Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Surge Suppression - Tripp Lite AVBAR10

Looking to replace 10 year old APC surge protectors and was wondering how people felt about Tripp Lite brand and if anyone has used the AVBAR10. They are on special at newegg for $49 today in their email specials.

Thought I should add that this is listed as an Power Conditioner/Surge Protector with an MSRP of $149

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882750041
    Last edited by LesH; 12-17-2010 at 10:36 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I use a smaller version from Tripp Lite on my projector with no problem. They make a great product though I can't speak on the model you specify. Have you looked at used items on Audiogon. Perhaps you can find better for a great price there.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Ah, used. I never think to look for used. Besides your suggestion of Audiogon, I don't really know where to. Someone has suggested something accessories4less before.

I have compared the model above to their HT10DBS and found that they protect 2 & 6 transformers respectively and also EMI / RFI filtering up to 40 dB & 60 dB respectively.

Can anyone translate that difference in to cost/benefit between a $49 and $109 actual cost on NewEgg at the moment?

what are you protecting ?

is there something wrong with the APC ?

Tripp Lite is a good manufacture and $49 is a deal.

The APC is being used in the bedroom and I am about to move my Yamaha AVR & Polks that are connected to it into the living room and connect them to a new TV. So, I need another protection device anyway. With this, I can run the HTPC's ethernet, cable coax and other device power through it too.

I need a new battery for my Opti UPS which I will use for my iMac, new Mackie MR8 monitors and other computer accessories in the bed room.

I was just going to relegate the APC which does just surge protection to lighter duty elsewhere in the house.
    Last edited by LesH; 12-17-2010 at 11:00 AM.

noticed that the online price is $59.99

checked Amazon and lots of Tripp Lite surge protectors
    and comparable APC , Belkin, etc...
    Last edited by AudioGenics; 12-17-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Any surge protector like that relies on MOV's. Therefore, it doesn't matter which one you buy. If you want real, non-sacrificial protection, look at products from SurgeX.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

SurgeX is and Brickwall are the only two companies that will truly protect equipment downstream. The SurgeX has multiple patended filtration features that the others don't have and it's used in the Pro audio world in recording studios, Carnegie Hall, professional sports stadiums, it will also lower the sound floor better than any other brand, they're made in the U.S. unlike the Chinese made mov based Monster, APC, Triplite, Panamax which are all made in undisclosed Chinese factories.

Companies and distributors that setup and help build recording studios recommend SurgeX like IMS Pro A/V http://imsproav.com/ and JBL http://jblpro.com/

I was looking at a SurgeX but since I'm not protecting serious equipment yet.

The Tripp Lite is $49 with a promocode from one of the many emails they send out every day.

Thread Information