Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Listening to Music

With everything seemingly to be dropping analog connections (RCA) in favor of digital ones (HDMI, SPDIF/Optical) I was curious as to what the reasons would be to stick with or go back to analog?

Currently all my gear is connected via HDMI so I have never really experienced the differences.

Not looking to start a massive flame war one way or the other. I do know that if you are using HDMI or Optical to send music from a player to a reciever it doesnt matter too much the quality of the player since its just sending 1 & 0's and the reciever is doing the decoding.

So I guess my question is why then are companies like Oppo still making super high end players if most folks are bypassing the built in features to send the signal to a different piece of equipment?

It could be I am misunderstanding something in the signal path, hence me asking.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I am fairly new but will relay my experience in the 6 months I have had my system. I listened for the first two months with a PS-3 and an hk dvd 47 player feeding hdmi to my Yamaha AVR.

I live in a medium sized 4 plex apartment so wanted a system for TV, home theater and listening to music. After having my system for two months I found that I use it 60% two channel music, 20% TV and 20% home theater.

I had the same question you did and didn't really like running my PS-3 as much as I was for CD playback and the HK DVD 47 was not all that user friendly. I bought a used Denon 2900 on this forum and WOW. I connected it with Audio Quest copperhead interconnects and there is a huge difference in sound. The Denon sends an analog signal to the AVR.

The answer to the why does this sound so much better is that the digital to analog converter in this DVD player is much, much better than in my Yamaha. I play the Yamaha now in pure direct mode and the Denon is in pure direct two channel mode also.

Problem is, now I'm hooked and realize that I am still down on the entry level of the food chain and it only gets better from here. At the same time, here ain't so bad either!

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    So I guess my question is why then are companies like Oppo still making super high end players if most folks are bypassing the built in features to send the signal to a different piece of equipment?

It could be I am misunderstanding something in the signal path, hence me asking.
    You can't get SACD via digital connection--that's one reason. Not everyone has external DAC's, etc. Oppo probably assumes most users will connect via analog RCA's, given the extra attention to the higher-end models.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I think newer players can send SACD over HDMI (if the receiver supports as well). Or are you referring to optical / coax?
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Thread Information