Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Default Performing a software upgrade on a HK AVR 247

Watching a movie a couple of days ago, my HK AVR 247 went into protect modes during loud scenes. It would come on again, but again cut out during a loud scene.

So I started researching what might be going on, and realized that HK has published a firmware update here: http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Pr...px?PID=AVR+247 in the product updates section.

I verified and found that I do not have the latest firmware.

Later in the day, I realized that the protect mode was caused by a short on one of the surround speakers. I guess if something loud came on that channel, it would go into protect.

Anyway, I'd still like to perform the software update.

Apparently, I need a USB to RS232 cable. Does anybody have a recommendation on which cable will work? There are plenty of cheap cables on eBay - as low as $5... like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-RS232-FEMALE...item5189951398

Has anybody done this upgrade? Any advice?

So I bought this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=310230240573

Will report back on how it goes.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Definately let us know how that works. I know on my AVR635, it specifically states that you cannot use a USB to rs-232 cable. Has that changed with models, or are you just giving it a shot?
    50" Panasonic Vierra TC-P50VT20 (w/5 pairs glasses)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Wished I had saw this earlier. I have an unopened cable from when I had my HK254. Never used it and I could have sent it to you.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by rdb2001 View Post
    Wished I had saw this earlier. I have an unopened cable from when I had my HK254. Never used it and I could have sent it to you.
    Sending PM now.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Glowrdr View Post
    Definately let us know how that works. I know on my AVR635, it specifically states that you cannot use a USB to rs-232 cable. Has that changed with models, or are you just giving it a shot?

This is what the H/K website says: "If the computer you plan to use for the upgrade is not equipped with a serial port, we have found that many name-brand USB-to-serial-port adapters will provide the needed connection. We cannot guarantee that all such adapters will work. "

From my research, I have no idea what they mean by a "name brand" cable. It seems like all the cables out there are little known brands. So I thought I would give this one a shot because it has the right female connector in one cable, rather than an adapter and a cable. None of my computers have serial ports, so I need to convert from USB or buy a serial card.

Finally performed this upgrade today. The original cable I purchased was a dud. The one I used today that worked flawlessly was: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-RS232-...-/350200599448

The upgrade process itself was really straightforward.

Can't say I see any immediate differences, but its good to know I have the latest software on it. Apparently it resolves some HDMI handshake issues.

Thread Information