Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (8)

He was probably reporting a spam post which was after yours and has now been deleted.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Member Sales Rating: (0)

That is correct, it had nothing to do with your posting.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

That's good to know.

Sorry Obieone.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies . I am glad to be a part of a select group that tries to take our auditory and visual senses to a higher level: we EXPERIENCE them.... GOT SDA?...GOT SUNFIRE? ...GOT Maggies?

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by Tour2ma View Post
    My attempt at David Brooks' Bobos book lasted all of about ten minutes... sometimes you just know when a book is not for you.
    Really? I have that on deck. Was it the writing style, too fluffy? I will still read it, as it is sitting right here, but I am curious.

I'm reading the classic, The Prophet, by Khalil Gibran as well as The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough. Great prose, and shorter than 1776 :).
    design is where science and art break even.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Now that classes are almost over there is finally time to read something other than Dissent in China, the end of the Hu Jintao era, Status of Rebellions in Xinjiang, future of Hukou registration, Migrant Workers of China and Modernization, and following the case of Chen Guangcheng, etc.

So I'm breaking out the Dick!

Philip K. Dick, that is!

cnh
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by cnh; 05-03-2012 at 06:36 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Recently I totally go in for Gabriel Garcia Marquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude.
    Give me some music!

After watching the recent "John Carter: A Princess of Mars" and enjoying it...THIS THREAD...I thought I would see if I could find my old copies of the Barsoom novels and re-read them. I couldn't find them, so they must have been misplaced (along with all of my Agatha Christy novels) some time ago. I was browsing in a real life B&M book store (Barnes and Noble) and found these on sale and decided to pick them up. Light reading for sure...but enjoyable nonetheless.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

A song of ice and fire: book one. About 250 pages into it and I can't put this book down. Damn, it feels great to be reading again, it's been too long...

Quote Originally Posted by codyc1ark View Post
    A song of ice and fire: book one. About 250 pages into it and I can't put this book down. Damn, it feels great to be reading again, it's been too long...
    I went strait to book 3 just to see what happen next season on Game of Thrones.

Lots of light reading lately...

Last edited by shack; 06-28-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (55)

"Neptune's Inferno"/The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    "Neptune's Inferno"/The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal
    The Marines did all the work. The Navy just supplied the transportation. Hope I didn't spoil it for you.

Semper FI!
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Member Sales Rating: (55)

Still Bozo listed. I AM amazed at how well you can hear and speak with your head up Bob Carver's zorch.

Fool.

A Song of Fire and Ice, about halfway through book 2. I can't decide if I should read beyond the HBO series or not.

Shack, I love Joe Haldeman's stuff, the one you listed and especially The Forever War.

Just finished C. J. Box's Back of Beyond and have just started today Jack Higgins' A Devil is Waiting
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

I just finished Stephen Coonts' 'The Disciples', about how a nuclear Iran tries to turn into a martyr nation. Good book.
    One annoying aspect of the layout: He switches between 3rd and 1st person narrative.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivrrat View Post
    I'll be starting "Moscow Rules" by Daniel Silva tonight.
    love the Gabriel Allon series.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by dinfog908 View Post
    Im reading Dale Carnegie. His words are always helpful, nomatter in my life, work or my communication with people. He's the best master.
    I can alway learn more by rereading him.

club polk forum?
    Hello Kitty am/fm CD player

Just starting In the Days of the Comet by H.G. Wells. So far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

I just got done reading Savages by Don Winslow. Kind of a hard book to get started in because of the stylized writing but about 1/3 of the way in it gets really good and keeps going through the end.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Milan Kundera's interesting reflection on writing and the novel, compiled in the late '80s, just before the fall of the Soviet Union. The Czech author best known for The Unbearable Lightness of Being was already living in exile in France by '75. His novels banned behind the curtain!

One of the interesting points; an ironic commentary on European intellectuals who declared the death of the novel in his time, a time long after the novel was already killed by Totalitarianism behind the iron curtain! So much for Postmodernists and their hubris. But, hey, they're all passe, themselves, now.

cnh
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by cnh; 07-17-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (20)

A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson

I really dig this author and book. I only discovered his work a few months ago but am on my third book of his. This one may be my favorite. His work and this one especially is a great blend of informative, adventure and comedic relief. This book is about his attempt at hiking the AT and is about 50% informative and 50% equal parts of comedy, drama and adventure. There are a couple stories in particular where he's describing his fat out of shape hiking partner throwing critical survival items and food out of his pack to cut down on weight where I was laughing out loud, he does a very good job of explaining things vividly in this book. I would say the first half is better than the second half as there is a lull for a few pages, but overall an excellent read. This is one I'll definitely read again
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Start With Why - Simon Sinek

My bos at work suggested this one a while back and I've actually read it one and a half times, once all the way through and a second time in pieces. This one is actually sorta fitting given some of the other active discussion around things like brand loyalty. It's basically a book about why he thinks some companies are more successful than others. Here's an excerpt from the Amazon page "Why are some people and organizations more innovative, more influential, and more profitable than others? Why do some command greater loyalty? In studying the leaders who've had the greatest influence in the world, Simon Sinek discovered that they all think, act, and communicate in the exact same way-and it's the complete opposite of what everyone else does. People like Martin Luther King Jr., Steve Jobs, and the Wright Brothers might have little in common, but they all started with why." It's a good book, can get a little repetitive at times but is overall very good and is an interesting theory. There's also a TEDTalks video he did that basically summarize the book that is pretty good as well.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson

I really dig this author and book. I only discovered his work a few months ago but am on my third book of his. This one may be my favorite. His work and this one especially is a great blend of informative, adventure and comedic relief. This book is about his attempt at hiking the AT and is about 50% informative and 50% equal parts of comedy, drama and adventure. There are a couple stories in particular where he's describing his fat out of shape hiking partner throwing critical survival items and food out of his pack to cut down on weight where I was laughing out loud, he does a very good job of explaining things vividly in this book. I would say the first half is better than the second half as there is a lull for a few pages, but overall an excellent read. This is one I'll definitely read again
    I like reading old Bill also and do indeed laugh out loud.

Robert Crais - Taken

Last edited by shack; 08-09-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Name:  mk.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  14.7 KB

Daniel Silva....The Fallen Angel......Gabriel Allon.....what more can I say....Have to wait a year for the next one(sigh)

This Sci-fi novel won several awards when published in the late 60s. It is considered a classic by many fans of the genre. I'm about a 3rd of the way through the nearly 600 pages and I'm still not sure if I agree or not.

Thread Information