if you are in a college town and don't have to have all new releases. i also swing by goodwill every now and then and almost always walk away with something for pretty much nothing. Both hastings and goodwill sell on amazon so that's also a good option as well. I have also bought lots of cds from ebay over the years, never really had a problem but I also don't care if they are mint.

half.com

Owned by ebay... a great place to pick up a cd for between 4 and 5 dollars shipping included.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I look at the local garage sales and flea markets

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I've bought TONS of CDs/SACDs/DVD-As off Amazon.com without a hitch. I buy used "like New" many times at a fraction of new cost & haven't been ripped off yet. All but one came like new, the one was listed as Good but I would consider it "Fair"....but it plays ok, so no big deal for $2.00~
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer

Another Amazon customer. I usually have 1-5 CDs, and a Bluray or two, arriving on a weekly basis with free shipping.

There's this thing called Google,try it out.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I DO NOT recommend Best Buy. I was just there about 40 minutes ago and wanted to buy the new Mccartney "delux edition" of Mccartney. It was selling for $89.99 at best buy. I also was going to buy an 18 X 32" sheet of Dynamat Xtreme that was selling for $29.99 at best buy. At Amazon the same items are selling for $54.99 and $19.99 respectively. I asked if they would match Amazon's price and the response was "Oh no, not Amazon. No online price matching." So, apparently they are not the Best Buy. Previously, another employee said they would do online price matching, but I had to show proof of the price. Hence, why I returned with the proof. She was then going to proceed to ring up the items, but I interupted here and said "Ok, thanks anyway. I will just get them fom Amazon then." I then proceeded to walk out the door.

Needless to say, you don't get the best buy at best buy and they don't even attempt to be the best buy. Stick with Amazon instead. I did and it saved me about $45.00.

Greg
    Last edited by headrott; 06-14-2011 at 02:26 PM.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (37)

I don't care for the brutal way they treat their merchants (because they sell for 16% less than their own merchants that they are charging a 15% commission), but amazon is generally priced lower than anyone on the Internet.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Amazon, during the winter where I like to sit and go threw tons of cd's I will go to ebay and look for "lot of cds" lots of good bulk buys.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by decal View Post
    There's this thing called Google,try it out.
    No need to be a smart a$$... again. He's simply inquiring as to where others make their purchases. Sometimes people ask obvious questions that beg for a response such as yours, but really, not necessary this time.

Good question I search pawn shops, craigs list, garage sales, used cd stores, it is amazing what you find in places like that and it also makes you wonder why people part with such gems, the local walmart latley has been a treasure chest the one by us has a big box jammed packed with cd's for 5 dollars right next to the dvd's box for 5 dollars. I look at artists web sites as they sell there also, and in a friendly response the Internet is a good place amazon is a good place, I know what you mean about spending lots of your hard earned funds on cd's I have to constantly start alphabeticly resorting my collection weekly, have fun searching and spending.

Quote Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post
    No need to be a smart a$$... again. He's simply inquiring as to where others make their purchases. Sometimes people ask obvious questions that beg for a response such as yours, but really, not necessary this time.
    not being a smart ass just stating the obvious which you seem not to comprehend !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by decal View Post
    not being a smart ass just stating the obvious which you seem not to comprehend !!!!!
    Sure. Quite a few others didn't find it necessary to state the obvious. Thank goodness for you!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Manifest records, in Columbia. Independent store, with a hell of lot better selection than BB or Fryes.
    And the store has some nice Paradigm speakers, that they play the music on.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Member Sales Rating: (58)

CD's? What are those?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I get alot of my CDs from Half-price books if you have one around you.. varied selection of course depending on store.
    HT - game room
    Yamaha RX V665 - AVR, Polk Monitor 60's,(HT), Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS 1, Polk PSW 505, Samsung PN50B550 - 50" Plasma, PS3, Wii

2ch - spare bedroom
    Squeezebox Touch->AQ Alpha Snake->Music Hall A15.2->Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
    Yamaha S1800(SACD),Technics SL-QD33(TT)
    Head-fi - Sennheiser HD 280, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, B&W P5, Sennheiser HD 650
    Lenovo Laptop-> Dragonfly USB DAC/amp
    Server-QNAP TS110

Garage sales
    ebay in lots
    Goodwill
    Amazon
    half price books
    used music shops

Amazon or used cd stores
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.

I always go to Amoeba in Hollywood to snipe the used section. They have an insane vinyl section too. They are always having artists perform live in the store also. Great place if you are ever here in the Los Angeles area.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Amoeba was (and I assume still is) a very good store. Always something to be found there.

Greg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Sure. Quite a few others didn't find it necessary to state the obvious. Thank goodness for you!
    My pleasure!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    I asked if they would match Amazon's price and the response was "Oh no, not Amazon. No online price matching." So, apparently they are not the Best Buy. Previously, another employee said they would do online price matching, but I had to show proof of the price.
    If I remeber right the only on line price matching they do is to www.bestbuy.com. So they will price match a in store purchase if it is listed cheaper on best buy's own web site. So they are matching their own price.

I bet it isnt to much longer before Best Buy joins Circuit City. If you buy a 3d Blu Ray at best buy you better bring $40+ bucks with you. You can go to walmart and get the same movie for $25

I am all for buying local but when they flat refuse to match prices they can do with out my business. You make the effort doing research, checking prices, walk in to their store and tell them that you will buy it here if they will sell it for the same price, they say no. Do they actually think people are going to say ok and pay more.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II

Quote Originally Posted by jbooker82 View Post
    If you buy a 3d Blu Ray at best buy you better bring $40+ bucks with you.
    That is how Barnes and Noble prices their regular Blurays. Every time I go there I wonder who is stupid enough to buy one of these things at their insane price. I guess that is the manufacturers suggested list price, which is intentionally set high so that the consumer thinks they are getting a deal at $17.

Paul's CD's in Bloomfield, if doesn't have it he'll order it. I like supporting local independent music stores. The place reminds me of store setting in the movie "High Fidelity"

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

Me, for one! I never knew about half.com until I read this thread. and yes, I use google, A LOT. My thanks to the OP!

Newbury Comics awesome selection of new and used also new and used blu rays
    SDA SRS 2.3tls; RDO 198's, Dynamatted, Armaflexed, Gimpod Boards, Crossovers by quadzilla: Clarity ESA 630V, Mills Resistors, Track Audio Spikes, Musky's Curly Maple Caps
    CSi5, FXi5, Rythmik D15SE sub, Pro-Ject Xpression III/Ortofon MC-3 Turbo. Pro-Ject Speed Box. Pro-Ject Tube Box II

Thread Information