Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
Results 271 to 287 of 287
  1. #271

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    3,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newrival View Post
    You mention "noise introduction is greatest from high duty (power amp) transformers and low level (pre-amp) circuits." Is the noise due to the interaction of the two or do they both just have inherent properties that make them more susceptible to noise?
    Transformers produce stray magnetic fields when current is passing through them.If the field is strong enough and low level circuitry is in close enough proximity then noise(hum) can be induced into the circuit.Because of the way in which they are constructed Toroidal type transformers are generally less offensive in this area and usually need less separation from sensitive circuitry than IE core types.
    Last edited by FTGV; 01-02-2011 at 08:19 PM.

  2. #272

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    chicagoland, IL
    Posts
    1,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    Transformers produce stray magnetic fields when current is passing through them.If the field is strong enough and low level circuitry is in close enough proximity then noise(hum) can be induced into the circuit.Because of the way in which they are constructed Toroidal type transformers are generally less offensive in this area and usually need less separation from sensitive circuitry than IE core types.
    Ahhhh! that makes sense. Thanks so much!!!
    design is where science and art break even.

  3. #273

    Member Sales Rating: (26)

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    5,018

    Default

    Uhm, reported.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

    For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104



    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.

  4. #274

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    3,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kawizx9r View Post
    Uhm, reported.
    Huh?

  5. #275

    Member Sales Rating: (26)

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    5,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    Huh?
    It was deleted.

    Spammer came in here with advertisements in his signature.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

    For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104



    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.

  6. #276

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    3,146

    Default

    Ahh Ok.So the mods are even working the wee hours of the morn.

  7. #277

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,240

    Default

    Bruce (Tour2ma) you wanted the link to my quote, here it is:

    Actually, a very interesting read about how SS designs progressed and some brief discussion about the different topologies.

    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...1/volksamp.htm

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  8. #278
    Old School
    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Higher & Dryer, Texas
    Posts
    10,177

    Default

    Thank you, sir.... I do appreciate.

    Anything I can use to budge the immovable object known as F1nut?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

    "It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

    Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

  9. #279

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tour2ma View Post
    Anything I can use to budge the immovable object known as F1nut?
    LOL.....

    Thing is Bruce, I've tried both types and actually own both types.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  10. #280

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    LOL.....

    Thing is Bruce, I've tried both types and actually own both types.
    Yes folks you heard it here F1 goes both ways.





    I crack me up sometimes!

  11. #281

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,300

    Default

    You're a riot, Alice.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  12. #282

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    You're a riot, Alice.

    To the moon Alice!

  13. #283

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Oconomowoc WI
    Posts
    644

    Default

    I'm telling Mom.

  14. #284

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Hi, I know this is an old thread but I just stumbled on it and maybe someone will see this. The OP asked about why so many people used old Carver amps with SDA speakers. Instead of why, I am wondering how? One time, years ago, I blissfully and ignorantly hooked up a Carver M400 (no 'a', no 't') to my SDA CRS speakers. When I turned it on it let out a very loud screaming howl. This was a sound that should never come from an audio system. It damaged my speakers. I found out later that the Carver is not a common ground amp and is basically incompatible with SDA speakers. So unless you intentionally don't use the umbilical cord that connects the left and right channels (then what's the point of using SDA speakers at all) how do you use this Carver/SDA combination? I know I have certainly avoided it ever since that incident.

  15. #285

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Some Carver Amps ARE common ground. I have a pair of M1.0t's bi-amping my SDA 2.3TL's right now!

  16. #286

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nonobaddog View Post
    Hi, I know this is an old thread but I just stumbled on it and maybe someone will see this. The OP asked about why so many people used old Carver amps with SDA speakers. Instead of why, I am wondering how? One time, years ago, I blissfully and ignorantly hooked up a Carver M400 (no 'a', no 't') to my SDA CRS speakers. When I turned it on it let out a very loud screaming howl. This was a sound that should never come from an audio system. It damaged my speakers. I found out later that the Carver is not a common ground amp and is basically incompatible with SDA speakers. So unless you intentionally don't use the umbilical cord that connects the left and right channels (then what's the point of using SDA speakers at all) how do you use this Carver/SDA combination? I know I have certainly avoided it ever since that incident.
    If your SDA's use the pin/blade cable, then you can use the AI-1 that allows any non-common ground amp to be used.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  17. #287

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,426

    Default

    I bought two carver TFM-35X's for $740 shipped. For me it was a good value.

    They were my first amps with real power and I thought I made a good choice.

    5 years later when I had more money to spend I sold them for the same amount. They treated me very well for 5 years.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Need Help Carver amps vs. Parasound amps?
    By dekuda in forum Electronics
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 06:48 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-19-2006, 06:53 PM
  3. Carver Amps -
    By VR3 in forum Electronics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 08:23 PM
  4. Carver amps???
    By amulford in forum Electronics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 08:42 PM
  5. carver amps
    By goingganzo in forum Electronics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2002, 10:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts