Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Streaming music

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Default Streaming music

Need help with options for streaming music. Is there a site like Netflix where you can pay a monthly fee to get music of your choice?

New to streaming so I need a little help on sites and prices.

Thanks

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I've seen ads for unlimited Rhapsody on G4 lately. You don't own it but can download as much as you want. As far as free streamers, I've been using Slacker for a long time. That's all I know off hand.

I want something I can put into my HT room. I thought they might sell a device I can plug up to my receiver or pre and pay a monthly fee and get unlimited music without having to deal with a computer.

Uh....Xm/Sirius? Sirius has a higher resolution format available for $3 more a month.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

This.

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    Uh....Xm/Sirius?
    What about Pandora? I think there are a couple of fans on here, though I never used it myself so can't say.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.

I've heard of Pandora but have never used it.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Pandoras good and pandora1 is the pay service with high res but you cant choose freely what songs you wana hear

Does apple make anything like that?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

you should check last.fm too....

it's a little different than pandora. You can monitor your music listening from winamp or from itunes.... (or wiindows media player for that matter). Then it can make recommendations for you to listen to. It also identifies the 50 closest neighbors that you have based on musical "scrobbling". You can listen to anyone else's station you choose and "scrobble" their station - which adds the songs that it plays from their station to your's.

all very complicated but quite easy and simple too.

can't vouch for the quality though -- i'll assume it's 128kb flash (at best)

wayne
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie

If you don't have anything currently that streams music, (i.e. TV, BRP, AVR) - you might want to check into a Squeezebox.

This will initially need a PC to setup, but once everything is set, you don't need to use the PC anymore. This will allow you to stream your own music from your PC (if you desire) - otherwise it will allow you to stream any of the above listed items with the exception of Serius/XM

Basically the squeezebox is a wireless player, that connects directly to your network, so it IS your computer. I've got the Duet, which has a little 3"x4" black wireless router that connects via Optical (or digital coaxial) to my receiver. I use it in place of an actual CD player.
    50" Panasonic Vierra TC-P50VT20 (w/5 pairs glasses)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    Pandoras good and pandora1 is the pay service with high res but you cant choose freely what songs you wana hear
    +1. I use the free version and the bitrate is 128kbps. Pandora also does some kind of "learning" and chooses music based on your likes/dislikes which you can apply to each song on your "station". what you do is first set up a station where you pick songs/artists/albums you like... you can just do a few if you dont have time and it would play those as well as songs that it thinks are similar... pretty simple interface and works on all devices now (tv's, blu ray players etc) all have pandora support...
    Fronts: Wharfedale diamond 9.6
    Sub: Wharfedale sw250
    Rears: Wharfedale diamond 9.1
    Center: Paradigm cc-350
    Pre-amp: Oppo dv981hd
    Amp for fronts: Parasound hca-1500a
    Amp for rears: Adcom gfa-5400
    Amp for center: Marantz MA500 monoblock
    Polk multimedia speakers for PC setup

I'm not sure what state of mind I was in earlier, but I completely thought your OP said that you wanted to get music without your PC (which is why I went the SB direction)

But I will give a huge +1 for Pandora. It's free for the basic, well worth a shot. You tell it a song or artist you like, and it goes from there. Then you can add other artists, or like/dislike songs/artists and it will learn your preferences.

There are commercials every ~30 minutes or so, and you are limited to 40 hours a month for free. If you upgrade to the P+, you get higher bitstream, commercial free, and its' only .99 a month (might be like $15 for the year, I remember month-to-month was cheaper for some odd reason)
    50" Panasonic Vierra TC-P50VT20 (w/5 pairs glasses)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"

Banned

Another option if you can get a group of people in on it is Simplify Media. It allows you to stream your music library to iPhone or computer PLUS share your library with up to 30 friends (and they can do likewise). They don't get to copy the music but simply stream it.

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    This.

Grooveshark > Pandora.

Imeem used to be the best in my opinion, but then MySpace bought them.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

I second/third grooveshark...
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Member Sales Rating: (16)

You are aware that most streaming sites especially the free one's, stream heavily compressed music. It's nice for background or parties but leaves a lot to be desired if you are looking for something high quality. The possible exception being Sirrus but then you pay more for that.

I understand not everything in this hobby has to be spectacular sound, but what I'm getting at is either buy something multi-purpose like a Squeezebox or don't spend a lot on the device or service when it's very mediocre to begin with.

Many of the new DVDp that stream netflix also stream Pandora.

H9

P.s. Your cable company most likely has Music Choice available as part of your std package. I stream that often for background
    Last edited by heiney9; 01-03-2011 at 09:48 AM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Grooveshark has fairly decent audio quality, at least on par with Pandora if not better. I wouldn't do "critical" listening with either, but i'm certainly not annoyed with the quality. I'm usually just cranking these when i'm cleaning/making dinner anyways. That said, my system is also VERY forgiving, which is something i wanted, since most of the bands that i like, have their cds recorded in a very terrible fashion. :tongue:
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Pandora1 is 192kbps - but not all devices get that high quality signal - ie. if you're streaming from a computer or iPhone you'll get it. But you'll only get 128kbps from a Squeezebox.

Also, you can't just choose songs on Pandora - but after using the thumbs up / down feature, it does a great job picking songs. My 'Tears for Fears' station ends up playing stuff from the 80s to now - 90% of it great songs.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Member Sales Rating: (6)

What about XM? Polk had a really nice player, the XRt12. The can be had for $75-150. IMO, they sound excellent.
    design is where science and art break even.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    Does apple make anything like that?
    I use the apple tv to stream music from my Itunes on my mac to my processor. The processor has upsampling dacs so I don't know how it would sound in your system, but the sound is good for me. I would not say it is cd quality, but better than radio or cable.

Quote Originally Posted by newrival View Post
    What about XM? Polk had a really nice player, the XRt12. The can be had for $75-150. IMO, they sound excellent.
    I can't imagine that XM would sound good. I have a trial in my Acura and even though I like some of the programming, the music is super compressed and sounds horrible.

There are quite a few decent streaming services that have been mentioned here already, but not a lot of good ways to listen, when you aren't at your computer. That's where a device like a Squeezebox, or Apple TV will come in handy. I haven't yet used Apple TV, but have a couple of Squeezeboxes connected, and I have also used an Apple Airport Express to stream music. The limitation with Apples devices (Airport Express and Apple TV), is that you can typically only stream stuff that is in iTunes. iTunes also has to be running in order to use them. The nice thing is you can use an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, or the Apple TV remote to control them.

IMO, the Squeezebox is a much more flexible option especially, if you are looking at doing streaming in more than one room.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

Here are some responses to a similar question.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...treaming+radio

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by gdpeck View Post
    The limitation with Apples devices (Airport Express and Apple TV), is that you can typically only stream stuff that is in iTunes. iTunes also has to be running in order to use them. The nice thing is you can use an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, or the Apple TV remote to control them.

IMO, the Squeezebox is a much more flexible option especially, if you are looking at doing streaming in more than one room.
    That is exactly right, I have a substantial itunes library so the limitation to itunes is not a huge factor, plus my playlists are always available to fit my mood or needs. Using the Apple TV (only $99 bucks now!!!) in each room allows me to have access to Netflix and music in any room without any cables or wires being run. Overall I really like the interface, menu, and overall options. I do leave Itunes open on my Mac at all times anyways and the music quality has surpassed my expectations thus far. I ordered a couple MIT HDMI cables, I will see if it makes a difference at all.

Leroy, I was thinking of ordering another Apple TV for another bedroom I just finished, if you want to cover shipping you are welcomed to demo it if you already have a Mac in the house.

Leroy,

I listen to pandora too. It is within the avr, however aforementioned it is limited to a bitrate of 128kbs. It is really great for background. I just learned about the pandora1 just now. If the pandora1 steps up to 192kbs that would be much better. But gosh thats just another bill! LOL

Matt
    Integra DTR 50.2 used as a preamp
    Rotel RCD 1520 cdp
    AudioQuest Jaguar 72v dbs ic's
    AudioQuest type 8 wire
    biamped to:
    2-Hafler 9500 trans nova's
    AudioQuest NRG-3 power cable's
    dedicated AC line for
    Tesla Plex 20a duplex receptacle
    Panamax Max 7500 pro surge/line conditioner
    SDA SRS 3.1 TL's modded...
    spikes, rdo's, rings, dynamat, sonicaps, mills & aeon
    Panasonic Viera G20 50" plasma

...SDA's are just like candy for your ears...

I've been using Pandora lateley as well. The free version.

I don't notice any quality issues, but I'm usually working when I'm listening.

Only complaint is every dozen or so songs, it pops up with the "Are you still listening" box

Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    Grooveshark has fairly decent audio quality, at least on par with Pandora if not better. I wouldn't do "critical" listening with either, but i'm certainly not annoyed with the quality.
    My thoughts exacty.I use it only with my PC rig and find it more than acceptable.

Thread Information