Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plasma TV

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Default Plasma TV

I am drawn to the plazma hdtv's. Price. Seem to be good value. The only issue I recall with them was burn in and I thought that had been remedied.

Any thoughts on LCD v. plasma?

Thanks...would like to pick up something today or tomorrow.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

In general, Plasma does better in a dimmer room. If you plan on putting it in a high light area, lcd maybe a better choice. Other than that, I went from lcd to plasma and couldn't be happier. Burn in isn't really an issue anymore unless you leave a still frame on the tv for extended periods and even then most plasma's today have a way to get rid of any burn in. Buy a quality plasma, the cheapo ones aren't up to snuff of the better ones.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I have two Panasonic plasma tvs and would recommend looking into a G20/G25 newer model which allows netflix streaming or G15 older models which does allow connection to internet but doesnt stream netflix. I own a G15 and very pleased with it. Not real sure on prices right now.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I have a plasma that is 7 years old (panny) and no burn-in on that despite many many hrs gaming on it and the pq is still amazing.

Purchased the G10 Last year and Zero issues with burn-in. Gamed on it first hour I had it.

I also have it in front of a huge window and glare is not a problem. Or is either the bright room I have it in. Looks amazing.

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Thanks....looking at 58 inch samsung....has some good reviews...but I have always been a sony/panny guy when it comes to tv's.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I think the Samsung and Panasonic are both great values right now, you get a helluva lot of picture quality per dollar, if there were such a rating system.

I have the Samsung pnc58c500 and could not be happier...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I love my plasma, I have never had a second thought about buying one. I was a little nervous about the IR or burn-in, but a am a gamer and have never seen any evidence on this on my display. I heard the Pannys are very nice, but I have not done much studing on the current displays. Good luck.
    Anthem D2v
    NAD M50 Music Server
    B & K Reference 200.5
    Parasound A21
    B & W 804 (Mains)
    B & W HTM1 (Center)
    Polk Rti4 (Surrounds)
    PS3
    Seaton Submersive HP
    Pioneer PDP 6010FD Kuro

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Both are great, it just depends on what picture you like best.

Positives:

LCD- great outline detail, bright vibrant picture, less likely to get burn in.

PLASMA- great black levels, natural life like picture.

Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    Both are great, it just depends on what picture you like best.

Positives:

LCD- great outline detail, bright vibrant picture, less likely to get burn in.

PLASMA- great black levels, natural life like picture.
    Also you can add better viewing angles on Plasmas compared to LCD/LED displays. Also you get a full 1080 lines of moving resolution on a plasma where you might only get 900 on and LCD/LED Display.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I love my Panasonic plasma. Never had a problem with burn in and the color acuracy looks perfect to my eye. Knock on wood I have not had a single issue with it. If you like sports plasma is the way to go IMO. You don't have to worry about refresh rate issues on a plasma.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K

I have a panny plasma myself but you should be aware of the problem with the newer panels. Plasmas increase in brightness over their life period and the latest generation panels have been knocked for noticeably increasing in brightness nearly overnight.

Panasonic has said to have resolved this problem by making the increase in brightness slower over time.

One more thing to add, Plasmas virtually have no lag with their refresh rates being so high (600hz) vs LCD's 120hz.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilGabriel View Post

Thanks...would like to pick up something today or tomorrow.
    Did you get it???
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Quote Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post
    I have a panny plasma myself but you should be aware of the problem with the newer panels. Plasmas increase in brightness over their life period and the latest generation panels have been knocked for noticeably increasing in brightness nearly overnight.
    The rise in Black level is done over time not overnight, and it will still have better blacks then 99% of the displays out there today and people don't even notice it unless you are a novice like some of us.

Quote Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post
    One more thing to add, Plasmas virtually have no lag with their refresh rates being so high (600hz) vs LCD's 120hz.
    Plasmas do not have a refresh rate of 600 HZ and the 600 HZ is totally different then the 120Hz on LED/LCD TV's

Quote Originally Posted by grif32 View Post
    The rise in Black level is done over time not overnight, and it will still have better blacks then 99% of the displays out there today and people don't even notice it unless you are a novice like some of us.
    Sorry I did not clarify my response. Some people reported that after a certain hour mark, their panels would suddenly become brighter literally overnight. Due to these complaints Panasonic had changed this to gradually brighten over an extended period.

Of course Plasmas do have excellent blacks, but beware of buying an older panel.

Quote Originally Posted by grif32 View Post
    Plasmas do not have a refresh rate of 600 HZ and the 600 HZ is totally different then the 120Hz on LED/LCD TV's
    Sorry for the confusion, but generally lag on plasmas are irrelevant.

i have several plasma and lcds.both offer very good pictures,other than picture lcd can loose pixels although newer models not so much.lcd are lighter especially if you are getting a larger ones and lcd are generally more energy efficient if you want "be green" or reduce your cost of operation if you plan on putting significant daily hours on tv.plasmas also give off a signicant amount of heat which if there are in a cabinet and don't have good air flow can cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by lazrdds7 View Post
    i have several plasma and lcds.both offer very good pictures,other than picture lcd can loose pixels although newer models not so much.lcd are lighter especially if you are getting a larger ones and lcd are generally more energy efficient if you want "be green" or reduce your cost of operation if you plan on putting significant daily hours on tv.plasmas also give off a signicant amount of heat which if there are in a cabinet and don't have good air flow can cause problems.
    I would have to agree. California seems to be banning most plasmas which do not qualify under new standards. They are not as efficient but they can double as a heater under cold conditions!

I love my Pioneer Plasma (Pdp-6070hd). I would recommend Pioneer plasmas to anyone. Great colors, awesome blacks, and great for sports & gaming. It is true that Plasmas do better in darker rooms. It doesn't bother me because when ever I watch sports at my buddies house, his LCD has some major lag time. I get tons of compliments on my Plasma. As far as the heat issue goes, its there, but Lcd's do produce some heat as well....

pioneer did make awesome plasmas but because they have gootten out of the plasma business i would be concerned about service and parts availability down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by lazrdds7 View Post
    pioneer did make awesome plasmas but because they have gootten out of the plasma business i would be concerned about service and parts availability down the road.
    Yeah they do, but their plasmas still fetch an awesome price. If you want quality you can look at the Panny VT line. Any magnolia should carry these if you wanna check them out.

Thread Information