Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (24)

Default looking for a new bedroom TV

so its bout time to upgrade the bedroom TV. looking for something from a 40" to a 50" unless i can find a great deal.

wanna get the most for the $, dont wanna go over the $1k mark.

bedroom TV is just for watching TV and movies. dont play any games in there.

open to input
    mole'

i saw BB has

Panasonic - VIERA 42" Class / 1080p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV for $650

Panasonic - VIERA / 46" Class / 720p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV for $600

Panasonic - VIERA / 50" Class / 720p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV for $687
    mole'

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I'd go with any of the sets above. Tough to beat the Panny plasma now that Pioneer has left the field!

I just upgraded to a 32" third-party LCD set in my bedroom (up from a 24" which went to my daughter). I just don't have the room in there for the sizes your listing above. Way too BIG for the room. But if you have the space--go for it! Plasmas have truer color.

cnh

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    I'd go with any of the sets above. Tough to beat the Panny plasma now that Pioneer has left the field!

I just upgraded to a 32" third-party LCD set in my bedroom (up from a 24" which went to my daughter). I just don't have the room in there for the sizes your listing above. Way too BIG for the room. But if you have the space--go for it! Plasmas have truer color.

cnh
    i had one before in my old house, but it fell and broke.

Panasonic to me is a good cheaper TV. if i had the $ i would get another Sony LED
    mole'

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Panasonic 42" 1080p Plasma TC-P42S2 $499.49 at Newegg
    Credit to Everix for the coupon code BFPANLCD (see http://slickdeals.net/forums/show...&t=2342875 )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6889187153
    Regular Price - $849.99
    Sale Price - $549.99
    W/coupon price - $499.49

Steal for this TV..

Quote Originally Posted by grif32 View Post
    Panasonic 42" 1080p Plasma TC-P42S2 $499.49 at Newegg
    Credit to Everix for the coupon code BFPANLCD (see http://slickdeals.net/forums/show...&t=2342875 )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6889187153
    Regular Price - $849.99
    Sale Price - $549.99
    W/coupon price - $499.49

Steal for this TV..
    links are not working right

but thats a great deal right there
    mole'

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Samsung LN46C630 46-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD. After seeing our son's 52" Samsung and daughter's 40" Samsung, I'm sold on this brand. Check the reviews, both "expert" and people. www.amazon.com has this for $800. Check around other places such as Best Buy.

Quote Originally Posted by mole' View Post
    links are not working right

but thats a great deal right there
    It's a steal, won't find a better TV for that price anywhere. Even TV's $300 - $400 more can't beat this TV. But it looks like they are out of stock on them. Figured it was an amazing price with free shipping.

The Panny Plasma's are great IMO for a cheaper TV and give a good pic quality to them. Only thing is I tend personally not to like their look as the stand deosn't move and its fixed to the TV and just the trim looks cheap to me, but if its just going into a bedroom then normally shouldn't be a problem.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Quote Originally Posted by cstmar01 View Post
    The Panny Plasma's are great IMO for a cheaper TV and give a good pic quality to them. Only thing is I tend personally not to like their look as the stand deosn't move and its fixed to the TV and just the trim looks cheap to me, but if its just going into a bedroom then normally shouldn't be a problem.
    Not sure what you mean by "Cheaper" tv. Panny makes some of the best if not the best TV's out there today. In no way are they cheap TV's I rate TV's manufactures this way:

1) Panny
    2) Samsung
    3) LG
    4) Sony

U, X OR C series Panny models are their lower end models but still great TV's. S, G VT series are great TV's

yup

out of stock
    mole'

Quote Originally Posted by grif32 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "Cheaper" tv. Panny makes some of the best if not the best TV's out there today. In no way are they cheap TV's I rate TV's manufactures this way:

1) Panny
    2) Samsung
    3) LG
    4) Sony

U, X OR C series Panny models are their lower end models but still great TV's. S, G VT series are great TV's
    Umm cheaper as in they are a cheaper model.

Compared to an LED of the same size they are going to be cheaper #1 as due to what kind of TV it is. Next cheaper in terms of these are their entry level models. As stated before often are going to be 720P not the 1080P and also they don't have the same contrast ratio as the higher end models.

So yes, this is a cheaper TV.

Does that mean its bad, no, but it does cost less and is "cheaper"

Also depends on what you need and what your looking at. If I was to go with LED I for sure wouldn't be buying a Panny...Also more goes into a TV than who makes it, such as how well it performs after calibration, color ac. out of the box, blah blah blah.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Squeezebox Touch
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Umm cheaper as in they are a cheaper model.

Compared to an LED of the same size they are going to be cheaper #1 as due to what kind of TV it is. Next cheaper in terms of these are their entry level models. As stated before often are going to be 720P not the 1080P and also they don't have the same contrast ratio as the higher end models.

So yes, this is a cheaper TV.

Does that mean its bad, no, but it does cost less and is "cheaper"

Also depends on what you need and what your looking at. If I was to go with LED I for sure wouldn't be buying a Panny...Also more goes into a TV than who makes it, such as how well it performs after calibration, color ac. out of the box, blah blah blah.
    The S model is 1080P not 720P and contrast ration means nothing when buying TV's since every over inflates that # anyway. That should be the last thing anyone should look at when buying a tv.

Also I would put the s series up against any LED it's size and I bet it competes with them and at a far less price.

I wouldn't touch led/lcd tv with a 10' pole but that's just me.

Panny is known for putting out very nice plasma's even their "cheaper" models which will compete with other manufactures "more expensive" models.

i had a 50" PANNY Plasma before.

it was the TH-50PZ85U

it was nice but nowhere near my 52" Sony LED
    mole'

The TH-50PZ85U I believe was made in 2008, nice TV but old. Compare today's Plasma to an LED and Plasma wins IMHO.

The G Series which replaced the TH-50PZ85U is so much better in every category, PQ, Brightness etc.
    Last edited by grif32; 11-04-2010 at 07:21 PM.

The only downside to plasmas is their overall brightness. Compare a bright scene on a plasma to a LCD. You can exaggerate the comparison a bit by putting a white screen on both.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Absolutely,

If you think that LED is better than a good plasma then it is usually due to the 'pop' that the neon bright colors have on on LED as opposed to more 'natural' real world color on the plasma.

I just bought a 32" LCD (bedroom set) and my wife is overly impressed with that very 'brightness' but if both sets were properly calibrated you'd see a more realistic image on the plasma. Look around your living room....what does the color there look like. Is it 'flaming' bright or a more muted hue?

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 11-04-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Absolutely,

If you think that LED is better than a good plasma then it is usually due to the 'pop' that the neon bright colors have on on LED as opposed to more 'natural' real world color on the plasma.

I just bought a 32" LCD (bedroom set) and my wife is overly impressed with that very 'brightness' but if both sets were properly calibrated you'd see a more realistic image on the plasma. Look around your living room....what does the color there look like. Is it 'flaming' bright or a more muted hue?

cnh
    Exactly, this is why people fall in love with LED/LCD TV's in stores because they are so bright and ignore plasma's in stores.

How about this TV? I know it's only 720P but for $499 on a 50" Plasma it's a steal. If you have a Fry's located close to you then to me it's a no brainer.

http://www.frys.com/ShopCartServlet?purchase=6178789

Well also, don't forget that plasmas put off a ridiculous amount of heat. It's like a million (or two) CRTs firing off on your wall :)

LED's put off almost zero heat in comparison. I have to actually get a space heater for my bedroom now that we went LED...but on the flip side in the summer it's not sweltering from the heat it puts off.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Quote Originally Posted by nguyendot View Post
    Well also, don't forget that plasmas put off a ridiculous amount of heat. It's like a million (or two) CRTs firing off on your wall :)

LED's put off almost zero heat in comparison. I have to actually get a space heater for my bedroom now that we went LED...but on the flip side in the summer it's not sweltering from the heat it puts off.

Neither of my two Plasma's put off much heat at all. My pS3 will heat up a room that's for sure.

Um the biggest thing that is being forgotten is Plasma still uses a glass front panel in which it will cause more reflections if put into a room with a lot of uncontrolled light, IE why an LED or LCD would be better in that application.

Sure there is anti glare but it can only take you so far as its still glass....and if putting into a room with a lot of light, the LED is nice to have that extra pop as the plasma with daytime view can look too dim.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Squeezebox Touch
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Um the biggest thing that is being forgotten is Plasma still uses a glass front panel in which it will cause more reflections if put into a room with a lot of uncontrolled light, IE why an LED or LCD would be better in that application.

Sure there is anti glare but it can only take you so far as its still glass....and if putting into a room with a lot of light, the LED is nice to have that extra pop as the plasma with daytime view can look too dim.
    That is why the invented curtains .. I have a huge picture window in and it's not that bad at all. The Glare screens are pretty good on today's plasma's

And remember LED is LCD.

If the are the same please do this. Rip the back out of the LED and LCD set and compare, pretty sure you will be in for a surprise. Yes the front panel is the same, but the way they are lit is different, geezee.

and if you don't have curtains or like to do low light level viewing, Yeah it makes a difference. Big deal I called your baby ugly, get over it.

I like plasma personally just because its a cheaper TV doesn't make it bad, its just cheaper.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Squeezebox Touch
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

If the are the same please do this. Rip the back out of the LED and LCD set and compare, pretty sure you will be in for a surprise. Yes the front panel is the same, but the way they are lit is different, geezee.

and if you don't have curtains or like to do low light level viewing, Yeah it makes a difference. Big deal I called your baby ugly, get over it.

I like plasma personally just because its a cheaper TV doesn't make it bad, its just cheaper.
    Are you mental? LED isn't the graphics engine.....it's the bulb that lights the set as opposed to the older tube bulbs........

Both are LCD sets that are illuminated differently.......thus......LED IS LCD.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

Whatever. I really don't give a **** anymore and Brett get off your high horse. You want to call me mental?
    Last edited by cstmar01; 11-05-2010 at 07:37 PM.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Squeezebox Touch
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Different bulb doesn't mean that an LED tv is not LCD moron. I completely understand you know there's a different bulb involved in standard LCD and LED LCD sets, but your overreaction to grif typing that LED is LCD makes you seem like you don't know they are ultimately the same tv technology, with different light options......

When you post, it would help if it didn't read like you're a 15yo......like, ya know?

You don't have to ask me if I want to call you mental.....it's already been done....

You just get to prove me wrong by acting like you're older than 15......simple.

then how about this. I won't ever bother speaking to you Brett. I don't give a ratass about you and you don't like how I post, then stop reading it and put me on ignore. If you go to the next polkfest I won't ever bother talking to you, fair? You can keep riding around CP on your high horse, judge someone from a post, unless you have acutally bothered to read my others, which you never comment on them so why starting now I don't know but you have apparently seeing you must think I'm a 15 year old (yo as you like to put).
    Last edited by cstmar01; 11-05-2010 at 08:00 PM.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Squeezebox Touch
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

So anyways........Plasma's of old use to put off a LOT more heat than the newer versions. If you need a tv to generate heat in the bedroom, I'd suggest a blue pill or something........:tongue:

Quote Originally Posted by brettw22 View Post
    Are you mental? LED isn't the graphics engine.....it's the bulb that lights the set as opposed to the older tube bulbs........

Both are LCD sets that are illuminated differently.......thus......LED IS LCD.
    LOL, so many people just don't understand.

Thread Information