Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Default Netflix increasing rates (new streaming only membership at $7.99/month

FS: Analysis Plus Oval One interconnects (3 meter pair with RCA terminations; 1 meter pair also available) http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...10#post1929910
    FS: Roku 2 http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...71#post2033771

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Ouch!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

Inflation is showing its ugly head again....

Member Sales Rating: (13)

even more with the blu-ray option!
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I don't know if it's so much inflation as an indication of how Netflix's service has changed.

They have more people streaming now than before, RedBox is more of a threat to their "new releases" business, etc.

I've been looking for a reason to downgrade from my 3-at-a-time plan that I so rarely get my money's worth of, this is a good motivator.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

I used to get 6 DVD's at a time and then I cancelled it when i learned about torrents.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    I used to get 6 DVD's at a time and then I cancelled it when i learned about torrents.
    I am SO calling the MPAA on you!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNightly View Post
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    Quote Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

Blu-Ray player: Samsung BD-P1600
    TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjoachim View Post
    I am SO calling the MPAA on you!
    I'll take a picture of my Torrent server so that it's easier for them to locate
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    Publically admitting to theft may not be the best idea. Sure I doubt anyone will really care, but still, why risk it?
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I wonder if this is for new members or plan changes only, I haven't received anything from them stating that my current membership is changing. Yet, when you go to their site, the new prices are in effect.

Also, when I go to look at changing my plan options, I get this message:
    Your plan is no longer offered
    You are currently on the 3 DVDs out at-a-time (Unlimited) for $16.99 plan which is no longer offered. If you select a new plan, you will no longer be able to return to this plan.
    I assume they'll eventually make me switch to something else, but for now indications seem to be that I can keep my plan.

So Bob it sounds like you'll have to come up with another reason to downgrade, at least for now...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    Publically admitting to theft may not be the best idea. Sure I doubt anyone will really care, but still, why risk it?

I'm just joking.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Netflix is still a bargain at under $20/mo for 2 DVD's out, 2 Roku boxes, and the BD option.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Got the email form NetFlix today about price increase. $1 per month more will not kill me, still a good deal to me. Plus we are enjoying it, let's me use my system more than I think I normally would.

Totally Still worth every penny. They have a wonderful service. I have had them since the beginning and I have no complaints at all.

I'm completely fine with the small price increase. Gives me more reason to slim down my Cable service that I don't use that much.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Netflix can you know what....Firstly, some of us don't live anywhere near a fiber-optic cable and our internet stutters like mad on High Band streaming? For new releases, for those of us who don't do high volume..Redbox suffices. For older stuff--I have my college library, Netflix?

I just don't like the idea of 'cloud' access! I like to see and feel my mediums and perhaps 'buy' if they're good. You realize that with such models, all of our equipment--those Oppo players and my Pioneer and Sony ES will all become dinosaurs and useless--a direction that irritates me....though I don't mind if it's there. Don't make it the ONLY thing available...?

Like ebooks vs. a REAL library with 1000s of volumes. I have the later and couldn't be happier!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 11-22-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

cnh - it's sad but there's already a deduction to the value of a real estate parcel if it doesn't have access to high-bandwidth internet. And you will see the price of that high-bandwidth access go up. Mind pollution comes at a price!
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

I have been with NetFlix since 1999. At that time it was 4 DVDs out, and then they dropped it to 3. That was not any problem since I get almost same day turn around. Now they are increasing it $3 a month for streaming, and I could care less about that option. They should charge extra for the streamers.

I doubt if I will quit since DVDs are all I basically watch, but I complain to them about it.

I'll probably switch from two to one DVD out

I watch more on Instant Netflix anyways, there's plenty of great films/tv on instant to keep me occupied while I wait for the DVD

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I have been with NetFlix since 1999. At that time it was 4 DVDs out, and then they dropped it to 3. That was not any problem since I get almost same day turn around. Now they are increasing it $3 a month for streaming, and I could care less about that option. They should charge extra for the streamers.

I doubt if I will quit since DVDs are all I basically watch, but I complain to them about it.
    1999 is crazy long ago !!

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    1999 is crazy long ago !!

Unfortunately, it seems like only a short while ago.

so if you stream...is it blu ray quality?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
    so if you stream...is it blu ray quality?
    -Cody
    My undertstanding is it is not even DVD quality (video and audio).

guess thats out for action movies then.

On a Blockbuster sucks note...

Last time I went in I found out they no longer have 1 day movie rentals.

Anyway, we rent a couple movies, return them last week...then I get charged today. Call them up. Evidently, they didn't scan one of the movies back in, it got put on the shelf...then someone else checked it out. So when someone else checked it out, it told the computer I had returned it that day.

Which is a bull s*** procedure to have in place. If someone is checking a movie out when it says its ALREADY checked out to someone else, any late fee should be negated because obviously someone messed up.

Anyway, they can't refund my card unless they go back to the store (but they sure as hell can charge you without you being there!). They did, however, give me $8 in credit for a $4.29 charge. So they did make it right...but it just makes you wonder how many times this happens and people don't notice?

I'm eventually going to switch over to netflix. If there weren't late fees, this would never be a problem.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

your right but not by much, I use the stream only service its not bad for the rest of the family being they are not as picky as I am.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan

Member Sales Rating: (2)

My wife uses the netflix streaming every day...all day...for my kids. They love Dora and Diego.

Quality-wise, it's definitely not pretty on a "22 meg" connection. Since that is only 2.2mB/s(max), I'm not expecting much from SD shows. She has the "stream only" package right now, though I haven't tried and HD shows yet.

My TV had Blockbuster online built-in, and I can also stream movies to my TV directly from my computer using it's built-in decoder...so I might give Blockbuster online a shot the next time they have "first month free!" or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNightly View Post
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    Quote Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

Blu-Ray player: Samsung BD-P1600
    TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV

We just bought a new TV that has the Netflix widget(among others). I'm really liking it since there are some shows I've watched in the past but never saw the 1st season or so. Just set up the 1st and 2nd season of SNL just to relive some late night parties :)

Thread Information