Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Panny,24p,and why?

Long story short.

I have a Panasonic Plasma 50" (6 months old,1080p). Does not have THX mode or 24p mode either. Question is....I have a Panasonic bluray player that has the 24p cinema mode. I have tried it off (which is default) and tried it with it on. I like the picture better when it is on. Since my tv does not have the 24p mode, why does my plasma still display what seems to be an even better picture when 24p is on and not supported?. When turning on the 24p mode there is a warnning that pops up saying that if your tv does not support this feature you will not see a picture. Any insight would be great.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

24P is simply converting the image to display at 24 frames per second which is what most movies are shot in. How that changes picture quality at all is a bit of a mystery. With it enabled on a compatible TV you should see motion similar as you see in a movie theater. As far as enabling it on a TV that is not compatible, if the picture seems better to you than I don't see any reason not to have it on. Why the picture quality is better I don't have a clue. I am surprised that your Panny doesn't support it though. Especially a 1080P model.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Eico ST-70 Integrated Tube Amp fully rebuilt and modded
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    DBX 3BX-DS
    DBX 224-DS
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's

My Panasonic supports 24p and will display this in the upper right of the picture when detected. My guess is your TV is just converting the incoming signal to a rate it supports.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Or perhaps, the refresh rate on your panel is divisible by 24. Short answer is, it would look noticeably worse with 24p enabled IF your panel did not support it. Some DVD's make the conversion better than others so it may not always look better.

Quote Originally Posted by B&W802d View Post
    Long story short.

I have a Panasonic Plasma 50" (6 months old,1080p). Does not have THX mode or 24p mode either. Question is....I have a Panasonic bluray player that has the 24p cinema mode. I have tried it off (which is default) and tried it with it on. I like the picture better when it is on. Since my tv does not have the 24p mode, why does my plasma still display what seems to be an even better picture when 24p is on and not supported?. When turning on the 24p mode there is a warnning that pops up saying that if your tv does not support this feature you will not see a picture. Any insight would be great.
    It's not really converting anything, if it's shot in 24P is it? It's just doing a direct 24P output, and your tv will then convert it to something it supports. A tv that directly supports 24P will multiply the frames to match the 120/240/480 hz and get the same effect.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

In short it sounds like your TV does a better job at the pulldown than the player.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection

This plasma that is in by bedroom is the model Panasonic TC-P50S1 http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...702#tabsection . This plasma has the 600 Hz Sub-field Drive. Maybe since 600 is divisible by 24 evenly that is why it is able to produce the picture. I was wondering about the technical mumbo jumbo really. When 24p is on, the "flow" of the picture does not differ in the least. I am going to leave it on for now and maybe fool with it at a later time. I just like to know how and why stuff works.

Essentially your display does a better job at taking a 24hz signal and converting it to 60hz than your player.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection

Thread Information