Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default To the Over 40 Crowd

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... Barefoot... BOTH ways. Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way I was going to lay a bunch of stuff like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But since I'm still not over the ripe old age of 40, I can't help but look around and notice the elders of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you lived in Utopia!

And I hate to say it, but you old farts today, you don't know how good you had it!

1) When I was a kid we had the Internet. If we want to find something, we just Google it. I mean, its a useful tool and all when you aren't buried under pop-up ads and hidden trojans and spyware. Hell, sometimes I even ended up on some adult website I never intended to go to...

2) There was no email!! You didn't have to worry about your mail going directly into a spam folder never to see the light of day. At least with the good ole mail, your meaningful letters had a chance before they got discarded with all the ***** enlargement spam mail.

3) Child Protective Services didn't care if your parents beat you. Instead of wishing your peers would have some sense beat into them, they actually DID!! Now, if you spit in the wind and it hits someone on the shoe, you get charged with assault.

4) There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to hear music the way it was intended, you could. Instead, we get the torn down results of compression and have to worry for the rest of our lives about the integrity of recorded music. Think you could deal with that?!?!?

5) We don't have the choice to tape anything anymore. It's a dead format. Instead, we have to go through the hassle of finding people who already have the music and rip it off their copies.

6) You didn't have fancy stuff like Call Waiting! When people called, they were ignored. You could leave the phone off the hook and never have to talk to anyone all day! Nowadays, we have to ignore them and they go directly to voice mail. What a way to piss off everyone you know, eventually leaving you alone with no need for Call Waiting.

7) Everyone and their dog has a cell phone now. No sneaking out or being somewhere you weren't allowed to be. Now phones come with GPS built-in so that our parents can track us at any time. No more trips to the "library" for us.

8) How...in the world... did you ever live without Caller ID? Its a Godsend. I pity you old farts.

9) You guys didn't have all these fancy consoles and computers. Instead, you had a joystick and a button. It was so easy your fourth cousin (whose parents were your first and third cousins) could pick it up and play. Hell, he'd even beat your high score!!! Then you'd have a whole month of fun trying to knock "ASS" off the high score leaderboards.

10) You had a TV Guide that held everything you could possibly watch for a month listed in it. One stop shop for all your TV needs. Instead, we have to scroll through menus as we watch our favorite programs, further distancing ourselves from television nirvana. You also didn't have to worry about remotes. Lose this sucker and you're screwed for the next 20 minutes, until you finally find it. No walking up and changing the channel. Noooo, everything is buried under menus. You even had scrollers to adjust the picture. That's buried under even MORE menus. Life must have been so much easier.

11) There was no Cartoon Network either! Instead of getting cartoons every day, you had one day to cram it all in. It wasn't a Saturday full of Ed, Edd, n Eddy. Noooo, you got quality cartoons. A little bit of Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Pink Panther. You should pity us for having to put up with such crap as Ren and Stimpy!!

12) We all know you would have had no use for microwaves. Momma cooked everything and had it on the table at 6:00 PM sharp. Now, we have to pull something out of the freezer and heat it up ourselves. Where has the world gone?

13) Yeah, I'm kind of done. CHEERS

Regards,
    The Under 40 Crowd

Member Sales Rating: (36)

Now that's an awesome response. Suck that you old farts.

cant we all just get along...:tongue:
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    cant we all just get along...:tongue:
    No. Although in this case, I don't think the older crowd will mind us playing our music too loud. :tongue:

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    No. Although in this case, I don't think the older crowd will mind us playing our music too loud. :tongue:
    They just turn off their hearing aids...
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I take offense to the slight against Ren and Stimpy. That **** was genius.
    Other than that... well done.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore

Thank you, you young whippersnapper!!!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

That is pretty funny. Though I do believe that life is just as hard now is it was then and will be tomorrow.

Life is hard, drink a good Scotch, smoke a good Cigar and talk to a pretty lady and all will be right in the world for a little while.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t

You people bitch too much.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    1) When I was a kid we had the Internet. If we want to find something, we just Google it. I mean, its a useful tool and all when you aren't buried under pop-up ads and hidden trojans and spyware. Hell, sometimes I even ended up on some adult website I never intended to go to...
    That's why "some" of us youngins (39) run Opera or Firefox and don't have those problems.:tongue: Well.....very few of those problems anyway.

9) You guys didn't have all these fancy consoles and computers. Instead, you had a joystick and a button.
    Hey now, I had an Atari 2600!

And John, you having a Midol moment there? :tongue:
    --Gary--

Nice!... I'm over 40 but I vote for this version as the winner.
    System
    ModWright SWL 9.0SE Signature Preamp | Aragon 8008 Mk II Amplifier
    Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers
    Squeezebox Touch |Rega DAC
    | Jolida JD-100A CDP | Sansui TU-717 Tuner (Joseph Chow Mods)

We had it great! We got to share our phone line with a dozen other families that always listened in on the party line. No deep dark secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by thuffman03 View Post
    That is pretty funny. Though I do believe that life is just as hard now is it was then and will be tomorrow.

Life is hard, drink a good Scotch, smoke a good Cigar and talk to a pretty lady and all will be right in the world for a little while.
    I think there are stresses now that weren't there 'back in the day,' but I would definitely say my parents had it harder than I did.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

I'm seventy +, and every thing was in order, crystal set, radio, hi- fi, then sterio build your own tube set, turntables, reel to reel, dinkey little b&w TV, great neighborhood saloons, Rush St. on the weekends, Born in Oak Park, Ill. Real good friends, most of them dead now.... Yeah it's a good life, and what you made out of it, it dosen't make you....
    I really like this!!! "Life is hard, drink a good Scotch, smoke a good Cigar and talk to a pretty lady and all will be right in the world for a little while." AMEN!!!! I'll drink to that!!!
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Seems to me. most of the things you mentioned concern things inside....We spent our lives outside as kids.

No one really ever got any phone calls compared to mom, and she was the only one that answered the phone... she was the caller ID.

While we didn't have microwaves, we had TV dinners - either store bought or made by Mom.

We got up early to get our cartoon fix in. No sleeping till noon. If you wanted to watch them they were on from 5a - 7a in the morning (or Sat till noon). After cartoons..... we were outside again.

Scott
    (and no I didn't take any offense to the comments but it is amazing how life changes as technology changes)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa

My Mid-Fi Systems - In The Showcase

Love your post DSKIp, great come back to our old fart bitching

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... Barefoot... BOTH ways. Yadda, yadda, yadda
    I am 54 and both of my sons are in their mid 20s and I am avoiding babling about ''How hard things were'' as I want my sons to enjoy seeing their father as often as they can-want. The only time(s) I'll talk about my good old days is when they invite me to do so (meaning they enjoy it).

But since I'm still not over the ripe old age of 40, I can't help but look around and notice the elders of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you lived in Utopia!

And I hate to say it, but you old farts today, you don't know how good you had it!
    There are area where IMHO we had it better while some areas the younger genaration had it better. Overall, the newer generation doesn't have it any easier IMHO, the tougher sides are just in different areas. The healthy way about it is that my generation can at least see that their glass is - was half filled while the newer generation should also do the same. One area we (the old fart generation had it) is finding a job. It was so easy in our early days while it is quite a challenge for the younger generation.

Cheers!
    TK

We were tough back then.

Send the younger generation back 30 or 40 years WITHOUT their computers and internet and force them to find information the old fashioned way...I'd love to see that!

Now take away their cellphones and texting, cable tv (You get CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, and one or two local channels...ONLY), take away their ipods or similar music recording device, take away their video games...

Add the DRAFT

Put todays generation into this situation and let's see how tough they are. Just taking away their text messaging and internet alone would have them curled up in the fetal position, sucking their thumbs in no time.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I turn 40 next year and I'm terrified.

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    We were tough back then.

Send the younger generation back 30 or 40 years WITHOUT their computers and internet and force them to find information the old fashioned way...I'd love to see that!

Now take away their cellphones and texting, cable tv (You get CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, and one or two local channels...ONLY), take away their ipods or similar music recording device, take away their video games...

Add the DRAFT

Put todays generation into this situation and let's see how tough they are. Just taking away their text messaging and internet alone would have them curled up in the fetal position, sucking their thumbs in no time.
    :tongue:
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D

Member Sales Rating: (55)

I feel all your pain. Tough **** anyway.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    We were tough back then.

Add the DRAFT

You mean people become acclimated to things they grow up with? I t hink we should take you folks from the 60's, throw you back into the time before the Industrial Revolution, see what pussies you are.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Quote Originally Posted by warren View Post
    I'm seventy +, and every thing was in order, crystal set, radio, hi- fi, then sterio build your own tube set, turntables, reel to reel, dinkey little b&w TV, great neighborhood saloons, Rush St. on the weekends, Born in Oak Park, Ill. Real good friends, most of them dead now.... Yeah it's a good life, and what you made out of it, it dosen't make you....
    I really like this!!! "Life is hard, drink a good Scotch, smoke a good Cigar and talk to a pretty lady and all will be right in the world for a little while." AMEN!!!! I'll drink to that!!!
    Oak Park eh....used to hang out at Philanders all the time. Free hard boiled eggs on the counter,nice music,good crowd. Lots of a shot and a beer joints too,no girly drinks,where you actually made friends.

I tend to agree with some of you, take away the technology, throw in the draft, todays kids would hide under the covers. They think bullys exist now ? Crap, we had more back then that you can shake a stick at,yet today,it's a big problem. Anyway,I enjoy the age I'm at now with one foot in both worlds. Each with it's own benefits and hardships. To tell the truth though, if given a choice, I much prefer the older times when people actually had to interact with each other face to face. Now we all have become hermits,hiding behind keyboards.

the audio equipment was tubes which were less than a dollar to buy.
    lots of surplus stores
    5 cents for a bottle of pop

I finally see the light. Anyone between the ages of 40-65 is obviously perfection incarnate. Millions and millions of years of evolution has finally led to the shining pinnacle that is 1950-67. Unbelievable! I truly lament those before and those after.

Is this what Nietzsche meant by Ubernensch? Because I truly am jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie boy 2000 View Post
    I finally see the light. Anyone between the ages of 40-65 is obviously perfection incarnate. Millions and millions of years of evolution has finally led to the shining pinnacle that is 1950-67. Unbelievable! I truly lament those before and those after.

Far from perfection, and I may add,your still not getting it. The reason we relish those times, aside from the stroll down memory lane, is that because it taught us valuable lessons that seem lacking in todays society. Character building,responsibility, how to do without to achieve the desired results, overcomming obstacles,adapting, compassion, the importance of family,religion, and human interaction. Hard work, cooperation, doing what ever it takes to put food on the table instead of crying for gov. handouts. No, perfection on any level we were not. Frankly, alot of us failed to hand down some basic principles. I'm not saying this generation is completely void of any principles, just some misplaced ones. Of coarse this is just my opinion. This generation does learn the same lessons, just in a different way,and at a much longer time frame.

And you don't think your father said the same thing about your generation? And your father's father about his? And so on? Let's make some attempt at perspective here.

I've heard twenty-somethings on this very Forum weep for the "youth of today". Doesn't this clue you onto a pattern here?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Far from perfection, and I may add,your still not getting it. The reason we relish those times, aside from the stroll down memory lane, is that because it taught us valuable lessons that seem lacking in todays society. Character building,responsibility, how to do without to achieve the desired results, overcomming obstacles,adapting, compassion, the importance of family,religion, and human interaction. Hard work, cooperation, doing what ever it takes to put food on the table instead of crying for gov. handouts. No, perfection on any level we were not. Frankly, alot of us failed to hand down some basic principles. I'm not saying this generation is completely void of any principles, just some misplaced ones. Of coarse this is just my opinion. This generation does learn the same lessons, just in a different way,and at a much longer time frame.
    You don't seem to get it either. Those of us who had the qualities instilled in us that you mention are just as frustrated as you are. Right now, the government is set up to further divide the middle class into upper/lower classes. They think they are doing the right thing by providing the lower class opportunities, but those of us who don't have the support around us that they think we have get doubly screwed. We can't qualify for any kind of support, whether it be financial aid, medical assistance, you name it, and we don't get the support from family that is expected.

I had to get married to get any kind of beneficial financial aid. I was able to get a student loan for $3500 for a year at UTA prior to marriage. This only covered about 1/4 of my tuition. The rest went on credit cards and working my butt off. I have about 9 hours of credit to show for my efforts because of it.

I also get to listen to my cousin talk about how she is having her child free of charge and even gets to enjoy a steak or lobster dinner with her husband after the birth thanks to medicaid. We were denied when we really needed it because we were responsible and had about $1,000 too much in our savings to qualify. It didn't matter that we made well below the qualifying income at the time. I had to drop out of school for a year to make sure we survived through the birthing and first few months of his life.

What do I have to show for it? Immaculate credit and no debt other than student loans. Fortunately, this means we can possibly purchase a house on our own. Unfortunately, I'm 25 and still have a few years of college left.

We never wanted to be one of the millions that have their hands out wanting "free money". We needed assistance and got rejected. We've worked our asses off to get where we are and it pisses us off royally to see what others are provided on our dime.

...My point is that I believe most of us see the same things you see going on. It sits about as well with us as it does with you. My son will be raised very much the same as I was raised and my father was raised. I don't want him to expect bailouts every time he gets in a bind.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by zombie boy 2000 View Post

Every generation thinks that it is the "ONE"! And NONE ever is. As you AGE you realize that. When you're young...well...you think things like the above! The rest of us know better. And guess what....so will you when we're dead.

Here's one thing to think about though. People in my age group, some, like myself, have experienced the entire historical gamut from peasant villages in Europe with no running water, no electricity or appliances, outhouses, and food you grow yourself on your farm to the present age of nanotechnology, human genome mapping, genetic engineering.....laptops that make Eniac seem like a Toys-are-us PC, moonlandings, internet and virtual reality, the DREADED cellphone, etc. And guess what....A LOT of us are as Technically proficient as most 'any' youngster?? So all that life experience and we're also still able to keep up with our under 40 colleagues and teach them a thing or two.

The reason is NOT that we're so hot...but that we lived at the intersection, technological watershed, between the Industrial age and the present age. Because our grandparents were awed by airplanes and trains. Couldn't wrap their minds around that....and finally--aren't most of us your parents. The guys and gals that gave you that desire to go out to learn, to expose yourself to the new, to never give up and never accept the present as it is but try to better yourselves. And isn't that what most of you ARE doing?

The best? Not by any stretch. But witness to the most change? Possibly. And we're still learning new things while passing on the best of what WAS! Most societies respect that function of the elders, but once they set on a path of Modernization, the old become those fools who do not know. The problem is that most of my friends have Ph.D.s and M.A.s--we spend our lives 'teaching the YOUNG' to think, question, and learn??

Learn to celebrate YOUTH and WISDOM. Society needs both. It needs CHANGE but it also needs CONTINUITY and HISTORY! And generations are more continuous than discontinuous. Ask any teenager whose heart breaks after his first love affair?

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 11-10-2010 at 11:19 AM.

cnh, the problem here is not that the younger folks think the older folks are a bunch of nattering nincompoops drooling on themselves and undeserving of any respect. The problem is that overwhelming attitude of those older folks towards the younger folks is of complete disrespect and dismissal. No one ever said that the young whippersnappers couldn't learn anything from the elderly curmudgeons but then again, those same elderly curmudgeons should take a breath and listen to the whippersnappers sometimes. Might learn a thing or two about this modern world that scares all of you so much.

The old folks talk about all kinds of outdated and obsolete stuff that they knew about. Well, guess what? You old folks, you're the ones who put these infernal changes in place that provided the world today's youth have grown up in. Yeah, that's right. You're the ones to blame. Not us. We had this malarkey thrust upon us and were told to "deal with it because that's what MY parents told me when I was YOUR age!"

Now all you senile old coots can do is tell us damn kids that we're a bunch of whiny babies. We don't want to work hard, we don't want to go to war, we don't understand the value of a dollar...yada, yada, yada. Well no, we don't want to work hard. No one does. Not even you, you old coots! So stop holding it over our heads like it's something new. Be thankful that we took the time to improve and automate a bunch of stuff that computers are way better at doing than some crotchety old coot rambling on about days gone by. I mean, you guys thought that stuff like "The Clapper" and calculator watches were pretty cool ideas. Now you have cellphones that can connect to your home network and turn on your lights or turn them off while you're on the other side of the world...if you like. You're welcome for that. Oh, yeah, your cellphone has a scientific calculator in it too. You're also welcome for that.

And no, we don't want to go to war. That's why we like to talk our way out of it. Just like you guys. But we go if there's no other choice. Then again, I dunno if you noticed but, bullets kinda hurt. Gettin' killed sucks. That's why we took all those ideas from all those video game systems YOU GUYS made and then gave to use to babysit us while you had your social lives and made stuff like Predator drones. So we can sit in an easy chair in Cape Canaveral, Florida while our enemies die at the hands of our robots on the otherside of the world. We don't HAVE to go in to harms way anymore. THAT is awesome. Because now, you don't have to comfort your WIFE because YOUR SON was killed on some godforsaken rock in the middle of nowhere by some cowardly bomber with a stick of dynamite and a can of nails. Your welcome for that too.

Oh and believe me, we DO understand the value of a dollar. Especially when we're fresh out of school and can't find a JOB because YOU old coots screwed the banking system up so bad you plunged the ENTIRE COUNTRY in to a crippling economic depression that has sent financial shock waves throughout the world. Yeah, thanks for that. You're da best!

Yeah, things were better back then because you guys hadn't screwed it all up yet.

Buncha jerks.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

I bet that cowardly bomber had to walk uphill both ways through ten feet of snow with that stick of dynamite and a can of nails. Probably because his father would give him quite the ass-whoopin' if he did otherwise.

Thread Information