Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    For discussions concerning nutrition and health in the Ancient world, see the works of Jared Diamond. They are in basic agreement with Demi above....mostly.

cnh
    I don't know that I've read him, but I know I've got some interesting books on these topics. Early in college I got heavily wrapped up in Malthus and read anything I could get my hands on regarding this an related topics.
    design is where science and art break even.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by bruss View Post
    5 Guys is totally worth a try IMO. I love their burgers and they are currently #1 on zagats
    They make kickass hotdogs too!
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Theres an interesting topic: Hotdogs

There prepared so differetly from region to region.

Here is the Chicago hotdog:
    beef dog
    poppyseed bun
    mustard
    pickle spear and/or relish
    onions
    tomato
    sport peppers
    celery salt

NO ketchup

I'm always amazed at the different variations when I'm traveling

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I put ketchup on my hot dog EVERY TIME. Anyone who doesn't like it can bite me.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

I'm not particularly adverse to putting ketchup on a hot dog. But I've gotta admit, Chicago style is on a whole other level. But I'm with you... I've never understood the concept of "hot dog snobbery".

I'm sure our friends here in Arizona can attest to the thing of wonder that is a Sonoran hot dog.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default chick fil-a fries

normally i dont care for waffle fries, actually i dont consider them fries, but chick fil-a has some pretty good ones.

we tried wendys new fries, with a single and chocolate shake, about on a par with all the others, we were never crazy about their old fries.

the new ones are sorta like steak and shake.

and you better believe fries cooked in beef tallow were better, and no that does not mean smart, just delicious.
    humpty dumpty was pushed

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Chili, saute'd onions and a healthy(cough) helping of cheddar/jack cheese for me.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

The new ones are nothing like Steak and Shake - those being of the "shoestring genus".

Good to see the fat chicks are finally coming out of the woodwork.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Ok, here's a test for you Jersey guys who aren't too young? Anyone remember Jimmie's Hot Dog stand on the Jersey side of the Pa./N.J. Border (on the other side of the Delaware Bridge). Easton, Pa/Phillipsberg, N.J.?

I bet George Grand knows?

cnh

Don't they deep-fry their dawgs?

Quote Originally Posted by scottyboy76 View Post
    and you better believe fries cooked in beef tallow were better, and no that does not mean smart, just delicious.

Thanks for that... It was my original point!

I particularily liked the thicker cut "steakhouse" fries we had at a place called the "Ground Round" up in the Twin Cities.
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Is there really hot dog snobery?

Hot dogs are just one of those things, like pizza. Regions pride themselves on certain things. (chicao's the best for both, btw. hahaha)

I really couldn't care less if someone eats a hotdog with ketchup. It's just funny cuz you'll get a lot of sideways looks the second you ask "have any ketchup" *record screech*

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Chili, saute'd onions and a healthy(cough) helping of cheddar/jack cheese for me.
    What kind of chili?

Has to be of a thicker variety, but with beans. That way you can create just the right aroma for others to enjoy later.

Has anyone had those smiley fries Buffalo Wild Wings used to have? Those were way good, if a little bit childish.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by zombie boy 2000 View Post
    I'm not particularly adverse to putting ketchup on a hot dog. But I've gotta admit, Chicago style is on a whole other level. But I'm with you... I've never understood the concept of "hot dog snobbery".

I'm sure our friends here in Arizona can attest to the thing of wonder that is a Sonoran hot dog.
    Yeah, I mean, if I had some kinda gourmet "Chicago" hot dog it might be different, but the standard ballpark pig lips and *******s? Who cares what you put on it? It's a bunch of processed meat in tube form.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Quote Originally Posted by newrival View Post
    Has anyone had those smiley fries Buffalo Wild Wings used to have? Those were way good, if a little bit childish.
    I knew you weren't that far removed from Happy Meals.:tongue:

Ok, here's a test for you Jersey guys who aren't too young? Anyone remember Jimmie's Hot Dog stand on the Jersey side of the Pa./N.J. Border (on the other side of the Delaware Bridge). Easton, Pa/Phillipsberg, N.J.?

cnh
    You sure it was Jimmy's? I used to stop at a Hot Dog Johnny's (it's still there) up in that area. The line stretches almost a 1/4 mile on real nice days. They are on Rt 46 just north of Phillipsburg.

If that's the one you're talking about then yes, I have patronized that establishment a few times. However, this Jimmy's...I know not what you speak of.

Southern New Jersey, the clean part, where all the manure is...

cnh
    By the time I was old enough, it was turned into HotDog Johnny's. Jimmy died, of a heart attack...

HotDog Johnny took over the other shop in Buttzville (yeah, Buttzville. If you don't like it you can kiss my...)

Over in Delaware there is a shop on 13 called The Dog House. Foot longs wit chili and cheese whiz and a dinner plate side of fries cooked in peanut oil smothered with Old Bay. F#ckin A...
    Last edited by amulford; 01-05-2011 at 07:13 PM.
    I smell ass, burning ass, glowing cherry red spanked ass.

RT1

I knew you weren't that far removed from Happy Meals.:tongue:
    No matter how hard I try...

Check out Hot Doug's specials: http://www.hotdougs.com/specials.htm

They've had some crazy cased meats through there including rattlesnake, moose, and antelope. He makes them all the night before and when he runs out he's out. They open at 10a and by 10:30 the lines around the block. Only room for about 20 people inside, too
    Last edited by newrival; 01-05-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amulford View Post
    By the time I was old enough, it was turned into HotDog Johnny's. Jimmy died, of a heart attack...

HotDog Johnny took over the other shop in Buttzville (yeah, Buttzville. If you don't like it you can kiss my...)

Over in Delaware there is a shop on 13 called The Dog House. Foot longs wit chili and cheese whiz and a dinner plate side of fries cooked in peanut oil smothered with Old Bay. F#ckin A...
    Dude, Hot Dog Johnny's has been in business since 1944. Maybe Jimmy's was the one in Butzville that Johnny's took over? Johnny's started out as a shack at a gas station on the corner of Rt 46 and Rt 31 owned by John Kovalsky. They moved the stand to the larger Rt 46 site in like 1946. Been there ever since.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Jimmie's may or may not have been around before 1944! I think it was? I'm not old enough to know and my Father is gone. But Jimmy lived to about 100 so I suspect he got started earlier--as he was among the first wave of immigrants on the Pa. side. Definitely not Johnny's, though I think I know what you're talking about. Back in the 50s....people used to drive 50, 60, 70 miles for a Jim's Dog. They weren't deep fried, but they were fried in a mixture of lard, onions, probably some salt and pepper? This guy was selling them 2 for a quarter and making thousands and thousands of dollars back then with ONE small, ONE room stand directly on the Banks of the Delaware river in Phillipsburg. The Original Jims was left to his daughter who ran it from a distance for a while when it relocated from the river's edge (after a truck backed into it and took it out) to a larger building a hundred or so feet away.

Then after that, a couple of the workers, took the recipe and the name to a strip Mall in Easton, Pa., where until recently, it continues....at least I think it's still there? As for Buttzville...I know where that is, but I can't comment on 'any' relationship with Jimmie's. As I don't know of one.

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 01-05-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (15)

White "Coney dogs" FTW.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Jimmie's may or may not have been around before 1944! I think it was? I'm not old enough to know and my Father is gone. But Jimmy lived to about 100 so I suspect he got started earlier--as he was among the first wave of immigrants on the Pa. side. Definitely not Johnny's, though I think I know what you're talking about. Back in the 50s....people used to drive 50, 60, 70 miles for a Jim's Dog. They weren't deep fried, but they were fried in a mixture of lard, onions, probably some salt and pepper? This guy was selling them 2 for a quarter and making thousands and thousands of dollars back then with ONE small, ONE room stand directly on the Banks of the Delaware river in Phillipsburg. The Original Jims was left to his daughter who ran it from a distance for a while when it relocated from the river's edge (after a truck backed into it and took it out) to a larger building a hundred or so feet away.

Then after that, a couple of the workers, took the recipe and the name to a strip Mall in Easton, Pa., where until recently, it continues....at least I think it's still there? As for Buttzville...I know where that is, but I can't comment on 'any' relationship with Jimmie's. As I don't know of one.

cnh
    Well, I'll tell ya, I don't remember of any Jimmie's or Jimmy's on the Jersey side in that area. There was one called Jimmie's down in New Hope before it became hippie central. I know Hot Dog Johnny has been there for a long time. My father used to do field work in the 70's for TRW and was up that way all the time for banks, fixing ATMs. He said when he was a kid, in the boy scouts, they would stop at Hot Dog Johnny's on the way back from camping trips up in the Delaware Water Gap Park. That was in the 50's. The first time I went there, I was 5 years old and my brother was an infant. Had to be like 1982. It hasn't changed since. It's up there in God's country too. Just a beautiful area, especially with the river going right past the stand.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Quote Originally Posted by newrival View Post
    Theres an interesting topic: Hotdogs

There prepared so differetly from region to region.

Here is the Chicago hotdog:
    beef dog
    poppyseed bun
    mustard
    pickle spear and/or relish
    onions
    tomato
    sport peppers
    celery salt

NO ketchup

I'm always amazed at the different variations when I'm traveling
    When I lived up there, I was never a huge fan of the hot dog being cooked / warmed in that funky vat of water...I prefer them grilled. With that said, if you are ever in the greater ORD area, check out a chain called Portillo's. Great dogs, Italian sausage and beef, ribs to name a few. Atlanta has nothing close to a Portillos that I am aware of
    Home Theater (5.1)
    Optoma HD-25LV PJ
    Pioneer SC-63 AVR
    Pioneer BDP-95F
    Parasound HCA 1205
    Monster 2500 Power
    Polk RTIa9
    Polk CSIa6
    Polk FXIa6
    Polk DSW 600

Music Setup
    Polk LSiM703s
    Music Hall A70.2 Integrated
    Music Hall 25.3 DAC
    Cambridge 640 v2 CDP
    Yamaha T-1 Tuner

MMMMMM.... Portillo's.:tongue:

Member Sales Rating: (7)

MMMMMM.... Portillo's.:tongue:

You know they deliver just about everything on the menu via FedEx...not sure if they are located in IN. also...
    Last edited by kevhed72; 01-06-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: typo
    Home Theater (5.1)
    Optoma HD-25LV PJ
    Pioneer SC-63 AVR
    Pioneer BDP-95F
    Parasound HCA 1205
    Monster 2500 Power
    Polk RTIa9
    Polk CSIa6
    Polk FXIa6
    Polk DSW 600

Music Setup
    Polk LSiM703s
    Music Hall A70.2 Integrated
    Music Hall 25.3 DAC
    Cambridge 640 v2 CDP
    Yamaha T-1 Tuner

About 90 minutes north, in Merriville. I stop there every time I am up there.

Thread Information