Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Default Fozgometer and Ultimate Analogue Test LP

Received the Fozgometer for Christmas from my wife but she did not know which test LP to order which was fine by me so I ordered the Ultimate Analog Test LP since that seemed the be the one recommended with the Fozgometer.

First off I have the Marantz TS15 TT which is made by ClearAudio. I have the Wright WPP100C phono preamp.

I have always thought the sound stage was more centered to the left and my phonopre has separate gain controls for each channel. I have tried increasing the gain on the right channel but then would think I over did it and it was driving me nuts.

Yesterday the test LP arrived so I set out to try the fozgometer.

First thing was to calibrate per instructions but downloading 3 test tracks and play through CDP with Fozgometer connected to the analog output of my DAC. Only minor anal tweaking was required.

Connected TT output cables directly to meter. Played track 2 to check left channel and compared to track 3 for right channel azimuth adjustment. They both were spot on.

Next played track one for channel balance, perfect.

So TT is setup correct with respects to Azimuth.

Repeat test coming out of Phono preamp.

L&R reading fine.

Mono lateral channel balance showed the left channel had more gain so adjusted right channel gain on phono preamp.

Connected everything back up and played a few albums.

Sound stage is now centered like it should and have a much fuller sound stage.

All and all easy to use and was worth the cost to know my Azimuth and channel balance is right.

I still have stuff using the test LP i want to check but I will get to that later today.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

This has to be in my head but I played the tracks 8 times with pink noise that demagintizes the cart and I listened to 10 albums last night to be sure but I swear I have more air and extended highs.
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Well,, now that you are finished with the fozgo,and all is well with your vinyl rig,,send that puppy on a tour. In all seriousness,,thanks for the review,,and FWIW,,I did not knoww that the Wright had seperate gain controls--innaresting,,very innaresting.Thanks Tracy.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Thanks George. Have you ever ran the pink noise to demagnetize the cart and noticed a difference ?

Member Sales Rating: (47)

I did the Cardas thing/record--I dunno if it helped,,but it did not hurt anything,,scroll down a rad.

http://www.garage-a-records.com/hifinews.html
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by thsmith View Post
    Thanks George. Have you ever ran the pink noise to demagnetize the cart and noticed a difference ?
    I did and it works well.

That test LP is worth its weight in gold. Now for the meter!

Thread Information