Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Default What I learned from my son

Ok, so my son is a sophomore in college and, yeah, typical dad sounding like I'm bragging, but he's a freaking genius. He's working on two degrees - math and physics - and this stuff is fun for him. I'm a little jealous. On top of just being smart, he actually works hard at it. Yeah, I hear it all the time, "That's your son?"

Anyhow, he loves music and I've been introducing him to audio basically as I'm learning about it too. I'll admit that I was somewhat skeptical at first about cables and wire and their affect on what I hear, but, being open-minded, I tried some things out and found out for myself. Hawkeye sent me some Audioquest ICs, and let me just say that I'm not going back to the cheap stuff. (Thanks Gordon!) I can only move forward from here, and one day hope to put together something really nice. Oh yeah, I also learned that all amps aren't the same either, although I never really thought they were. But, I've tried several now, and each has had its own distinguishable qualities.

So, back to my son. He's always been a skeptic about things, too, in that he never just accepts answers - he's always looking for that scientific or mathematical proof. Around the time that I was beginning to think of trying "better" cables, I repeated to him some of the things I had read on here. I remember saying something like, "these guys think that using different cables made to different specifications with different materials will result in an audible difference in sound quality." I was expecting to have a long discussion with him about this whether or not different wires change the sound. I still remember his response, "Of course they do [make a difference]. Why wouldn't they?"

Now, I no longer need any scientific reasoning to reinforce my belief - and not just because I've heard the differences with my own ears. It was so obvious to the kid who has always needed to see the proof first, without ever even having to see any.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Would you still have tried different cables if your sons response was different ?
    Doesn't matter what we say, he says, they say, it's experience,trying different things to see for yourself. Glad you did, and glad your experience was positive,now the bad part. It's hard to go backwards in audio once you hear something you like. This has a direct effect on your wallet.

I was too curious not to try it, but I'll have to admit that my reservations were based on the almighty $$. I was afraid that I'd have to spend a fortune to notice an improvement. Kind of true, in that $100 spent on ICs is significantly more than the free ones you get with equipment, or the $10 set from Radio Shack. For future reference, I'll just consider it a necessary cost to get where I want to be.

Actually, my hope is to one day spend thousands on them!

Quote Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post
    Actually, my hope is to one day spend thousands on them!
    Nice to be able to stand proud of a son or daughter. Sounds like you have done a great job there Dad.

As for thousands, I remember years ago hearing that someone spent $100 on a cable and all I could do was shake my head. Today, I have MIT Shotgun S1 and Virtual Dynamics cables in my 2 CH rig. How things change.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Well, when you all get the upgrade bug again, PM me for my address and you can "retire" your IC's to me.

I'm just using aluminum foil with banana plugs duct taped to the ends.

Congrats - just don't let the bug bite you too hard. Things can get pretty ugly around here. lol
    50" Panasonic Vierra TC-P50VT20 (w/5 pairs glasses)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"

Thread Information