Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Winter is done and now we are waiting for blackflies season. Got to love Northern Alberta

Question Breaking in time for speakers is it needed?

Hi- Question I've read the term breaking in speakers lots in various forums but I don't recall reading about it in any of the manuels that I have. Does this mean that speakers will sound better when they are broken in? Does it mean that if they are not broken in correctly they will have poorer sound quailty? Does anyone have any knowledge on this topic?

I have all polks two complete 5.1 systems and they sound great and haven't notice any mellowing or degrading in sound over time.

They'll break in with normal usage. You don't have to do anything special.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Member Sales Rating: (43)

agreed
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (1)

They should break in fine with normal use like nguyendot said. In fact the sound should open up more with time. The mids will get warmer and the highs will be less tinny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

They will sound better after you use them for 100 hours or so.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t

Member Sales Rating: (6)

The XO's will burn in as well as the rubber or foam surrounds free up making the bass more free and musical.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Breaking in time for speakers is it needed?
    Yes.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Yes, but overrated.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

OK, I'll settle this once and for all.

Yes and No. It depends on where you are at in your audio journey.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    Yes, but overrated.
    You're overrated. Brett told me so.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Why would Brett talk to you? Terrie laid claim to him so you're small potatoes.

You don't know much.

Perhaps.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by nguyendot View Post
    They'll break in with normal usage. You don't have to do anything special.
    What this guy said.

Everything breaks in to some extent. Cables, speakers, amps, tv's .... yeah, they all break in. Your car breaks in. You had to break your wife in (to good audio, what the hell were you thinking?).

If you treat your audio gear like your car you'll be fine. Don't beat on it for the first few weeks, and then enjoy it at whatever level you like.

Perhaps.
    LOL......

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Normal usage and change the air in the cabinets every 300 hours!!
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Quote Originally Posted by rogerd View Post
    Hi- Question I've read the term breaking in speakers lots in various forums but I don't recall reading about it in any of the manuels that I have. Does this mean that speakers will sound better when they are broken in? Does it mean that if they are not broken in correctly they will have poorer sound quailty? Does anyone have any knowledge on this topic?

I have all polks two complete 5.1 systems and they sound great and haven't notice any mellowing or degrading in sound over time.

Break-in with different music at different volumes.

Don't just play one Miles Davis song over and over at 10% volume because as soon as you play Dark side of the Moon at 80% volume all your drivers will crack!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Yes, but overrated.
    Precisely. Just enjoy your music and movies and don't worry about it.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post

+1. Inert gases provide the fastest break-in along with the smoothest sound.

Winter is done and now we are waiting for blackflies season. Got to love Northern Alberta

Thanks for the feedback.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    I find that helium goes a long way towards making a lighter and more airy soundstage, but for some reason the vocals tend to sound a bit like Minnie Mouse.:tongue:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

My speakers are filled with nitrous, it makes them faster.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

I'm ignoring the last two clowns,but Blue Fox at the risk of having sounding dumber then I already am, How the hell to you fill your speakers with an inert gas?

Member Sales Rating: (12)

He doesn't rogerd... he was being a clown too.

I believe there is a break-in period for anything you buy, and speakers are no different. There are some speakers that a difference is barely perceptible and others where the "night and day" addage is more appropriate. I have heard new speakers that chase me right out of the room and a month later they sound so life-like that I was stunned to know they were the same speaker. Your experience may vary based upon brand of speaker and your own ears, but the short answer is yes, there is a break-in period for speakers.

Welcome to CP
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Quote Originally Posted by thuffman03 View Post
    They will sound better after you use them for 100 hours or so.
    Drooling over ur processor btw

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    He doesn't rogerd... he was being a clown too.

I believe there is a break-in period for anything you buy, and speakers are no different. There are some speakers that a difference is barely perceptible and others where the "night and day" addage is more appropriate. I have heard new speakers that chase me right out of the room and a month later they sound so life-like that I was stunned to know they were the same speaker. Your experience may vary based upon brand of speaker and your own ears, but the short answer is yes, there is a break-in period for speakers.

Welcome to CP

Figured as much, But thatís OK they were kind of funny must be grade school kids as my children have the same since of humour.

So thanks for the info, I've only been upgrading my system since the fall. Spent a lot of cash but I love the sound HK 2600 and Polks. I had a HT in a box for a couple of years thought it was great now itís in the garage.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by rogerd View Post
    Figured as much, But thatís OK they were kind of funny must be grade school kids as my children have the same since of humour.

So thanks for the info, I've only been upgrading my system since the fall. Spent a lot of cash but I love the sound HK 2600 and Polks. I had a HT in a box for a couple of years thought it was great now itís in the garage.
    To finish up my on my last comment, I appreciate you folks taking the time to answer my novice questions. Itís tough getting good information from the sales people for the most part they only want to make the big sale.

As an example I started down this audio journey because I got a set of monitor 70ís for $300.00. Then after I got then home I realized I needed a better centre so I when back few days later and picks up a C10.

So then after a couple of weeks shopping around I had picked up a complete set of Polkís and the sales guy started telling me about the LSIC so I done some reading on it and said what the hell and purchase it. (And it is a stunning speaker) then I find out in this forum that it doesnít match the ohmís of the rest of my gear so then I posted and read stuff and finally HK suggested buying a Impedance Matching Speaker Selector Box.

On the plus side I now have two complete sets of Polkís.

So the point Iím trying to make is you folks offer some great information and if occasionally someone wants to have a bit of fun thatís Ok.

Thread Information