Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
    Spaceman Spiff
    Member Sales Rating: (22)

Default Need more Pirates? Seems Disney wants to shoot 5 & 6 back-to-back

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-c...6-back-to-back

After the surprise success of "Pirates Of The Caribbean: Curse Of The Black Pearl," Disney quickly put a plan in place to create two sequels back-to-back. Gore Verbinski directed both of the sequels, and I spent time with him during the editing of both pictures.

Towards the very end of post-production on "At World's End," we spoke at the ADR stages, and I've never seen someone who looked more tired. He was so exhausted that Disney wouldn't allow him to drive himself anywhere. And when he got those films across the finish line, it didn't surprise me at all that he just kind of dropped off the radar for a little while. It's an unreal amount of work to pull off something like that.

Without Verbinski directing the fourth film in the series, and without Dick Cook at Disney to help shepherd the film, the prospect of "Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" seemed daunting at first, but eventually, Disney hired Rob Marshall, and they've wrapped photography on the film now. My guess is that things went very, very well, better than Disney even expected.

How do I know?

Because HitFix can now exclusively report that Disney has begun quietly telling cast and crew to set aside a major block of time in the very near future so they can shoot "Pirates 5" and "Pirates 6." And, yes, once again, they will be shooting them back-to-back as one giant film, and then they'll release them as two films.

It's a bold plan. Doing it once is risky, and that risk absolutely paid off for Disney in the long run. But "Pirates 4" is already the single highest greenlight budget of all time, and it must look like the only sound way to get another trilogy out of the franchise, shooting two films together. At this point, I don't think there's any doubt that Captain Jack Sparrow will be the defining role of Johnny Depp's career.

We know he's committed to "Dark Shadows" and "The Lone Ranger" for 2011, so that raises the question of when they'll shoot these sequels. A shoot like that could take the better part of a year, but the great part about shooting in Hawaii is that you can easily shoot right through the winter. It's December 2, and I'm sitting here in my hotel room in Waikiki with the balcony door open, and it's a lovely 70-something degrees. I have a feeling Disney will want to get Depp back in his "Pirates" duds as soon as he's done playing Tonto for them, but I can't swear to the schedule.

What is certain at this point is that there's a whole lot more Jack Sparrow in our future, and that Disney considers this one of their most important properties. I'm curious to see if they reach out to buy more material like the Tim Powers book that is the source material for "On Stranger Tides," or if they're going to try to get Rossio and Elliott to build the next two chapters of the franchise from scratch.

Either way, I'm sure we'll start hearing more about these sequels during the promotional push for "Pirates 4," and I am curious to see what sort of waters Disney will steer this ship into in the future.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Why bother ? Part 3 was bad, a major disapointment. Could they have given Keith Richards any less of a part ?

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by nap View Post
    Why bother ? Part 3 was bad, a major disapointment. Could they have given Keith Richards any less of a part ?

Money!!! and I do agree with you.

Where is 4??? are they working on it??
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Pass thanks. I liked the 1st one, not so much the 2nd one, and didn't even see the 3rd.
    When you see a trend, it's best to walk away early.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Member Sales Rating: (14)

You made a good choice. 3 was an abomination, and I can't BELIEVE they're making 3 more.

Well, OK, I can believe it.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Three more sequels? Based on how fast the first three went from great to ho-hum it seems not to be a good idea. Maybe Disney has something in #4 to revive the franchise.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post

They were filming Pirates 4 here during the summer, Larry. I liked the series, personally, but 3 wasn't as good as it might have been.

Edit:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hlight=pirates
    Last edited by Keiko; 12-05-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Spaceman Spiff

Quote Originally Posted by nap View Post
    As bad as 3 was, it made a huge stack of green backs so that is why they are bothering.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post

Part 4, "On Stranger Tides" is due out 05/20/2011, next year. I believe that filming has pretty much wrapped.
    Last edited by Ron-P; 12-05-2010 at 09:10 PM.
    If...

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Search feature is your friend.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...stranger+tides

jk, Ron. :tongue:

Spaceman Spiff

hahahaha
    If...

Thread Information