I wanted to start a new thread to avoid further discussion of my filthy drinking habits. (sorry this should probably be in trouble shooting...but it is a lot of trouble!)
A couple summary points before the pics:
1. No problem with analog inputs, including multi-channel and including downmixing digital to 2 channel
2. If a source can start in DD mode and stay there, then there seems to be no problem..the problems with 5.1 DVDs is that the receiver is in a default mode until it gets the DD signal and so it seems to switch regardless and then have the issues described below.
3. If the input digital signal changes from DD to stereo or vice versa, then sometimes a pop or two in center channel, and then a dop out on audio and then no audio.
4. I have no problems with volume out (power) when it is working...analogs play nice and loud...moderate heat...and digital plays with no volume issues...
1. Shows yellowing on the conduit wrapped around the toroidal transformer (right....don't know if this is normal)
2. The multichannel board is yellowed with some crappy looking stuff on solders...but I have no issues with this..
3. On the preouts, which is I wrongly plugged in the outputs from the OPPO BDP, the center and sub are cracked and a connection is loose...but I did not plug anything into sub preout and doubt this is an issue.
So, I don't really know what I would report from a physical point of view....
I will contact Rotel...I could remove one of the circuit boards maybe, if they can identify it and get it replaced??? yeah, right....