Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Default sony bdp-s570 blu ray confusion

I've seen the aforementioned player discussed a little bit in this forum (mostly on general performance etc) and of course elsewhere. Its seems to have a decent review and supposedly plays 3d, with the recent firmeware upgrades. Still had a few questions that I hope some actual owners can comment on...

1. Its DLNA support seems shaky according to comments. Most common refrain is that it doesnt recognise several formats like mkv (even though the specs say it does since its a codec issue of some sort). But I do see a few people saying that the right dlna server that can transcode the videos (such as mkv) on the fly can actually stream everything to the player.

One of these servers is mezzmo which is a paid one. Anyone used a free dlna server that does on-the-fly transcoding with good results especially with files larger than 4GB. the latter requirement is another common complaint that the player doesnt play over 4GB from the usb drive due to FAT32 format being the only thing it takes. Also, if people have used other paid/free servers with good results, I'm all ears as I do have a reasonably large 1080p mkv file collection that I would like to stream.

2. how is the upscaling performance for standard DVD's. I do have a large dvd collection that I would like to see thru the player. Does it really upscale everything to 1080p without any of those 3:2 pulldown/black bars etc.

3. lots of comments on netflix being spotty over wifi. How about a hardwired lan connection. any one see issues when directly plugged into ethernet. (On an unrelated note), its sucky that netflix doesnt send DD 5.1 for streamed content to BR players (only PS3 has that...)

Still on the fence on this player so I do welcome other suggestions. I dont care that much about the 3D feature but the sacd playback is one nice thing about this. My budget is under 200-250$ so that kind of rules out the Pioneers and Oppo etc. I'm not doing console gaming (PC's rock!) so a PS3 is not really on my list. Anyone have any personal experience with the LG BD570/590, samsung bd-c6900 or the panny dmp-bd85k (those are the others on my shortlist). I am wondering if the final analysis will be to get a PS3 at 299$ and be done with it but I'm trying to stay under budget.
    Fronts: Wharfedale diamond 9.6
    Sub: Wharfedale sw250
    Rears: Wharfedale diamond 9.1
    Center: Paradigm cc-350
    Pre-amp: Oppo dv981hd
    Amp for fronts: Parasound hca-1500a
    Amp for rears: Adcom gfa-5400
    Amp for center: Marantz MA500 monoblock
    Polk multimedia speakers for PC setup

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I believe England's What Hi-Fi? named it the 2010 Blu Ray Player of the year...

I have the Sony BDP-S470 blueray player and have been very pleased with it. The s570 has built in wireless but I have read that it can be flakey. I bought a wireless dongle for mine and it works great. The 470 will also play sacd.
    "They're always talking about my drinking, but never mention my thirst" Oscar Wilde

Pre-Amp: Anthem AVM 20
    Amp: Carver TFM-35
    Amp: Rotel RB-870BX
    Fronts : SDA 1B w/ RDO-194s
    T.V.:Plasma TC-P54G25
    Bluray: Oppo BDP-93
    Speaker Cables: MIT Terminater
    Interconnect Cables:DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1isonic

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I have two of them. They picture quality is on them awesome. The Netflix wifi play back was shaky in the beginning but I no longer have that issue..

highly recommended.
    Adcom GFP-750, Adcom GFR-700, Adcom GFA-5802, Jolida JD100, polk LSi15, polk LSiC, polk LSiFX, Velodyne Impact 12, APC H15, Sony KDL-60EX500, Sony BDP-S570, Pangea, MIT

Works great for me, no issues with wifi, actually works better than PS3. The specs don't say it plays MKVs... actually.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by nguyendot View Post
    Works great for me, no issues with wifi, actually works better than PS3. The specs don't say it plays MKVs... actually.
    Actually page 33 of the manual does claim mkv support under video, under the mp4 file format. while it does have a footnote about not playing protected content that shd be irrelevant if you're playing your ripped files...
    Fronts: Wharfedale diamond 9.6
    Sub: Wharfedale sw250
    Rears: Wharfedale diamond 9.1
    Center: Paradigm cc-350
    Pre-amp: Oppo dv981hd
    Amp for fronts: Parasound hca-1500a
    Amp for rears: Adcom gfa-5400
    Amp for center: Marantz MA500 monoblock
    Polk multimedia speakers for PC setup

Thread Information