Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Monitor 40s (for the bedroom)

Just ordered a pair of Monitor 40s from Newegg. Will combine with a CS2 center and a PSW111 (or two) sub as replacement for the Bose Acoustimass 7 (sp?) and Boston 10" sub system currently in our bedroom.

While not having set my expectations too high, was pleased to read several favorable reviews for these speakers.

The one comment I saw that did get my attention was that these (not too) little guys need significant power. Specs read 20-125 watts. There's a Sony AVR to power these speakers and I believe it is a fairly low powered receiver.

Other than the "you can never have too much power" belief we all share here at the forum, can anyone comment about the appetite of these spekers?

Thanks,

Dave
    Marantz AV7005
    Marantz MM7055
    Onkyo DX-755 CdP
    Oppo BDP-93
    Technics SL-1301/Shure M97xE
    Polk RTi A7s
    Polk CSi A6
    Polk FXi A6s
    Velodyne VDR10-BV
    Panamax M5100-PM
    Antec VERIS A/V Cooler x 2

The Monitor series are very easy to drive. I had them hooked up to a Denon 1802 and they were awesome! They do seem sensitive to placement however. As do a lot of speakers. A minimum of two inches from a wall. A foot seemed to be optimal in my room but, that is sticking out a bit for most. Enjoy!

I had a Monitor 40, CS1 setup driven by a old Sony STR-K7000 reciever (from a cheap HTIAB setup). They sounded fine at all volume levels.

I doubt your looking to have concert levels in your bedroom and you should be fine. The power draw needed for them is quite low and your Sony should be fine.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Last week I powered a pair of Monitor 70's with an Onkyo TX8211 (peak 50wpc) just to see how they sounded and they did quite well. So I see no issues with your Sony in driving the 40's.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I think the Monitor 40's are a fantastic budget choice, maybe the jewel of low cost boxes. They can certainly handle power and would say the use of the term "drive them" very subjective. While they sounded good powered with a reciever (105w), boy can they really open up and perform with a seperate amp spitting out 220w peaks. I did find the top end on these speakers a bit too much for my taste although that may be a plus in a bedroom depending on furniture layout, ect. Low end absolutely blew me away when pushed for such a small box.

Give these guy's a couple weeks easy break in, they seemed to get better and better over about a four week peroid with the set I had. Enjoy!

Appreciate the feedback. Dug thru my "electronics library" last nite and found the OM for that Sony. It's an STR-DE987 6.1 model. Claims 100w w/two channels driven. I've never really used it for other than the occasional cd or movie ... but now think it will be fine powering the M40s and center. Again, appreciate the input.

Agree that placement in a bedroom - especially ours - could be tricky. It's absolutely full of big furniture, soft bed and chairs ... tons of stuff to eat up sound. I scored a pair of 24 inch Sanus stands to get the Ms up and off the walls. The center will end up above the TV on top of the armoire, no choice there. My wife has this apparent phobia about leaving any wall space unused.

Definitely hoping for the best. Thanks again for the comments.

Dave
    Marantz AV7005
    Marantz MM7055
    Onkyo DX-755 CdP
    Oppo BDP-93
    Technics SL-1301/Shure M97xE
    Polk RTi A7s
    Polk CSi A6
    Polk FXi A6s
    Velodyne VDR10-BV
    Panamax M5100-PM
    Antec VERIS A/V Cooler x 2