Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (10)

When Money Dies - Adam Fergusson

The nightmare of deficit spending, devaluation, and hyperinflation in Weimar Germany

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Black List - Brad Thor

Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. Pretty epic. I am currently in the middle of Wizard and Glass.
    Pioneer SC-25 | Adcom GFA-555 | KEF q900 Front | KEF q600 Center | Polk Monitor 30 Rear | Polk CS2 Rear Surround | Polk DSWPRO 660wi sub

Quote Originally Posted by Shizelbs View Post

The nightmare of deficit spending, devaluation, and hyperinflation in Weimar Germany
    Just ordered that book on amazon.

What are your thoughts?
    PS: I'm still kinda new in the hobby, but my wallet has been around the block a couple of times.

I've been into the freebies from amazon lately for my kindle. Currently in the middle of Mary Shelly's Frankenstein.

Just finished World War Z by Max Brooks. Amazing book and despite it's zombie theme, or because of it, it's full of humanity. Much better than I expected.

Next up, back to an old favorite, Shogun by James Clavell.
    Modest HT - Pioneer VSX 821K, RT800i, CS400i center, RT25i surrounds, Velodyne CHT-10 sub, Belkin PF30.
    Bedroom - Yamaha RX-V373, Monitor 7C, CS400 center

Finished No Easy Day (audiobook) a couple weeks ago. Loved it.

Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson... hadn't read a fantasy-book in years, but a friend and I have basically the same b-day and have a long-standing tradition of giving one another the best book we read in the previous year... this year, I got Mistborn and was really surprised how much better it is than most fantasy I've ever read -- far more grounded, human and well constructed than most.
    5.1 theater - Pioneer SC-07, Mirage OMD-CC center, 4 x Mirage Omnisats, Boston Acoustics VPS-210 sub
    2.1 living room - NAD 7400 integrated, 2 x Platinum Audio Duos, MIT Terminator4 cables
    2.1 bedroom- Arcam Solo, 2 x Mirage OMD-5's
    FOR SALE - Genesis Servo-10 sub, Genesis Servo-12 amp; Martin Logan Dynamo sub; Mirage MM-6 sub; Harman Kardon DPR-1001 7.1 receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo18 View Post
    Just finished World War Z by Max Brooks. Amazing book and despite it's zombie theme, or because of it, it's full of humanity. Much better than I expected.
    Agreed. It's the first (and only) Zombie book I've read, and the humanity in the book comes across as plausible, and the scenario at least makes an attempt to be vaguely scientific, which I appreciate. Recommended even to -- especially to -- people who aren't fans of the genre.
    5.1 theater - Pioneer SC-07, Mirage OMD-CC center, 4 x Mirage Omnisats, Boston Acoustics VPS-210 sub
    2.1 living room - NAD 7400 integrated, 2 x Platinum Audio Duos, MIT Terminator4 cables
    2.1 bedroom- Arcam Solo, 2 x Mirage OMD-5's
    FOR SALE - Genesis Servo-10 sub, Genesis Servo-12 amp; Martin Logan Dynamo sub; Mirage MM-6 sub; Harman Kardon DPR-1001 7.1 receiver

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Here boys, read something that will bend your mind a little, and make you laugh, perhaps?

cnh
    Attached Images  
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Where the Right Went Wrong by Patrick J. Buchanan

Pretty fascinating book about how the conservative right has been taken over by the radical right.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout

Without Conscience: The Disturbing World Of The Psychopaths Among Us by Robert Hare

We all know some one that is like this, but most people would not recognize the warning signs. A must read for all.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Labeling people as sociopaths and/or psychopaths is ONE way of marginalizing them and making them seem so much UNLIKE us that we don't have to THINK about what produces such beings? What kind of society might be responsible for such "gems". Since we do NOT find such beings in ALL societies.

It is a way of psychologizing problems that may be more "structural" and "systemic" rather than "individual" alone. It makes "us" feel comfortable that "we" are NOT like that?

But even the really great Psychologists warned us not to do this because "neurosis" is common to ALL and it does not take much to cross the line to a full blown psychosis given how much support we give certain people in our "perfect" society. lol

cnh
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Very true CNH, agree completely. There exists a fine line however. There are those who throw around labels, such as, racist, fat, poor, gay, religous, and alot more.....doesn't necessarily mean they aren't true. It's that these days it seems the width of what encompasses these labels, and those who toss them around, has taken on a whole new territory. It appears your thoughts on it have become the mainstream more so than not. We've turned ourselves into one big label maker.

As far as books go....Life of PI. Now I can go see the flick.
    Last edited by tonyb; 01-19-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Since we do NOT find such beings in ALL societies.
    We find these people in all societies. They are completely unlike us. Until you have been crushed by one of these people or won't even take the time to at least to read about who they are maybe you should keep ignorant statements like this to your self.

Quote Originally Posted by jim 249 View Post
    We find these people in all societies. They are completely unlike us. Until you have been crushed by one of these people or won't even take the time to at least to read about who they are maybe you should keep ignorant statements like this to your self.
    Not really intended to light a fire. And as for "ignorant", I have degrees in Psych., Sociology and Anthropology. Terminal degrees in the last. I think "I" ought to know what I am talking about, I'm afraid. As an Anthropologist, I can assure you that I know of societies where such beings either do not exist or are reformed by the culture that they live in in such a way that they are not the problem they present in large impersonal STATE societies such as our own!

And, of course, how could I be offended by someone calling me names? Jeees! Why are some of you guys so "defensive"? Chill out. Even those of us with Ph.D.s rip each other's asses out at conferences and still manage to have a beer together after those sessions?

Please be aware that even within the field of Psychology there is a HUGE nature vs. nurture debate. I am merely drawing your attention to the fact that there is not a 100 percent agreement about what you are reading by experts in the field! The scientific discourse and debate is ongoing. I'm sure you've read Freud, Jung, Adler, Rank, Sullivan, Reich, Fromm, Skinner, Perls, Rogers, May, and many many others (Personality Theory, etc.)

Reading is a great thing, part of my daily work, you see. And all those thousands of tomes in my office. Ah, so much to read, one lifetime is really not ENOUGH!

Academically yours,

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 01-19-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Quote Originally Posted by jim 249
    Whoops...contrary to your assumption...it appears that cnh is a "man of letters" as pertains to the subject.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Whoops...contrary to your assumption
    After reading Robert D Hares book, I will leave this statement as is.

CNH; As I am sure you know Mr Hare has written the "bible on psychopathy". If you have read the book, could you please comment on it? The many examples all seem to share the same basic warning signs, which I have experienced in life from a few people. He also warns not to judge people as psychopaths with out a professional opinion, but I am smart enough to certainly not to take chance when I see the warning signs.

Member Sales Rating: (55)

I'll take common sense over book smarts and letters all day long.

I'm reading "Unbroken".

Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    I'll take common sense over book smarts and letters all day long.
    It's best if you have both.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Member Sales Rating: (3)

[QUOTE=George Grand;1867874]I'll take common sense over book smarts and letters all day long.QUOTE]

Never hurts to increase your options.

Member Sales Rating: (55)

Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    It's best if you have both.
    Not too many bests dropping in lately though. Just the one or the others.

Happy New Year Shack Daddy.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Neil Young "Waging Heavy Peace"
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Quote Originally Posted by Shizelbs View Post

Coming soon to a country near you.
    My humble setup...

...is no more.

Quote Originally Posted by George Grand
    Happy New Year Shack Daddy.
    And a Happy New Year to you George!

the other sides of midnight by Sidney Sheldon

Quote Originally Posted by bansheesho View Post
    Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. Pretty epic. I am currently in the middle of Wizard and Glass.
    Oh, I've been there! Message me the first words out of your mouth when you finish the series. I want to know if your reaction was like mine.

Dean Koontz, Odd Thomas.

I became aware of this writer because she is married to one of the most noted landscape and nature photographers in the world, David Meunch. She penned an essay in one of my favorite books by him. I enjoyed her writing and looked for a book by her. She is an accomplished nature and outdoor writer and so far I have enjoyed her book.

A Tale of Two Cities written by Charls Dikens.

Thread Information