Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Shizelbs View Post
    Lone Survivor - Marcus Luttrell
    Just finished it. A soldier's personal recount of survival and the horrors of war. Anyone with any doubt about the brutality of the Taliban should read this.
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Couple of suggestions: (1) The Hobbit is coming out in the theaters in several months and reading the book prior to seeing the movie will acquaint you with the characters as well as Tolkiens' genius. It is a very good book and a fairly quick read. (2) The Lord Of The Rings is pure genius. I read it in high school and thought it was one of the best books I'd ever read. Years later, before the movies came out, I read it again. Took six months. Couldn't believe how well it was written. (3) For more serious reading, try the 3-volume "The Secret Diaries of Harold Ickes," the Secretary of Interior under FDR. Ickes wrote notes every day about the inner workings of the government, totaling about four million words. Book was only published upon his death in the fifties. These books cover several years each. I'm reading volume three now, getting closer to our involvement in WWII. Frank discussions of how Ickes really sees things as they unfold in the inner circle. Can't wait to get closer to Pearl Harbor.

Forgot to mention that Keith Richards' autobiography is witty and its hard to believe all the stuff he remembers. You gotta put up with his ego, however. Bob Dylan's autobiography, "Chronicles" is one of the best I've read. Very witty. Rumored to be coming out with volume 2 one of these days.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I am reading "Wild Ducks Flying Backwards". It's a collection of short stories by Tom Robbins. Tom Robbins is my favorite author by a long shot, he's defienitely out there but that's precisely what I love about his writing! This one is pretty good, though I'm not enjoying it quite as much as his full fledged novels. It's still a good read though.

Not reading but listening to "The Innocent by David Baldacci"

Saw Tom Robbins give a reading at the University of Wisconsin around 1981(?) He was a cool looking dude, had a ring on every finger. Took classes in college where we studied Another Roadside Attraction and Even Cowgirls Get The Blues. Has a definite way with a phrase.

Another really good book I read recently was Patti Smith's "Just Kids."

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Old editions of Great Sound. The collector that I purchased my Oracle TT's from gave me dozens of these.

Quote Originally Posted by dromunds View Post
    Saw Tom Robbins give a reading at the University of Wisconsin around 1981(?) He was a cool looking dude, had a ring on every finger. Took classes in college where we studied Another Roadside Attraction and Even Cowgirls Get The Blues. Has a definite way with a phrase.
    That is really cool. He is one of those folks that I would definitely like to share a cold beverage and if I was in my younger days, burn one with. That would be interesting!

Waiting for the new Dresden Files due in November.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    AVR: Denon AVR-3805, AMP: Parasound Model 2250, Front: Polk RTIA7, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub: Polk DSW PRO660WI

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  5.9 KB
    On a May afternoon in 1943, an Army Air Forces bomber crashed into the Pacific Ocean and disappeared, leaving only a spray of debris and a slick of oil, gasoline, and blood. Then, on the ocean surface, a face appeared. It was that of a young lieutenant, the plane’s bombardier, who was struggling to a life raft and pulling himself aboard. So began one of the most extraordinary odysseys of the Second World War.

The lieutenant’s name was Louis Zamperini. In boyhood, he’d been a cunning and incorrigible delinquent, breaking into houses, brawling, and fleeing his home to ride the rails. As a teenager, he had channeled his defiance into running, discovering a prodigious talent that had carried him to the Berlin Olympics and within sight of the four-minute mile. But when war had come, the athlete had become an airman, embarking on a journey that led to his doomed flight, a tiny raft, and a drift into the unknown.

Ahead of Zamperini lay thousands of miles of open ocean, leaping sharks, a foundering raft, thirst and starvation, enemy aircraft, and, beyond, a trial even greater. Driven to the limits of endurance, Zamperini would answer desperation with ingenuity; suffering with hope, resolve, and humor; brutality with rebellion. His fate, whether triumph or tragedy, would be suspended on the fraying wire of his will.

In her long-awaited new book, Laura Hillenbrand writes with the same rich and vivid narrative voice she displayed in Seabiscuit. Telling an unforgettable story of a man’s journey into extremity, Unbroken is a testament to the resilience of the human mind, body, and spirit.

-Saftgeek

^^That looks like it would be a really good one^^. I'm going to check that one out.

Dawgfish, I will look around and try to find a close-up photo of Tom that my cousin took at Robbins' reading at UW back in '81 or whenever it was (we were real close). I am going to have to do some digging but I remember seeing it not that awfully long ago. If I can find it I'll post it for you. He was my favorite writer and it was an absolute thrill to see him reading his stuff live. I still like his stuff, of course. His way with a phrase is unique in American literature. I still remember tabbing page 100 of Even Cowgirls Get the Blues. Now, I'll have to go back and see specifically why, but his books are miles ahead of the times.

Forgot to mention that Keith Richards' autobiography is witty and its hard to believe all the stuff he remembers. You gotta put up with his ego, however. Bob Dylan's autobiography, "Chronicles" is one of the best I've read. Very witty. Rumored to be coming out with volume 2 one of these days.
    Both of those are good books. I would also recomend:
    The Real Frank Zappa Book; Frank Zappa.
    I'll Sleep When I'm Dead; Chrystal Zevon.
    You Never Give Me Your Money; Peter Doggett.
    The first two are pretty self explanatory. Money is an interesting book explaining post Beatles. Albums, finances, bickering, lawsuit with Apple and getting together for Anthology. Good read for any Beatle fan. Looking forward to Neil Young's Waging Heavy Peace.

Dawgfish, I will look around and try to find a close-up photo of Tom that my cousin took at Robbins' reading at UW back in '81 or whenever it was (we were real close). I am going to have to do some digging but I remember seeing it not that awfully long ago. If I can find it I'll post it for you. He was my favorite writer and it was an absolute thrill to see him reading his stuff live. I still like his stuff, of course. His way with a phrase is unique in American literature. I still remember tabbing page 100 of Even Cowgirls Get the Blues. Now, I'll have to go back and see specifically why, but his books are miles ahead of the times.
    Thank you very much! I will definitely be looking forward to that and I couldn't agree with you more!

The last book I read was the novel of russian author Mikhail Bulgakov "Master and Margaret" and now I have Coelho's "Zahir" in the process.

James Lee Burke--Feast Day of Fools
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

If anyone wants to see a remarkable list of books, check out Art Garfunkle's website ( just google him), where he lists every book he's read for the last several decades. That's right, every book and he read voraciously. Great list.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Quote Originally Posted by shack
    This Sci-fi novel won several awards when published in the late 60s. It is considered a classic by many fans of the genre. I'm about a 3rd of the way through the nearly 600 pages and I'm still not sure if I agree or not.

I finally got through this one...while parts were ok...it was one of the most disappointing Sci-Fi novels I've read in quite a while. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Next up:

"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Actually, rereading the Hobbit for the first time in a couple of decades. Interested in the children's story cadence of the writing because of something I am writing myself.

I don't remember that book, Shack. But I do remember reading a few things by Brunner back in the day. Way back!

cnh
    Attached Images  
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Gabriel Garcia Marquez "100 years of lonelyness"

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Just finsished: "The Stars My Destination" which has been described as a Sci-Fi Graphic Novel and is considered to be one of the best Sci-Fi novels of all time. It was a very good read.

Just started: "Walking the Gobi: 1,600-Mile Trek Across a Desert of Hope and Despair"

"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

right now i am reading ODDESA FILE written by writer named Frederick forsyth...

Just finishing "The Lives of John Lennon" by Albert Goldman I think. I had no idea. When Double Fantasy came out, I knew he was coming out of something, and it was a tragedy how he was taken. A musical genius. Pretty good read. Not at all sympathetic toward Yoko.

The Time Keeper - Mitch Albom

the broker by john grisham........

Re-read "The Moon Coin" before reading "The Dragondain", the first two books in
    my brother's Moon Realm series. Pretty damn good for the juvenile fantasy genre.
    If that's not your cup of tea, maybe it would be for your kids if they like books that
    demand some attention on the part of the reader.
    cristo

NAD C 545BEE cd player, Philips AF877 turntable / Shure V15V-MR with JICO SAS stylus,
    Tascam 122 mkIII cassette deck, Harman Kardon 3480 receiver, Terk FM-50 antenna in the attic,
    Soundcraftsmen SE550 stereo equalizer, Polk Monitor 10a speakers
    (with Sonicraft/Solen/Mills crossover rebuild)

Name:  neilbook1.gif
Views: 57
Size:  19.4 KB
    Neil Young The Definitive History

Just finished book 4 of The Song of Fire and Ice/Game of Thrones and started on The Hobbit for the first time in about 20 years. First time I read it, and The Lord of the Rings trilogy back in the 70's, I couldn't put them down. Great storytelling, even if a bit long-winded in places.

Dawgfish - Unbroken was a great book. Thaniks for the suggestion.
    Modest HT - Pioneer VSX 821K, RT800i, CS400 center, RT25i surrounds, Velodyne CHT-10 sub, Belkin PF30.
    Bedroom - Yamaha RX-V373, Monitor 7C, CS175i center

Member Sales Rating: (3)

[QUOTE=Jimbo18;1863540]Just finished book 4 of The Song of Fire and Ice/Game of Thrones and started on The Hobbit for the first time in about 20 years.

I listened to Game of Thrones on CD while driving to work, 28 cds. Just starting Clash of Kings, 31 cds.

Great story telling.

Thread Information