Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amp confusion

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Amp confusion

my setup consists of -rti10's, csi5, fxi3, & psw 505. onkyo 905 as my avr. now im looking into seperate amps & ran into a problem. im looking at an Emotiva xpa5 & xpa3. is this going to be too much power??? i want to use the xpa5 for the low input on the 10's & center & surrounds, then use the xpa3 on the high input on the 10's & center. now is this too much or should i just power everything with just the xpa5 & be happy. comments and input are greatly appreciated. thanx

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Power everything with a 5-channel amp and let that sound settle in on you for a while. Read up on bi-amping, so you can make a well-informed decision on it later. Personally, I think it's unnecessary, and in your case (gear very similar to mine), the difference/improvement will be negligible. Enjoy!
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Member Sales Rating: (21)

I would recommend you begin with an Odyssey or NAD two channel amplifier and let your receiver power the rest of your speakers.

The Emotiva are bright your treble will sound as if it is simply on top of what ever you are listening to not a part of it. Those particular Polk speakers rti10 are already forward sounding enough.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords

Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I think in that setup, running the XPA-5 will be plenty. No reason to BIAMP those IMHO. The XPA-5 is a good budget amp and it is at a decent price right now. Have you considered used amplification at all? There are many good deals on used amps that I think would outperform the XPA-5...

The other thing you have to remember is that RTi's are inherently bright, and Emotiva amps tend to be bright, so it can be a rough combo...

Ooops.... Beat me to it RT1!

Don

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by dcmartinpc View Post
    I think in that setup, running the XPA-5 will be plenty. No reason to BIAMP those IMHO. The XPA-5 is a good budget amp and it is at a decent price right now. Have you considered used amplification at all? There are many good deals on used amps that I think would outperform the XPA-5...

The other thing you have to remember is that RTi's are inherently bright, and Emotiva amps tend to be bright, so it can be a rough combo...

Ooops.... Beat me to it RT1!

Don
    RTi's are not bright....they have sparkle!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Even an older B&K would work nicely.

There is no such thing as too much power. Your ears will give out before the speakers do. So amp up and enjoy. Welcome to Club Polk.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by King J View Post
    my setup consists of -rti10's, csi5, fxi3, & psw 505. onkyo 905 as my avr. now im looking into seperate amps & ran into a problem. im looking at an Emotiva xpa5 & xpa3. is this going to be too much power??? i want to use the xpa5 for the low input on the 10's & center & surrounds, then use the xpa3 on the high input on the 10's & center. now is this too much or should i just power everything with just the xpa5 & be happy. comments and input are greatly appreciated. thanx
    With your combination of equipment, I would recommend that all you will need is the XPA-3 amp to power your front end and power your surrounds with your Onkyo 905. The Emotiva amps are fine amps, I own several, but there is the law of diminishing returns here and your Onkyo is more than capable to power the surrounds. In your case, biamping will provide little noticable improvement and isn't worth it.

Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC122, MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201, MCD301, MR85, MX130, MX134
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

RTi's and Emotiva can be a very forward and bright sounding presentation. Perhaps good for HT but definitely not for music if you are looking to get the best possible enjoyment for extended listening sessions.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

thanks for all of the input. its 90% ht & 10% music. one last question/option though, would an xpa2 on the towers & the xpa3 on the centers & surrounds be cool or should i just stick with the xpa3 for the fronts and call it a day?

I'd get either the 2 channel or the 3 channel. You don't need both with that setup. Personally I'd pass on the Emo (I have owned one), but I do understand the price is right on those things plus you get a warranty, etc.

If you intend to upgrade your speakers in the future then maybe the 2+3 or the 5 channel amps make sense.
    System
    ModWright SWL 9.0SE Signature Preamp | Aragon 8008 Mk II Amplifier
    Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers
    Squeezebox Touch |Rega DAC
    | Jolida JD-100A CDP | Sansui TU-717 Tuner (Joseph Chow Mods)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Even an older B&K would work nicely.
    That or a Parasound will tame the highs somewhat.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Home Theater: polkaudio Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL's, LSiM706c, 4 X TC265i Rears, SVS PB12 Plus/2
    Pioneer Elite SC-67, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, Oppo BDP-83[/SIZE]

Member Sales Rating: (2)

thanks for all of the input. its 90% ht & 10% music. one last question/option though, would an xpa2 on the towers & the xpa3 on the centers & surrounds be cool or should i just stick with the xpa3 for the fronts and call it a day?
    That's exactly what I had. It was not worth the money. A 5-channel will do the same for far less. I scaled back to what I have now without diminishing performance, and had some extra cash to spend on other toys.

Stick with the XPA-3 for the fronts. You also have thirty days to return it.
    Compare the sound to running all the speakers directly off the Onkyo.
    Let your ears decide.

I found that the Emotiva amps worked really well with the RTi12 speakers.
    I first used the XPA-5, then later picked up a pair of UPA-1 mono amps.
    I listen to them almost every night.

The UPA-1's are nice amps to consider.
    Last edited by xcapri79; 11-06-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Banned

Still don't get why a person would use an amp to correct a few $$ in parts problem when it comes to the RTi line up (for music listening).

Pad down the tweeter with a different resistor to tame the high's. As I understand the Polk line up the RTi's are Polks top speaker really meant for HT so they would understandably be designed with an aggressive top end. The LSi's are more the musical.

When I built my ZDT3.5's I made sure to have 2 extra resistors for the tweeter circuit that were above and below the median value. This allowed me to tweak if I found the top end either to aggressive or rolled off too much.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I would go with a 2 channel amp and a 3 channel amp. But I also listen to alot of music. I personally went with a seperate 2 channel amp for my fronts and a 5 channel amp for everything else. For my system there was a noticeble difference when I added a 2 channel amp to the 5 channel. The 2 channel amp has more omph, more kick, more detail, more everything. Both of these amps are from the same B & K reference line with just about the same watts per channel. So I would do a 2 and a 3 or 5 channel amp. To me there is a difference. YMMV
    Last edited by rdb2001; 11-07-2010 at 04:09 PM.

b&k 200.5 or 200.7 is my choice. you get them for decent price in Used market.

Thread Information