Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Default Panasonic plasma in the house!!

We sold our old tv about a month ago, and finally this weekend we bought a Panasonic 50G20 plasma.

It will be delivered on the 17th - the date when we will move into our new home!! Exciting times!

We compared this tv against 54" g10 and even my wife easily pointed out the quality difference at the same settings. So we picked a quality over size for our new ht. The ht is now complete once again! :)
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    EluneVision 92" Cinema Gray fixed screen
    Onkyo TX-SR805 Pre/Pro
    Rotel RMB-1075 Amp
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 890 RF remote
    Panasonic TC-P50G20 TV + PS3 in the living room

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    We sold our old tv about a month ago, and finally this weekend we bought a Panasonic 50G20 plasma.

It will be delivered on the 17th - the date when we will move into our new home!! Exciting times!

We compared this tv against 54" g10 and even my wife easily pointed out the quality difference at the same settings. So we picked a quality over size for our new ht. The ht is now complete once again! :)
    You're gonna love it. Congrats!

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Congrats! I will be getting a new one next week myself and that is one of the two or three models I am debating myself over. I have had the Panasonic 42PX80U for nearly three years and it has been flawless, so it is likely I will go with another Panasonic.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Congrats!!!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Quote Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post
    Congrats! I will be getting a new one next week myself and that is one of the two or three models I am debating myself over. I have had the Panasonic 42PX80U for nearly three years and it has been flawless, so it is likely I will go with another Panasonic.
    Rick, which models are you looking at? We had this TV running head to head with 54" G10, 50" S-series and a new VT-series TV. G20 picture was noticeably better than G10 and S-series. VT series was slightly better than G series (you can see the difference, but not as much as between S and G), but VT was way more expensive, even with all discounts.

I read tons of reviews on Samsung plasmas, and Samsung scored slightly higher numbers in some reviews... But I've seen Samsungs and Panasonics from the inside. Panasonic definitely is built from better components. Hopefully, it will translate into better reliability.

Rick, which models are you looking at? We had this TV running head to head with 54" G10, 50" S-series and a new VT-series TV. G20 picture was noticeably better than G10 and S-series. VT series was slightly better than G series (you can see the difference, but not as much as between S and G), but VT was way more expensive, even with all discounts.

I read tons of reviews on Samsung plasmas, and Samsung scored slightly higher numbers in some reviews... But I've seen Samsungs and Panasonics from the inside. Panasonic definitely is built from better components. Hopefully, it will translate into better reliability.
    Besides the G20, I am looking at the Samsung C550 and the LG PK550. Each model seems to have potential issues (rising black levels, buzzing, horizontal banding, etc). This concerns me because my current model has never experienced any of those or any other issues in the time I have owned it.

Like I said I am leaning towards the G20 myself right now, largely due to my prior experience with Panasonic...

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Congrats on the Panasonic. Hope you have HDTV.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60

Quote Originally Posted by janmike View Post
    Congrats on the Panasonic. Hope you have HDTV.
    We'll be putting an OTA HDTV antenna on the house in the spring. This will give us about 25 HD channels and another 10-15 SDTV channels. I haven't had cable/dish for years, and don't miss it. OTA gives much better picture than compressed "HD" from cable/dish. Regarding movies, BluRays and Netflix are my current choice.

Rick, whatever you do, don't add LG to this comparison chart. It has nothing to do with Panasonic and Samsung. LG are very good mid-grade TVs, but they are not in the same class as G-series Panasonic or higher-end Samsung.

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Congrats and Nice Choice. 58" Panny Plasma in the living room, 50" in the den and looking to move the 50 to our bedroom and replace it with the model you just bought!
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default panny plasma good

honestly, i believe these guys make the best quality per dollar tvs out there.

I have watched pio kuros at the home of an audio nut i was buying some gear from, and like everyone else, looked at walls of tvs in stores.

we own a pz700 50 in. and i have yet to see anything to make me want to spend a bunch of money to change, and i dont run into a lot of review sites where owners, even long term, have many complaints.

congrats and we hope you guys enjoy a lot of together time in front of your new baby.

Member Sales Rating: (24)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post
    Besides the G20, I am looking at the Samsung C550 and the LG PK550. Each model seems to have potential issues (rising black levels, buzzing, horizontal banding, etc). This concerns me because my current model has never experienced any of those or any other issues in the time I have owned it.

Like I said I am leaning towards the G20 myself right now, largely due to my prior experience with Panasonic...
    Home Theater Mag did a follow up regarding the rising black level on the G20. Honestly the amount of change they saw (please read it for yourself as its kinda interesting) would never be a game changer for me as you would never even see it.

Also placing that TV into THX mode looks and is far better then any of the Samsungs I've seen in the same price range.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Congratulations on the new Panasonic, you definitely can't go wrong with Panny!

Member Sales Rating: (6)

We'll be putting an OTA HDTV antenna on the house in the spring. This will give us about 25 HD channels and another 10-15 SDTV channels. I haven't had cable/dish for years, and don't miss it. OTA gives much better picture than compressed "HD" from cable/dish. Regarding movies, BluRays and Netflix are my current choice.

Rick, whatever you do, don't add LG to this comparison chart. It has nothing to do with Panasonic and Samsung. LG are very good mid-grade TVs, but they are not in the same class as G-series Panasonic or higher-end Samsung.

This is just plain not true. LG puts out some if not the best displays out there now.

The LH or LHX Series are better then the G Series and I hate to say it because I love Panny Display's and own a couple myself including the G Series. But these are flat out amazing displays.

They also make a bunch of other great models. LG blew past Sony and is now right up there with Panny and Samsung.

The G-Series is probably the best bang for your Buck TV right now. Great TV.

My only issue with Samsung is the Buzzing, sure all Plasma's buzz but Samsungs buzz so loud.

I have installed a lot of TV's over the years and LG is no longer just considered a mid range TV. It's right up there with the best.

Congrats on the new TV. You can not go wrong with the G-Series.

But you really can not compare the G10 vs G20 with the same picture Settings. Once both of these sets are dialed in they are pretty close pq wise. The G20 edges the G10 out but not by much.

Both great TV's

Congrats and enjoy your new baby

Quote Originally Posted by cstmar01 View Post
    Home Theater Mag did a follow up regarding the rising black level on the G20. Honestly the amount of change they saw (please read it for yourself as its kinda interesting) would never be a game changer for me as you would never even see it.

Also placing that TV into THX mode looks and is far better then any of the Samsungs I've seen in the same price range.
    Yeah, I have that issue of HT magazine and read the follow up. It did ease my mind quite a bit regarding the rising black level issue.

It is highly likely that I will go with the G20...
    Last edited by Rick88; 12-08-2010 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grif32 View Post
    This is just plain not true. LG puts out some if not the best displays out there now.

The LH or LHX Series are better then the G Series and I hate to say it because I love Panny Display's and own a couple myself including the G Series. But these are flat out amazing displays.
    Grif, I have to disagree on this. They may be on the same level with the picture quality, sure, but what about the reliability? I repair the TVs on the side, mostly as a hobby. 80% of the TVs that I see are made by LG or are some other brand TVs with the LG electronics and panels inside (basically, rebranded "last year" models). LG TVs are what people may call "no-frills" inside. They are made to work, but that's it, there is nothing "extra" added. I can't say the same when I open Samsung or Panasonic.

Grif, I have to disagree on this. They may be on the same level with the picture quality, sure, but what about the reliability? I repair the TVs on the side, mostly as a hobby. 80% of the TVs that I see are made by LG or are some other brand TVs with the LG electronics and panels inside (basically, rebranded "last year" models). LG TVs are what people may call "no-frills" inside. They are made to work, but that's it, there is nothing "extra" added. I can't say the same when I open Samsung or Panasonic.
    I would agree with you years back but not now. They have really uped their game in the TV division. They truely put out some amzazing TV's out now

It's been reported many times that LG, Samsung, Sony, Panny etc, the better brands have a 3% or lower failure rate. So for their reliability they are just as good as Samsung and Panny.

It might be true on their lower end TV's but for the higher TV's like the one's I listed are solid TV's.

Have you repaired the TV's I listed above?
    Last edited by grif32; 12-08-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grif32 View Post
    I would agree with you years back but not now. They have really uped their game in the TV division. They truely put out some amzazing TV's out now

It's been reported many times that LG, Samsung, Sony, Panny etc, the better brands have a 3% or lower failure rate. So for their reliability they are just as good as Samsung and Panny.

It might be true on their lower end TV's but for the higher TV's like the one's I listed are solid TV's.

Have you repaired the TV's I listed above?

My old tv was LH series, which I replaced a board on. Used it for several months and was not impressed with it. Not sure about the other series.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    EluneVision 92" Cinema Gray fixed screen
    Onkyo TX-SR805 Pre/Pro
    Rotel RMB-1075 Amp
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 890 RF remote
    Panasonic TC-P50G20 TV + PS3 in the living room

My old tv was LH series, which I replaced a board on. Used it for several months and was not impressed with it. Not sure about the other series.
    That sucks.. sorry to hear. The LH once calibrated correctly is one of the top displays out there. Always getting great reviews.

The LHX is the newer model and flat out amazing TV.

Like you I do some repairs but mostly installs and never had problems with LG's. Samsung on the other hand with their buzzing, had to get many replaced. Not many problems with Panny at all.

I guess it's really the luck of the draw with these TV's.

But I still do no consider LG mid level TV's anymore. They are really top notch IMHO.. (their high end models)

Thread Information