Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MFSL vs SHM

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default MFSL vs SHM

Hey all,

NoOb question?
    What is all the glam about these two? I understand what they are in all, but not sure if they are worth the investment? Are they simply collectors or are they what they are supposed to be?
    Just wanted to start this thread for various opinions.

Matt
    Integra DTR 50.2 used as a preamp
    Rotel RCD 1520 cdp
    AudioQuest Jaguar 72v dbs ic's
    AudioQuest type 8 wire
    biamped to:
    2-Hafler 9500 trans nova's
    AudioQuest NRG-3 power cable's
    dedicated AC line for
    Tesla Plex 20a duplex receptacle
    Panamax Max 7500 pro surge/line conditioner
    SDA SRS 3.1 TL's modded...
    spikes, rdo's, rings, dynamat, sonicaps, mills & aeon
    Panasonic Viera G20 50" plasma

...SDA's are just like candy for your ears...

Guys,
    I guess what I am after is...
    Is the overall tonal qualities or sonics merit the huge costs?
    Or is it simply a matter of preference?

I presently do not own either one, so that why I am asking.

thanks,
    Matt
    Integra DTR 50.2 used as a preamp
    Rotel RCD 1520 cdp
    AudioQuest Jaguar 72v dbs ic's
    AudioQuest type 8 wire
    biamped to:
    2-Hafler 9500 trans nova's
    AudioQuest NRG-3 power cable's
    dedicated AC line for
    Tesla Plex 20a duplex receptacle
    Panamax Max 7500 pro surge/line conditioner
    SDA SRS 3.1 TL's modded...
    spikes, rdo's, rings, dynamat, sonicaps, mills & aeon
    Panasonic Viera G20 50" plasma

...SDA's are just like candy for your ears...

Member Sales Rating: (13)

MFSL and other small remastering companies are about getting the best sound possible from the original master tapes. SHM is about re-releasing commerical masterings using a new, optically clear coating on the disc. In theory this allows the laser to see more information and therefore result in better sound.

SHM-SACD is an entirely different ballgame compared to SHM-CD.

Generally speaking, releases from MFSL are as good as it gets and well worth the money.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Learn something new everyday.

I definitely defer to the vinyl guys on this issue, but reading up on MSFL, saw that they had a category UHQR ("Ultra High Quality Recording").
    Limited to 5000 pressings, 200 gram virgin Super vinyl, Ortofon cutter ...... whew.
    There were only 8 UHQR releases:

Crime of the Century, Supertramp
    Dark Side of the Moon, Floyd
    Finger Paintings, Earl Klugh
    Tea For The Tillerman, Cat Stevens
    I Robot, Alan Parsons
    Sgt. Peppers, Beatles
    and two classical titles,
    Fest Romane and Gustav Holst's The Planets.

On Ebay, these go for a premium price:

looks like a sealed " I, Robot" goes for $925 on Ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SEALED-MFSL-...item563fefaa45

Unopened mint Sgt. Pepper's LHCB going for $1300.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BEATLES-Sgt-Pepp...item2a0ab03bfb

Interesting discussion at Better Records ( home of the Hot Stampers) regarding MOFI and MOFI's DSOTM pressing.

http://www.dccblowout.com/product.as...inkfdarks_mofi

Looks like if you have the gear worthy of these pressings, they're worth the money.
    MrBigBlueLight
    Usually right, but sometimes not entirely factually correct.
    Shifting to Plan B

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I agree with F1. Anything by MoFi is the best you can buy for sonic quality. I have yet to hear a poor remaster of any MFSL title, CD or vinyl. Worth the investment, IMO and they only appreciate in value. OOP titles can cost into the hundreds/thousands depending on the rarity. Case in point, MrBBL's links.

I own a few and paid between 40.00 - 60.00. Had no idea really at the time, but thought they were kind of cool. Now I'm sitting on a small fortune that in time will become worth more, I believe. Things are tough right now, but I'd have to be starving before I let any of mine go.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

To say that anything on mofi is the best is a vast overstatement,IMHO.There are duds on mofi and shm just like any other label/format.Just because someone else likes a certain recording doesn't mean you will like it.You have to experience it for yourself.As far as your question "are they worth it",that's entirely up to you also.

Quote Originally Posted by decal View Post
    To say that anything on mofi is the best is a vast overstatement,IMHO.There are duds on mofi and shm just like any other label/format.Just because someone else likes a certain recording doesn't mean you will like it.You have to experience it for yourself.As far as your question "are they worth it",that's entirely up to you also.
    Which MFSL titles do you own or have heard constitutes a dud?

I own several and find them all to be superior. I believe the MFSL, DSotM Gold CD to be better than the SACD version, for example.

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    I believe the MFSL, DSotM Gold CD to be better than the SACD version, for example.
    Now why did you have to go and post this AFTER I ordered DSotM on SACD last night:tongue:

I don't have an MFSL and SHM copy of the same album so I cant speak to which sounds better. However, I do own a few MFSL's and SHM's and now two SHM-SACD's. I can say that without a doubt, my MFSL of Rush's Permanent Waves blows both the original and the 1997 remaster out of the water. In addition, I prefer my SHM copies of Moving Pictures and Hemispheres to the remaster versions for overall sonics and dynamics, even though I think the remasters are superior to the original CD releases. To me, the SHM discs sound much warmer (read vinyl-like) than the remastered CD versions. Meanwhile, my SHM-SACD of Steely Dan's Aja blows my original MCA CD out of the water....no contest. I just got Who's Next on SHM-SACD but havent played it yet so I cant say anything in terms of an A/B comparison with my original CD release. That review is coming soon!
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
    NAD T763 Reciever
    Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
    Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
    Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
    Playstation 3 120GB Slim

Quote Originally Posted by PSOVLSK View Post
    Now why did you have to go and post this AFTER I ordered DSotM on SACD last night:tongue:
    Don't get me wrong, the SACD is still good. This, I have heard anyway, is supposed to be the Holy Grail of DSotM.

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon.../dp/B000M2UQDC

Can't confirm it, since I've never heard this particular pressing, but it's supposed to be even better than the MFSL version.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

MOFI/MFSL is my friend!! An expensive friend but worth every penny!! I find most standard/original vinyl better then most standard CD's, if there in great shape that is, and cleaned well.
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Don't get me wrong, the SACD is still good. This, I have heard anyway, is supposed to be the Holy Grail of DSotM.

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon.../dp/B000M2UQDC

Can't confirm it, since I've never heard this particular pressing, but it's supposed to be even better than the MFSL version.
    Yes Mike! This version of the CD (the first pressing) is very very good. I don't own the MFSL or SACD of this CD though so I cannot compare. I do know that this version DSOTM sounds extremely good though. Although the Harvest first pressing (U.S. CD made in Japan) is probably better than the one you posted, but it's close. Highly recommended.

Greg
    Last edited by headrott; 10-31-2010 at 04:40 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Not sure why people are hung up on DSOTM there are so many better albums by Pink Floyd than DSOTM.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D

Quote Originally Posted by snow View Post
    Not sure why people are hung up on DSOTM there are so many better albums by Pink Floyd than DSOTM.

REGARDS SNOW
    Actually, there is no dark side of the moon. It's all dark, snowman.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Animals is my favorite..

Wasn't the snowman in Smokey and the Bandit?? lol
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Actually, there is no dark side of the moon. It's all dark, snowman.
    Hows the weather there Mike? its still way too hot here -2 at the moment and I have the AC running, it snowed on my AC yesterday

REGARDS SNOW
    Last edited by snow; 10-31-2010 at 09:56 AM.
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D

Moist and wet.

Moist and wet.
    Isnt that kinda the same? :tongue:

REGARDS SNOW

Isnt that kinda the same? :tongue:

REGARDS SNOW
    It's how I like my PIE!

It's how I like my PIE!
    I like mine warm and wet fresh baked you might say :tongue:

REGARDS SNOW

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigbluelight View Post
    Learn something new everyday.

I definitely defer to the vinyl guys on this issue, but reading up on MSFL, saw that they had a category UHQR ("Ultra High Quality Recording").
    Limited to 5000 pressings, 200 gram virgin Super vinyl, Ortofon cutter ...... whew.
    There were only 8 UHQR releases:

Crime of the Century, Supertramp
    Dark Side of the Moon, Floyd
    Finger Paintings, Earl Klugh
    Tea For The Tillerman, Cat Stevens
    I Robot, Alan Parsons
    Sgt. Peppers, Beatles
    and two classical titles,
    Fest Romane and Gustav Holst's The Planets.

On Ebay, these go for a premium price:

looks like a sealed " I, Robot" goes for $925 on Ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SEALED-MFSL-...item563fefaa45

Unopened mint Sgt. Pepper's LHCB going for $1300.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BEATLES-Sgt-Pepp...item2a0ab03bfb

Interesting discussion at Better Records ( home of the Hot Stampers) regarding MOFI and MOFI's DSOTM pressing.

http://www.dccblowout.com/product.as...inkfdarks_mofi

Looks like if you have the gear worthy of these pressings, they're worth the money.
    Rick they are all awesome pressings. I still have "I Robot" and "Fingerpainting" but the rest are long gone. Now the asking prices are really high but they are worth the money if they are in good condition however I wouldn't pay over $300 for one because that would just seem like insanity.

Not sure why people are hung up on DSOTM there are so many better albums by Pink Floyd than DSOTM. REGARDS SNOW
    My personal favorite is "Umma Gumma". The record is not the best example, IMO, of vinyl pressing/mastering (kind of ...... "mumphy" ?), but ..... ahhhhhh, "Umma Gumma". Careful with that axe, Eugene and set the controls for the heart of the sun.

I've also cleared it with management and obtained permission to be allowed to kick anyone in the balls who names, "The Wall" as the best Pink Floyd album. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but .... not that one.

Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    Rick they are all awesome pressings. I still have "I Robot" and "Fingerpainting" but the rest are long gone. Now the asking prices are really high but they are worth the money if they are in good condition however I wouldn't pay over $300 for one because that would just seem like insanity.
    I agree. Although, if I had $1000 + for vinyl purchases, I'd sure have the gear that would make good use of it. Right now, my "Close N' Play" would plow through it like an Amish farmer on crack, so ......
    I'd have a bit of a hard time buying an UHQR listed as "VG++" off of Ebay. What kind of torture must that vinyl have gone through to drop from AAA+++ Stellar ? Kids use it to ladle sand out of the sandbox ?

Not derailing the thread (I hope), but Direct-to-Disk used to be an option back in the day. Used to have an album by Lee Ritnour that was D2D that was very interesting. That technology went the way of the buffalo, though, because the demands of recording an entire side of an album, non-stop, and live was too tough for both the artist/band and the technical people.
    MrBigBlueLight
    Usually right, but sometimes not entirely factually correct.
    Shifting to Plan B

I'm with Larry. Animals is probably my fave of all the Floyd studio albums. I'd love see a MFSL remaster of this classic.

I have bits & pieces of this collection. I'd sell one of kidneys to own all 18 discs. Some really great stuff and very rare.

http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Floyd-Tre...9&sr=1-1-spell

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Meddle.

Greg

I love Animals but my personal fave is The Final Cut. Yes, it's more like a Waters solo album with Pink Floyd as backup musicians (except for Wright of course) but I just love the music and the lyrics. I always keep coming back to that album. The title track, "The Gunners Dream" and "Two Suns in the Sunset" are absolute masterpieces in my opinion.
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    NAD T763 Reciever

Playstation 3 120GB Slim

I really love my MFSL copy of Permanent Waves... I mean it is simply the best I've heard that album, but I really dont care for the new cardboard packaging that MFSL chose to use for this release. I really baby my discs, but it's been damn near impossible to keep the case on this album prisitine. The inevitable indentations are already there and, being type A, they're really getting to me. Has anyone recently bought any MFSL releases and if so, are they using the cardboard casing rather than the old jewel cases they used to use? I was looking to get one or two of the upcoming SRV SACD releases, but I'd be hesitant if they come in the same packaging my Rush CD came in. Am I the only one who's annoyed by this??
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    NAD T763 Reciever

Playstation 3 120GB Slim

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    Yes Mike! This version of the CD (the first pressing) is very very good. I don't own the MFSL or SACD of this CD though so I cannot compare. I do know that this version DSOTM sounds extremely good though. Although the Harvest first pressing (U.S. CD made in Japan) is probably better than the one you posted, but it's close. Highly recommended.

Greg
    I got lucky and managed to score a copy of the Black Triangle version of DSotM. It is better sounding than the MFSL CD, Greg. All kinds of subtle nuances on this version I was never aware of before. The tone is much more smoother overall and better image separation as well. Very nice indeed.

http://www.hokafloyd.com/CDHOKA/dark...oon%20MFSL.htm

I've seen the Black Triangle CD's of DSOTM of ebay for various prices. Some are in the $50 range while others are hundreds of dollars. What is the difference? Are these different pressings? How does the Black Triangle version compare to the SACD?
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    NAD T763 Reciever

Playstation 3 120GB Slim

I have bids in on ebay for the MFSL copies of Rush's 2112 and Moving Pictures albums. I expect there to be fierce biddning towards then end for both. Of those that own both, which would you consider the priority to have based on quality of sound? Just need to have an idea whoch one to be more aggrssive on? i'm the high bidder on both at the moment.
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    NAD T763 Reciever

Playstation 3 120GB Slim

Quote Originally Posted by pmckeealaska View Post
    I've seen the Black Triangle CD's of DSOTM of ebay for various prices. Some are in the $50 range while others are hundreds of dollars. What is the difference? Are these different pressings? How does the Black Triangle version compare to the SACD?
    Well, I prefer the MFSL version to the SACD and the BT version is superior to the MoFi in my opinion, so it's worth getting a copy of. I wouldn't spend 50.00 bucks on it though, but that's just me.

As far as those MFSL of Rush, both are great albums. MP is one of the pinnacles of their career. If I had to make a choice, Moving Pictures.

Thread Information