Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,302

    Default Had my Floors refinished past couple of days

    Check out the before and after Pics!

    http://www.4u2me.com/flortec/index.htm

    Lasareath
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (31)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    14,735

    Default

    Big improvement!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,302

    Default

    Yeah they were shot to **** before.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Denial...it's in Egypt.
    Posts
    12,729

    Default

    Nice.

    Any reason you got them stained? They look like oak. If you left them, they would have darkened naturally to probably the same shade as they are now. They'll darken more as they age too.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gatineau, Quebec Canada
    Posts
    4,262

    Default

    Great job I was in the impression you were to do that job your self?

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,560

    Default

    windows, floors, .....

    what else are you gonna do !

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    3,195

    Default

    I like how you say "no flash on iphone4".... that's true in two ways lol.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

    Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

    Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Nice.

    Any reason you got them stained? They look like oak. If you left them, they would have darkened naturally to probably the same shade as they are now. They'll darken more as they age too.
    We don't like the natural color of oak with poly on it. We wanted some more color from the get go.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Posts
    11,638

    Default

    Nice, but you all are probably going to be slippen & slidin all over the place!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Denial...it's in Egypt.
    Posts
    12,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    We don't like the natural color of oak with poly on it. We wanted some more color from the get go.
    Well, that color is going to darken. Oak changes colors noticeably over time from UV light. My floors are Red Oak but when sanded and poly'ed were quite an orange-ish yellow. But after a summer's worth of sunlight, they have darkened to a deep golden hue with a definitive reddish tinge. I'm not sure what kind of oak your floors are but with the stain, it's probably just going to get more brown and end up close to an unstained walnut or chesnut. Neither are bad looking at all. Just might not be what some people want.

    Here's a walnut flooring without any stain, just a finished clear coat. It's also engineered so it's just a laminate but that's the colors you'll get:



    Here's an antique chestnut. This would be American Chestnut. That would be very hard stuff to get due to blight. The Asian chestnut varieties that you can find now are a bit darker and browner but the oak will likely end up more like this picture:



    And yeah, I'm working on a library now myself. I'm building bookshelves and the floors are already finished Red Oak. But I'm going for more of a mahogany color to match the desk. Bookshelves will be standalone plywood shelves in modular sections. Then they will get trimmed out with solid wood stock mitered and finished to cover gaps, clean up looks and give a finished look. Matching woods and stains gets difficult. Especially since the woods change as they age. It's usually good to go with stains that complement the wood that you're working with so that the aging doesn't change the look as much. I think you did ok though. It looks good and IMO, covering up all that beautiful material with wall to wall carpeting would be a shame.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Nice, but you all are probably going to be slippen & slidin all over the place!
    We got Satin finish. ABSCOE SATIN. They're not that slippery.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    8,008

    Default

    Las, you know I'm not a fan of yours, but do the forum a favor and quit flagging your housework as news. It's ridiculous how important you feel yourself to be......
    .
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    .
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettw22 View Post
    Las, you know I'm not a fan of yours, but do the forum a favor and quit flagging your housework as news. It's ridiculous how important you feel yourself to be......


    You'll just have to leave your closest and come to NJ and make me stop you big cry baby!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    8,008

    Default

    you're still at an age where gay incinuation makes you laugh huh? sounds about right i guess.....

    The intent for the 'news' flag is not so some self-serving member can pretend that he's so important that his floors, his windows, his ipad purchse, blah blah blah is news.

    You're the type of member of the past few years that takes the forum down a few notches. Everything you do seems to be posted in a self promoting way. At some point, you'll understand that YOU are not what this place is about.
    Last edited by brettw22; 11-13-2010 at 11:18 AM.
    .
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    .
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettw22 View Post
    At some point, you'll understand that YOU are not what this place is about.
    LMAO

    I find it so funny that you have to post in every single one of my threads just to try put me down.

    You must really have such a depressing life?

    It's really sad.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,302

    Default

    John Those floors look great!



    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Well, that color is going to darken. Oak changes colors noticeably over time from UV light. My floors are Red Oak but when sanded and poly'ed were quite an orange-ish yellow. But after a summer's worth of sunlight, they have darkened to a deep golden hue with a definitive reddish tinge. I'm not sure what kind of oak your floors are but with the stain, it's probably just going to get more brown and end up close to an unstained walnut or chesnut. Neither are bad looking at all. Just might not be what some people want.

    Here's a walnut flooring without any stain, just a finished clear coat. It's also engineered so it's just a laminate but that's the colors you'll get:



    Here's an antique chestnut. This would be American Chestnut. That would be very hard stuff to get due to blight. The Asian chestnut varieties that you can find now are a bit darker and browner but the oak will likely end up more like this picture:



    And yeah, I'm working on a library now myself. I'm building bookshelves and the floors are already finished Red Oak. But I'm going for more of a mahogany color to match the desk. Bookshelves will be standalone plywood shelves in modular sections. Then they will get trimmed out with solid wood stock mitered and finished to cover gaps, clean up looks and give a finished look. Matching woods and stains gets difficult. Especially since the woods change as they age. It's usually good to go with stains that complement the wood that you're working with so that the aging doesn't change the look as much. I think you did ok though. It looks good and IMO, covering up all that beautiful material with wall to wall carpeting would be a shame.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    8,008

    Default

    I'm not putting you down. I'm simply informing you that everything you do is not NEWS so quit acting like it is. Maybe I have it wrong and you are actually a humble person......
    .
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    .
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (7)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti
    Posts
    12,608

    Default

    humble? No, just a ridiculous need for attention.
    BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    In the middle of somewhere
    Posts
    1,747

    Default

    I think the floors turned out great Sal. Just gotta ask though, why does your dog have a loaf of bread lol?

    John, is that attic or loft pic yours? I kinda like that rustic look.

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Denial...it's in Egypt.
    Posts
    12,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by messiah View Post
    I think the floors turned out great Sal. Just gotta ask though, why does your dog have a loaf of bread lol?

    John, is that attic or loft pic yours? I kinda like that rustic look.
    No, that attic is not mine. Would love to have something like that but I don't.

    You can see shots of the Red oak floors I have from when they were just finished being finished here:

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...highlight=poly

    They are darker now and honestly, the pictures don't show the true colors. The color now is deep and rich and everyone who sees it always says how good it came out.

    I'll have pictures of the library/office when I get it do.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by messiah View Post
    I think the floors turned out great Sal. Just gotta ask though, why does your dog have a loaf of bread lol?

    Thanks, I couldn't find his chew toy, that bread was hard as a rock, He chewed on it for days! LOL
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. QOTD: Sorry I missed the past two days
    By Jstas in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 10:39 AM
  2. Wooden Floors
    By crazy in forum 2 Channel Audio
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 08:58 AM
  3. Refinished SDA-1B's local to Maine $600
    By kelley in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2006, 05:35 PM
  4. Bookshelves vs Floors?
    By reubenray in forum Speakers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-10-2006, 02:06 PM
  5. Question concerning Floors
    By Paul Connor in forum Speakers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-29-2002, 03:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts