Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
    Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Question Beginning to seek TV guidance

While I am definately a few months off from purchasing a new television.... I am beginning to scope out possibilities to upgrade this 20'' Magnavox. It has no av in's or out's and is about as barebones as you can get. Suprisingly enough, its picture is incredibly solid, with vibrant color's. However, I just lust for something a tad better ;)

Here's the deal..

I know nothing about television's, at all. Video never was my forte.

My budget will be 700 dollars. I prefer something at a lower cost, and would only be willing to go higher if I felt the extra money was well worth it.

Im just looking for idea's now, things to keep in mind and brands to look out for.

The tv must be 32 inches. Can be larger, but no smaller.

I *prefer* flat screen...

I dont give two ****s about the on board audio.

I want a TV with a small enclosure.. I dont care for fancy looks, its the screen I care for, and the screen that I want to see.

A/V in's/out's a must. S-video.

Thats about all I can think of boy's. Will appreciate any guidance thats relevant to whats listed above! Thanks!

Regards,

Sean

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Sony...........
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

ditto

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Saw some Sony's. Like their stuff. Afraid it goes a bit beyond my budget however.

Plus, I cant stand their enclosures.

Though, I have been eye-balling/drooling over their **** for quite some time..

Member Sales Rating: (17)

I'm glad I don't know a lot about video. Cheaper that way...
    madmax

Member Sales Rating: (0)

ATC,

Check out the Panasonic Tau series. You get a ton of features for the money. Sony's do have great pictures, but Panasonic tube technology is next in line. Panasonic has a 20% brighter picture than the other sets. I could talk about the technology, but your head may explode.

Panasonic's PureFlat sets use dark glass in the face of the picture tube that is dramatically darker than conventional designs. By having a darker tube, the sets will render a darker black. This is because the blacks on screen will only get as dark as the face of the tube. To check this against other sets, turn them off and notice which sets have darker screens. The Panasonic PureFlats will be among the darkest. Producing a deeper black also means the whites will appear whiter. This will help increase the overall contrast of the set making the picture more vibrant when compared to comparable sets. Colors will also appear more vivid against the darker background.

Their audio is same as most other sets the only thing they do different is they mount the speakers in the rear and port the sound to the front. This gives you a smaller foot print in the front of set to allow you to go with a larger set if your space is limited.

Check them out when your looking.
    Attached Images  
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."

seccond star to the right and strait on to morning

toshiba cinima series are a great tube tv there are 2 in the house and one is over 8 years old and the other is 2 great tv great pic and great price.
    Gonzo's World
    BenQ 8700+
    115in screen
    PS3,X-Box 360 and Wii
    Sunfire Theater Grand III
    ADCOM GFA-7607
    four avalanch 18 subs 26.12l of displacement
    Crown xti 4000

Member Sales Rating: (17)

North Victoria Gardens, Altacucawanda, California

Sean, something like this?
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=149372

granted, it's quite a distance from you, but just to give you a pricing idea within your budget...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Toshiba 36" Cinema Series HD

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Here's a 32" Sony flat screen @ CC for $649

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...-+30-40+inches
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

Sean,

My vote is for Sony as well. I owned a 27 inch and 36 inch Wega and they have a very good picture. The only reason I sold them was because I went to a Mitsu RPTV.

You mention "S" video, but you want to make sure that you have component video for when you get that DVD player. Of course the newer Sony's have the component video inputs.

I've seen those Panasonics and those are nice too.

Paul

Thread Information