Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (5)

That amp looks familiar.
    -Kevin
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)

Polk LS 90's - Front
    Polk CS350 LS - Center
    Polk Monitor 50's - Rear
    JBL Northridge E150P - Sub

2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    Polk LS90's (spiked & tweeked)
    Cardas IC's
    Cardas Bi-Wire

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Towers, have to go with the Towers. I can't see messing with a sub or using them for HT.
    Mains - LSi9's
    Center - LSiC
    Amplification - Parasound 2125
    AVR - Onkyo 706
    CD/SACD - Onkyo DV-SP506
    SUB - MartinLogan Abyss
    55" Panasonic Viera TC-P55GT30 3D
    Bluray - DMP-BDT310 Panasonic

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I have my fingers crossed when I demo these that they will be ideal pairing these with some nice monoblocks and room treatments.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Ok I got 6000 in tax returns this year....put the full package together...well at least tell me where to start...I want the bookshelves but how do I drive everything? How will you guys drive these? What sub to get?
    Retired Onkyo 520 (returned broken HK 247)
    Now a Pioneer 1018
    CSi3
    2- RTI10's
    2- R50's
    2- Fxi3's
    Onkyo 250W Sub
    Polk psw-10

"Inch by inch lifes a cinch, yard by yard life is hard"

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Ramp up guys and gals.

But on another note, not one, I mean ONE friggin' member needs to think the 9's, or 15's or whatever they own now are 'not worth it' in the least. LSi7? There will never be another, closest being the TL3 Blackstone. Keep them. Cherish them. GREAT speakers, and the foundation for what Polk is laying down now.

I'm still trying to get a hold of a pair of 9's, I LOVE that speaker, and honestly - although the new LSiM is the goal for the reference rig, I still want the 9's, and that amount of 'forgiveness' that they have for the bulk of my music collection.

These new LSiM series are insane, I simply cannot wait for the forum to start getting their ears on them.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

yo RUSS theres a ton of info out there on the LSiM from CES but we aint hearing much about the other gear they were displaying !! Tell us about the TL3 and the new Surroundbar demo will ya :). I'm almost as excited about those as I am about the LSiM :)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

It would be interesting to see in what ways the sound of the towers has changed since the tweaking done after PolkFest. Since Russman was not there is there anyone from Polk at CES who heard the before and after, because it was already clear at PF that these speakers are quite articulate and detailed but some of the SDA crowd still felt they weren't quite all there 'yet'.

The other question would be who their 'target' market is if, indeed, such a high level of equipment is necessary. I wouldn't say that we ran them with EXTREMELY High End components at the Fest...but certainly very very good pieces and they still sounded very 'good' indeed, and were not 'that unforgiving'?

So I guess, what I'm saying is that I'm not following some of the review above.

But then again, I haven't heard the final product.

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 01-12-2011 at 12:12 AM.

You heard straight up prototypes at PF, still tweaking crossovers, etc. The versions at the Venetian were on high end, selected electronics and cables, and essentially final prototypes - only cabinet tweeks remaining. You didn't run them with appropriate gear at PF, but that's Polk giving their committed members a taste, vs doing it right, and all should be thankful. You guys and gals got first taste, period, who else does that? Crossovers with alligator clips, really? Hardcore.

This product, LSiM is done - just waiting to roll it out through QA.

Topper, the Blackstone is the last Satellite you need, any series. TL3 with a DSW500? Forget it, fill any room with GREAT sound. Surroundbar 6000? Yeah, get your ears on one, and see how far, how quickly Polk has come is this arena. STUPID good sound, Ronco it.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Last edited by RuSsMaN; 01-12-2011 at 12:21 AM.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    ..... but some of the SDA crowd still felt they weren't quite all there 'yet'.
    That's because they aren't over 20 years old and worn out. Oops. I mean broke in.

They weren't at PF. Polk did something no one else would do, and broke you guys off a taste. Alligator clips on crossovers? Really?

They are in 'final approach' now, and short of final Q&A, are ready to go. This isn't and should never be an SDA vs LSi convo. I'd like a new Ford GT, just as much as an original one, they both have their heritage and merits. Why that gets so twisted with audio, I will never understand. If by chance I can swing new LSiM, you think for a second I'll stop listening to and loving my RT7's? Not a chance.

Cheers,
    Russ

The Blackstone TL3s blew me away. If you closed your eyes it sounded just like a full size speaker. Super smooth highs and mids. No small speaker harshness like most satellite speakers. Very nice heavy solid feel and construction. I can't wait to get them!

Ok you guys all saw Soundstage's post on the new LSiM speakers:

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/inde...d=57&Itemid=86

it made it on their list of 'Best of Las Vegas 2011'.

But have you guys seen their 'Worst of Las Vegas 2011' list?

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/inde...d=58&Itemid=87

it really puts things in perspective and really makes them LSiM speakers shine in how much value they actually bring to the table :)

Wow the bigger and more expensive they are the fuglier they are as well!

Russ, how much do both towers weigh, and just what kind of power will it take to run them? When are they going to post the specs?

More to the point, is Polk finally going to step up & include this important information with the speakers?

I know they want to sell a lot of them, but I think they do themselves and their customers a diservice, by allowing everyone to think that these can be run off of your average AVR.
    Last edited by cfrizz; 01-12-2011 at 11:50 AM.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Any updates as to when production quantities will start flowing into the distribution outlets for 'in-store' demos by general consumers?

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by RuSsMaN View Post
    They weren't at PF. Polk did something no one else would do, and broke you guys off a taste. Alligator clips on crossovers? Really?

They are in 'final approach' now, and short of final Q&A, are ready to go. This isn't and should never be an SDA vs LSi convo. I'd like a new Ford GT, just as much as an original one, they both have their heritage and merits. Why that gets so twisted with audio, I will never understand. If by chance I can swing new LSiM, you think for a second I'll stop listening to and loving my RT7's? Not a chance.

Cheers,
    Russ
    I hear what you're saying! And I can't disagree. Well, maybe...you don't like Alligator clips and makeshift wiring. lol

For a while it was like a science project just getting the board with the crossovers to boot up. And we are certainly, all very grateful to Polk for giving us that 'teaser'.

cnh

Happily my old Monitor 7s and 10s will sound the same as hey did this morning!
    So will my ADS L810s and L710s. I'm way to old to invest in all this new goldarn fancy beautiful astonishing stuff!

I’ve always liked Polk for the sound, value and thoughtful engineering. That’s why I made it a mission to visit your rooms at CES to see Polk’s contribution to the audiophile technology wars. What I saw in the LSiM was impressive, but the market and consumer realities are that when it comes to unit sales Blackstone is where it’s at. I’m a CIO of a midsized company and my wife is a MD, we could afford the LSiM series but in the end what’s my ROI when virtually everything I listen to has now been converted to MP3’s and like many consumers, I recognize that fidelity (the sad state of it) is moving more toward iPods and streamed content . . . movies, music, HULU and PlayStation stuff.

The audiophile market is analogous to the NASA or Indi Cars; the Polk’s have to play in that space for R&D trickle-down, to polish their technology and keep themselves relevant. The wonderful and technically competitive LSiM might sell how many units . . . 10,000? I walk out of the demonstration room feeling like I want to cut a check . . . . but for what? My fidelity challenged music collection has at best CD-ROM’s . . . no vinyl or SACD . . . at best I have a Blu-Ray copy of 5th Element when I want to hear the blue chick sing. I will have to upgrade my amps to even run the LSiM bookshelves (stunning looking speakers that I wish I heard a demo of) along with my music sources to enjoy the clarity I heard in that room.

I’ll mod my RTi6’s to squeeze the last bit of signal out of them before I give it to my daughter or move them to my garage work-room and buy something new (RTiA7 or your next RTi upgrade) . . . sadly my 13 year old is going to want a docking station for her MP3 player (notice that’s where Polk won its CES awards) before she moves to a wireless 5.1 system the size of matchbooks. Guys like me (50+) remember turntables and big polished speakers that were just as much high-end furniture as well music conduits.

Polk, keep the R&D alive . . . I love your stuff!!

Very well said - Times are a'changin fellows. May not be for the best, but it's happening. Being 31, I can't talk much nostalgia - but I am old enough to see the changes myself. My very first introduction to music was a handmedown panasonic stereo with a phono player (had an awesome slide-out drawer, so the phone sat under my stereo) with my Bon Jovi Slipper when wet LP. Down the road, I bought a USED CD player from the GOODWILL of all places, and it still ran me like $75. My very first CD was Motley Crue's Dr Feelgood. I can certainly appreciate the changes as well as the memories.
    50" Panasonic Vierra TC-P50VT20 (w/5 pairs glasses)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"

Looking forward to the Dallas meet.
    Fronts - LS-90
    Center - CS-400i
    Sides - FX-1000
    Rears - AB755 (2)
    Sub - SVS 25-31 PC-Plus
    Amp - B&K AVR317

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by Tour2ma View Post
    +1... has to be a mated sub somewhere in the future.

But those oblong woofers in the tower are kinda freakin' me out...
    If they perform near the subs in my Mythos ST, they will be more than adequate for most everybody's needs. My towers can rattle the entire bottom floor at times and are usually dialed in relatively low.

Believe me the oval woofers kicked some serious sub bass probably digging down to the low 20Hz range.

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by Roamingrasta View Post
    I’m a CIO of a midsized company and my wife is a MD, we could afford the LSiM series but in the end what’s my ROI when virtually everything I listen to has now been converted to MP3’s...
    My fidelity challenged music collection has at best CD-ROM’s . . . no vinyl or SACD . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Glowrdr View Post
    Very well said - Times are a'changin fellows. May not be for the best, but it's happening.
    Only if you let it...
    - CD's are still alive and better than ever SQ-wise.
    - Vinyl quality is much higher than it was in my vinyl buyin' hey-day.

I may or may not end up with two of the 10,000 LSiM's (I'll take the over on the 10k), but it won't be for lack of input quality.

Not trying to flame, we all make personal choices, but decrying the lack of source quality available reflects your priorities, not the state of recording today.

Yo, walter...
    Still humpin' the 90's I see... Still have fond memories of them gettin' "More Human'd" at PF-Russman (PFII?)...
    Last edited by Tour2ma; 01-16-2011 at 11:14 AM.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

Member Sales Rating: (7)

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

Quote Originally Posted by Roamingrasta View Post
    Iíve always liked Polk for the sound, value and thoughtful engineering. Thatís why I made it a mission to visit your rooms at CES to see Polkís contribution to the audiophile technology wars. What I saw in the LSiM was impressive, but the market and consumer realities are that when it comes to unit sales Blackstone is where itís at. Iím a CIO of a midsized company and my wife is a MD, we could afford the LSiM series but in the end whatís my ROI when virtually everything I listen to has now been converted to MP3ís and like many consumers, I recognize that fidelity (the sad state of it) is moving more toward iPods and streamed content . . . movies, music, HULU and PlayStation stuff.

The audiophile market is analogous to the NASA or Indi Cars; the Polkís have to play in that space for R&D trickle-down, to polish their technology and keep themselves relevant. The wonderful and technically competitive LSiM might sell how many units . . . 10,000? I walk out of the demonstration room feeling like I want to cut a check . . . . but for what? My fidelity challenged music collection has at best CD-ROMís . . . no vinyl or SACD . . . at best I have a Blu-Ray copy of 5th Element when I want to hear the blue chick sing. I will have to upgrade my amps to even run the LSiM bookshelves (stunning looking speakers that I wish I heard a demo of) along with my music sources to enjoy the clarity I heard in that room.

Iíll mod my RTi6ís to squeeze the last bit of signal out of them before I give it to my daughter or move them to my garage work-room and buy something new (RTiA7 or your next RTi upgrade) . . . sadly my 13 year old is going to want a docking station for her MP3 player (notice thatís where Polk won its CES awards) before she moves to a wireless 5.1 system the size of matchbooks. Guys like me (50+) remember turntables and big polished speakers that were just as much high-end furniture as well music conduits.

Polk, keep the R&D alive . . . I love your stuff!!
    You know, I hear this all the time....and I'ld like to take this point by point.

I agree, the Blackstone will move more boxes. It should. The LSiM, is aimed at a different, and smaller, market segment.

As far as high fidelity....eh, I hear this all time and I fall prey to thinking this sometimes but I'm actually going to disagree. Crappy recordings are NOTHING new. In fact, in terms of sheer volume, there is more WELL recorded material available now in any format, digital (download), CD, SACD, LP then there ever has been. Is there crap out there? Yup. I'm a vinyl junkie but there is a lot of poorly recorded/pressed vinyl out there from back in the day.....so, to me, that dog just doesn't hunt. I could go on ad infinito about this but lets just say I don't buy that there isn't hifi material out there.

As far as your personal paradigm, so what? I mean, the LSiM is NOT a mainstream product. It's not a gateway product (maybe gateway to even higer end but it's not entry level)....your RTi's are. You have, it would seem, hit your sweetspot...and that's cool. Not knocking it. Everyone has to make that decision for themselves. As far as the 'trickle down', it's inevitable and HELLZ to the YEAH....Polks more affordable lines will damn skippy be improved.....trickle down economics WORK (Thank you, Ronaldus Magnus, wherever you are). It's a win-win.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Yo, walter...
    Still humpin' the 90's I see... Still have fond memories of them gettin' "More Human'd" at PF-Russman (PFII?)...
    Yes sir. I've had these so long any new speakers would just sound wrong.
    Fronts - LS-90
    Center - CS-400i
    Sides - FX-1000
    Rears - AB755 (2)
    Sub - SVS 25-31 PC-Plus
    Amp - B&K AVR317

Only if you let it...
    - CD's are still alive and better than ever SQ-wise.
    - Vinyl quality is much higher than it was in my vinyl buyin' hey-day.

I may or may not end up with two of the 10,000 LSiM's (I'll take the over on the 10k), but it won't be for lack of input quality.

Not trying to flame, we all make personal choices, but decrying the lack of source quality available reflects your priorities, not the state of recording today.

Yo, walter...
    Can't say for sure what the two posts quoted really indended, but what I read in them was the general swing in where the money is, or will be for the manufacturers. Not that source quality isn't or won't be available, but most sales for companies are going to be more and more in the market of compressed/streaming users. I don't think this is all that new, audiophiles have always been a very small piece of the pie. At least that was my take

Member Sales Rating: (41)

+1... has to be a mated sub somewhere in the future.

But those oblong woofers in the tower are kinda freakin' me out...
    If they're anything like the racetrack woofers in the Mythos you'll be very happy. Nice quick punchy bass.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Those oblong woofers are fine as long as they're not playing midrange.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Looking at those, I feel like I just snapped into a Slim Jim!!

Very nice, beautiful design, where art meets technology!

Just love it!
    [SIZE="1"]Mitsubishi 60" HD LDP
    Polk RTI-A3 L/R
    Csi-a4 CC
    Polk CSW 10 Sub
    Pio. Elite VSX-03
    Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-Ray
    Polk Fxi3s for surround.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by topper View Post
    sweet!!!!!!!
    Linn AV5140 fronts