Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Default My Rotel receiver disaster

I wanted to start a new thread to avoid further discussion of my filthy drinking habits. (sorry this should probably be in trouble shooting...but it is a lot of trouble!)

A couple summary points before the pics:

1. No problem with analog inputs, including multi-channel and including downmixing digital to 2 channel

2. If a source can start in DD mode and stay there, then there seems to be no problem..the problems with 5.1 DVDs is that the receiver is in a default mode until it gets the DD signal and so it seems to switch regardless and then have the issues described below.

3. If the input digital signal changes from DD to stereo or vice versa, then sometimes a pop or two in center channel, and then a dop out on audio and then no audio.

4. I have no problems with volume out (power) when it is working...analogs play nice and loud...moderate heat...and digital plays with no volume issues...

Pics:

1. Shows yellowing on the conduit wrapped around the toroidal transformer (right....don't know if this is normal)

2. The multichannel board is yellowed with some crappy looking stuff on solders...but I have no issues with this..

3. On the preouts, which is I wrongly plugged in the outputs from the OPPO BDP, the center and sub are cracked and a connection is loose...but I did not plug anything into sub preout and doubt this is an issue.

So, I don't really know what I would report from a physical point of view....

I will contact Rotel...I could remove one of the circuit boards maybe, if they can identify it and get it replaced??? yeah, right....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Toroidal whatever.jpg‎
Views:	112
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	53474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Multichannel input.jpg‎
Views:	117
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	53475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Preouts.jpg‎
Views:	106
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	53476   Click image for larger version

Name:	The innards.jpg‎
Views:	115
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	53477  

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter

Sorry to hear (read) about your predicament NG...I might be wrong, but the "stuff" around those larger caps in pic2 might indicate that they cooked/leaked a bit even though they don't appear to be overly swelled...but I'd guess that if that was a problem, you'd have issues with analog as well. There are probably techs on this forum with a lot more knowledge...good luck.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

3. On the preouts, which is I wrongly plugged in the outputs from the OPPO BDP, the center and sub are cracked and a connection is loose...but I did not plug anything into sub preout and doubt this is an issue.
    1 and 2 I wouldn't worry about but #3 is a concern. Can you lead us to which pic is related and maybe some close ups of the potential damage (I try too zoom on your pics but the end result is not that great neither my eyes (No I haven't been drinkin ))? When you say "cracked" do you mean the board or the solder (cold solder joint)? A loose connection is also a good candidate for intermittent problem as it might make decent contact while cold but as the board and components warms up it may expand and no longer make for a decent connection.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Neil, talk to rotel cs....send it in and be done with it. Your just going to have to bite the bullet on this as an easy fix it appears, is not in the cards. Crap happens sometimes bro.

Member Sales Rating: (21)

thanks for all of the assistance....It is just the plastic that forms the plug for the preout that is cracked.....no solder or board.....why I don't think this is related is that the preout jack that is cracked is for the sub and I didn't plug into that output....

so I have watched two movies this afternoon and evening...for both, I got the movie going and selected the soundtrack...one DTS MA and one DD 5.1 and used digital input for both, and then turned the receiver on...it is in stereo default and then I hit so it selects DD/DTS and it does and plays for the entire movie without problem..... a decent work around for when I want DD....or DTS.

I will post a pic of the output plug, but I don't think that is issue....with the work around and the ability to use the multi channel analogs, I think I still have a very useable machine...just can't jump around on different digital input signalss or from analog back to digital...

I hear ya tonyb...but I can get everything to work...just miss a few options to jump around...which is ok...thanks

Thread Information