Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (11)

I don't get it either. I've heard several different pieces of Carver gear...and have never even been remotely impressed by them. I felt that my Adcom 545 was superior in essentially every way, aside from sheer power. Admittedly, I've never heard any of the higher end Carver pieces...but I have heard a decent variety of their "entry" level to mid level pieces.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Wow Newrival the verbal diarrhea that spills forth from your mouth is amazing and the fact that you think people will actully buy into your lies and BS is incredibile, you really need to think a lttle bit before you run your mouth.

Do you really think thay anyone in their right mind belives that you are going to borrow a TFM-55 from your friend to use on your SRS's after you said earlier that you had one for 8 months and you didnt like it? What do you think has changed since that time?

And why are you so desperate to retry things that hasnt worked in the past? it makes no sense. You say you know of many better amps, fine then use them. Why even bring up Carver gear unless your looking to stir up the crap?

The way you worded your opening statement says it all. If you truly were looking to understand why so many Polk owners like Carver gear and you actually had an experemint in mind you would have said so then.

You are simply making up s@#t as you go along.

Sorry I call BS your a liar and a troll.

SNOW
    Last edited by Kenneth Swauger; 12-22-2010 at 07:42 AM.
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by snow View Post
    Do you really think thay anyone in their right mind belives that you are going to borrow a TFM-55 from your friend to use on your SRS's after you said earlier that you had one for 8 months and you didnt like it? What do you think has changed since that time?

And why are you so desperate to retry things that hasnt worked in the past? it makes no sense. You say you know of many better amps, fine then use them. Why even bring up Carver gear unless your looking to stir up the crap?
    SNOW
    The way i took it is he is trying to hear what other people are hearing. He also did say it was possible that the carver amps were mismatched with the speakers he was using.
    Do I believe him yes. Is he closed minded about trying things, far from it. He is like many of us here that try speakers and amps out a lot just seeing what the differences are or looking for that " perfect" system. Part of the fun is trying out different things.

I honestly believe he is trying to hear the magic between the sda and the carver amplifiers. I never once took this as a carver bash or him being closed minded otherwise he would never have even tried them in the past. He has a set of SRS and wants to hear what other people hear. The carver he is picking up though is going against a darn good amp though. That should be a fun shootout and I hope he lets us know his results.

Newrival you did mention in your first statement not counting sunfire. Have you had any sunfires in your rig? If so, what one and what is your take on them against other amps you have had?

My sig II holds its own darn good. Enough that I am considering getting a 300x2. It is coming down to trying out a Sunfire 300x2 or an bryston 4b and probably selling the McIntosh. They run close in used price ( the slightly older 4b not the 1st ones but i think it would be the 2nd or 3rd)

With many of the statements on here, I agree on synergy in the system. I have heard things on my system that i like and then bring the amp or preamp ( carver c-19 gone over by rolland) over to a friends house, using sda 1.2 and a B&K amp , Halfer Iris modded cd player, and my c-19 just didnt sound right in his system. It did not have the same magic as I had on my rig.

Same speakers, different cd player and amp, and my pre just didn't sound right but, in my system using the 1.2's McIntosh 2105 or the adcom 555, jolida cd, ben's IC's ( great for the $ thanks again ben) and AQ crystal speaker cables or the AQ type 4, sounded 1000000 % different to me.

Anyway I honestly think the OP was really trying to figure out what is he missing and trying to spark a conversation at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by erniejade View Post
    The way i took it is he is trying to hear what other people are hearing. He also did say it was possible that the carver amps were mismatched with the speakers he was using.
    Do I believe him yes. Is he closed minded about trying things, far from it. He is like many of us here that try speakers and amps out a lot just seeing what the differences are or looking for that " perfect" system. Part of the fun is trying out different things.

I honestly believe he is trying to hear the magic between the sda and the carver amplifiers. I never once took this as a carver bash or him being closed minded otherwise he would never have even tried them in the past. He has a set of SRS and wants to hear what other people hear. The carver he is picking up though is going against a darn good amp though. That should be a fun shootout and I hope he lets us know his results.

Newrival you did mention in your first statement not counting sunfire. Have you had any sunfires in your rig? If so, what one and what is your take on them against other amps you have had?

My sig II holds its own darn good. Enough that I am considering getting a 300x2. It is coming down to trying out a Sunfire 300x2 or an bryston 4b and probably selling the McIntosh. They run close in used price ( the slightly older 4b not the 1st ones but i think it would be the 2nd or 3rd)

With many of the statements on here, I agree on synergy in the system. I have heard things on my system that i like and then bring the amp or preamp ( carver c-19 gone over by rolland) over to a friends house, using sda 1.2 and a B&K amp , Halfer Iris modded cd player, and my c-19 just didnt sound right in his system. It did not have the same magic as I had on my rig.

Same speakers, different cd player and amp, and my pre just didn't sound right but, in my system using the 1.2's McIntosh 2105 or the adcom 555, jolida cd, ben's IC's ( great for the $ thanks again ben) and AQ crystal speaker cables or the AQ type 4, sounded 1000000 % different to me.

Anyway I honestly think the OP was really trying to figure out what is he missing and trying to spark a conversation at the same time.
    Ernie I respect your assement of the situation but I simply dont agree with it. When asked about whether he has actually tried the Carver gear he mentioned with Polks he said yes he had tried all of the amps including the TFM-55 with every one of his various Polk speakers including if I read it correctly the SRS's

I've owned several SDA's. SDA1, CRS+, SDA2b, and SRS's. For several years, and listened to almost all combinations of amps and speakers.
    so considering this info coupled with his beginning post and the fact he didndt say in his opening statement that he was going to once again try it and wanted help with that I can come to to no other conclusion other than that it was meant to stir up the crap rather than an honest attempt at asking for help.

If at some point he brings this amp home hooks it up and says it still has weak flabby uncontrolled bass and lists the components including IC's and speaker wire I will be happy to offer any asistance that I can in resolving this so he is happy.

If in fact this is what he wanted help with in the first place he should have said so rather than what he said....

I don't get it. Why do I see so many SDA and SRS owners with Carver amps? Don't get me wrong I've owned my share: m400, m400t, 1.5t, 4.0t, tfm-35, tfm-55 (borrowed for 8 months). But seriously, I don't get what people see in these. Is it the wattage sticker? their lean, uncontrolled, and sometimes down-right flabby bass? I know Polk SDA's and SRS's arent the definition of transparent speakers, but still, they're transparent enough to let me know these are amps meant for lesser speakers.
    He wasnt asking for help with a particular amp speaker setup in this statement he simply was stating that all the Carver amps he had used on his SDA's had sucked and were worth far less than what they are currently selling for, at least thats how I read it.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Snow, I really don't see anyone with an agenda in this thread besides yourself.
    Lot's of people on this forum make slanderous or otherwise negative comments about specific products regularly. Even though, in this case, I happen to agree with the OP I fail to see where he did anything worthy your incessant posting. If you disagree, say so and why. Otherwise, you have become that which you accuse him of being.

I have never seen you acting like this before, so I am hoping that all is well with you and yours. It seems this has hit a personal cord with you and I really don't see why.

/.02

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Grown men find the dumbest s@#t to argue over.

Although I would like to compare a Carver to my Integra M504 some day.
    Last edited by Kenneth Swauger; 12-22-2010 at 01:07 PM.
    --Gary--

Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    That's why I am getting the Video re-recorded by a Professional that works with a major film company. He's coming to my house sometime in January.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110844
    Sal, I hope you understood that this is a reflection of you tube and the limitations of recording a performance of a recording of another performance, and not a reflection or "dig" towards you, your, work, or your speakers.

look forward to that video though!
    design is where science and art break even.

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Quote Originally Posted by halo71 View Post
    Grown men find the dumbest **** to argue over.

Can i put money on the Oinker Teggy?
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Quote Originally Posted by vc69 View Post

Snow, I really don't see anyone with an agenda in this thread besides yourself.
    Lot's of people on this forum make slanderous or otherwise negative comments about specific products regularly. Even though, in this case, I happen to agree with the OP I fail to see where he did anything worthy your incessant posting. If you disagree, say so and why. Otherwise, you have become that which you accuse him of being.

I have never seen you acting like this before, so I am hoping that all is well with you and yours. It seems this has hit a personal cord with you and I really don't see why.

/.02
    We obviously see two different things then. Thanks for your concern all is well with me, BTW my last post was in response to Ernie not the OP I am finished with him. This post is in regards to your inquiry not the OP also

REGARDS SNOW

Grown men find the dumbest **** to argue over.

the M504 is a great warm sounding amp.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

No need, they both suck!! :tongue:

I kid, I kid.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

H9 now are you comparing the amps to a Hoover?

LOL

Member Sales Rating: (5)

We obviously see two different things then. Thanks for your concern all is well with me, BTW my last post was in response to Ernie not the OP I am finished with him. This post is in regards to your inquiry not the OP also

REGARDS SNOW
    Good deal, glad to hear it man. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Wow Newrival the verbal diarrhea that spills forth from your mouth is amazing and the fact that you think people will actully buy into your lies and BS is incredibile, you really need to think a lttle bit before you run your mouth.

The way you worded your opening statement says it all. If you truly were looking to understand why so many Polk owners like Carver gear and you actually had an experemint in mind you would have said so then.

You are simply making up s@#t as you go along.

Sorry I call BS your a liar and a troll.

SNOW
    Snow, I don't understand where all this hostility is coming from, and seems uncharacteristic of you. I have no idea where you live, but if you are anywhere near me (NW suburbs of Chicago), then come check out for yourself what I've got running. You haven't added one beneficial thing to this thread except attack me and try to discredit me. I imagine you've taken this whole thing a little too close to heart and are upset that I've defended myself logically and reasonably. I'm not going to treat you any different hear than I would in person. I've shown you more respect than you've shown me, which I think is glaringly obvious. I didnt jump into an "I love Carver amps" thread and start bashing them. That would make me "a troll." I started a thread about my bad experience with Carvers, and started bashing me. So I ask, what does that make you? My suspicion is that nothing I do or say will prove anything to you. You've made up your mind and, despite all the concessions I've made to explain or accommodate to you and your demands, you still fight. You've been unable to use thoughtful discussion to refute what I say, and have instead chosen to resort to name calling and ill wishes.

Consider this my last attempt at civility. I've seen you give good advice other places in the forum, so I know you're capable of it. But the fact is that I'll simply have to ignore you if you can't play nice.

Quote Originally Posted by erniejade View Post
    H9 now are you comparing the amps to a Hoover?

LOL
    No, something with real sucking power...........The Dyson :tongue:

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

This thread sucks now. No idea what everyone's problem is.

But i still don't like Carver SS amps in my system. :tongue:
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

I don't think this really needs to be posted because I think everyone else gets it, but the reason I went and picked up the amp is because many things have changed since the first time I had it in the house: different room, different cables, different pre, different source different cartridge, etc. I've said over and over that I am in aggreance with the synergy issue and feel that it just didnt work out. But now, my system is completely different. Why wouldn't I want to try it again? It's not costing me any money and my friends and I swap stuff all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    This thread sucks now. No idea what everyone's problem is.

But i still don't like Carver SS amps in my system. :tongue:
    I had hoped it wouldnt get this far. It seemed like everyone was having fun with it for a time. I don't know, maybe I should start a new thread about my experiments over the holidays.

I think maybe i'll just take my own advice and ignore when someone tries to wreck a thread. I thought if I just supported the issue logically and irrefutably he'd have to stop when faced with the truth, but it appears some people just don't let the truth get in the way of their opinions. I'm more inclined to give people a few extra chances. and amps too

Quote Originally Posted by newrival View Post
    I don't think this really needs to be posted because I think everyone else gets it, but the reason I went and picked up the amp is because many things have changed since the first time I had it in the house: different room, different cables, different pre, different source different cartridge, etc. I've said over and over that I am in aggreance with the synergy issue and feel that it just didnt work out. But now, my system is completely different. Why wouldn't I want to try it again? It's not costing me any money and my friends and I swap stuff all the time.
    If it still sucks after you get it hooked up then list your components and I will assist in any way I can to help you achieve the sound your looking for, if it still sucks to your ears after everyone here offers suggestions and you simply dont like the sound thats fine we dont all like the same sound.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

REGARDS SNOW

erniejade - I love the Sunfire amps that I've heard! I've been trying to track down a sinature amp and thats what got me started on this whole subject. I was think, "man, here I am looking for a Sunfire, and I had such terrible results with Carver amp. There's got to be something to this." I've heard the Sunfire Symphonic and The original Sunfire and those were some of the best SS I've ever heard. Which isn't saying a lot I guess because I've never heard any of the ultra-premium SS amps. But I love those Sunfires! I knew you said you had one. But you're dead on, their great. I know we briefly discussed te Carver/Sunfire thing when you stopped out, and you're right they're completely different animals to me.

Quote Originally Posted by newrival View Post
    I had hoped it wouldnt get this far. It seemed like everyone was having fun with it for a time. I don't know, maybe I should start a new thread about my experiments over the holidays.
    Please don't. I don't know that the database can handle another crapstorm like this one. :tongue: (i kid, i kid)

Try all the gear you can and tell us about it. I'll live vicariously through you, since i haven't tried a single piece of new gear in about a year.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

Wow, you know what the great thing about this country is...or at least one of the great things? If you don't like something....you don't have to buy it. You don't have to listen to it.

FWIW, I've had a lot of Carver amps....some I've liked better than others but never thought that they sounded bad at all. YMMV. Don't like 'em? Cool, buy another brand.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

I'll live vicariously through you, since i haven't tried a single piece of new gear in about a year.
    Sadly I am in the same boat. Well unless you consider the $4.00 Celestion bookshelves I found at the Goodwill a few weeks back. :tongue:
    --Gary--

Member Sales Rating: (28)

......my opinion may have changed if i had different ears....
    There's something very profound in that statement.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Sadly I am in the same boat. Well unless you include the $4.00 Celestion bookshelves I found at the Goodwill a few weeks back. :tongue:
    Can't decide if it's because i'm happy with what i've got, or because i just haven't had time. I try not to upgrade on a "just cuz" basis, as i'd be broke constantly. :tongue:

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    There's something very profound in that statement.
    Every once in a while something good can be filtered out of the words i usually vomit all over the forum.

Can't decide if it's because i'm happy with what i've got, or because i just haven't had time. I try not to upgrade on a "just cuz" basis, as i'd be broke constantly. :tongue:
    I think if I could get my hands on a nice tubed pre or a pair of SDA's I would be happy(er) for a while! Not being broke?? What's that like? :tongue:
    --Gary--

I think if I could get my hands on a nice tubed pre or a pair of SDA's I would be happy(er) for a while! Not being broke?? What's that like? :tongue:
    It's been nice, but i'll leave that status shortly as i build two cars for autox duty over the winter.

@erniejade

As a side note: I realized something about our McIntosh discussion. The mac amp I had tried was apparently a very early solid state, which my friend told me were notoriously bad (relative to their usual quality baseline. god i'd hate to piss even MORE people off). Based on how you described yours, He told me the one you have likely sounds much better than the one he let me borrow.
    Last edited by newrival; 12-22-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Sunfire is better sounding than the recent Carver amps I;ve heard, but certainly not the best SS I've ever heard, IMO of course.

H9

Thread Information