Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Default Finally, I found a job

After 9 months of being layoff, I have some good news to share...

I just accept a job offer for an actuarial position near the Hartford, CT area. The start date is January 24 and I am excited to join the new company.

I will move first and my family will join me later within a year or so. Shortly moving there, I will be looking to rent a spare room from a homeowner. Are there any CP members in the Hartford area that have (or know someone that might have) a spare room for rent? What are the desired locations to live? What locations that I should avoid?

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Congrats on the new job. I don't have any advice about Hartford, though.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Congrats on the job!

What company?
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Member Sales Rating: (47)

hey,, congratulations on the job.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    What company?
    Alea North America Insurance Group

Ah. I know of them.

Sweet deal. A job is a job. Glad you found one!

BTW, Hartford, CT is a nice area. You and your family will love it there. I don't know many specifics about the area though so I can't help on that front. My company has offices there as well and the surrounding area is pleasant.

Are you in the insurance business?

No, I'm an IT weenie. But my company does HR outsourcing, benefits plan management, reinsurance and all kinds of good stuff like that.

Member Sales Rating: (43)

I have done a lot of work in the Hartford area. There are some nice areas around there. What I need to know is what part of Hartford are you going to be working in? I am going to guess that you will be in the NE area where all the main insurance company's are. What type of area do you want to live in? It isn't a bad commute to be in a country setting if that is your thing. Manchester is close and has tons of shopping if you want to help your wife spend money. Also in some areas it looks good during the day, but can be real bad at night.
    Congrats
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Congrats on the new job, kn. Lot of us in the economic pinch right now. Hopefully 2011 will be better for the rest of us still looking.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Congrats on the new Job!!!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Congrats That is great news.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

NE Connecticut (up 84 from Hartford to MA) is a beautiful area.
    Fair amount of hifi in the vicinity of Hartford (stores, clubs, lone hifi nuts) :-)
    Just 90 minutes from Boston, too :-)

Finally there's an antique radio museum now located in Windsor Locks (near the airport, I assume). Not sure how they're doing any more, but they do still exist.
    http://www.vrcmct.org/index.html Vintage Radio and Communications Museum of Connecticut.

Nice little air museum up by the airport, too.
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 01-08-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    I have done a lot of work in the Hartford area. There are some nice areas around there. What I need to know is what part of Hartford are you going to be working in? I am going to guess that you will be in the NE area where all the main insurance company's are. What type of area do you want to live in? It isn't a bad commute to be in a country setting if that is your thing. Manchester is close and has tons of shopping if you want to help your wife spend money. Also in some areas it looks good during the day, but can be real bad at night.
    Congrats
    Ben
    It is Rocky Hill, a little south of Hartford. I will there by myself for about a year. I dont have a referrence for the area type. I just need a safe area and be close to work.

Ben, have you moved from Atlanta to Hartford? If you live near Hartford, I can bring the CRS+ with me so you can upgrade them to TL.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    Congrats on the new job, kn. Lot of us in the economic pinch right now. Hopefully 2011 will be better for the rest of us still looking.
    It is difficult when you are out of work. Hanging in there, things will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    NE Connecticut (up 84 from Hartford to MA) is a beautiful area.
    Fair amount of hifi in the vicinity of Hartford (stores, clubs, lone hifi nuts) :-)
    Just 90 minutes from Boston, too :-)

Finally there's an antique radio museum now located in Windsor Locks (near the airport, I assume). Not sure how they're doing any more, but they do still exist.
    http://www.vrcmct.org/index.html Vintage Radio and Communications Museum of Connecticut.

Nice little air museum up by the airport, too.
    Thanks for the info. I will check them out when I there.

Sweet location. I was going to suggest the Newington/Rocky hill area to you if you were on the east side of Hartford. Comuting should be very easy there. I actually grew up in CT and did a whole bunch of work all over the state. I am about a half hour from where you would be. It would be great to see you over here. I have plenty of places to show you and your family to go to. CT is a great state except I hate winter. We have nearly everything here. Nice beaches, fishing, hunting, history. I could fill up a bunch of pages on cool things to do in our area. I look forward to meeting you. I'll scratch my head a bit and see what I can come up with for good locations to live in. I really need to know what type of neighborhood you are looking at.
    Take care.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

BTW if you like seafood there is a great restaurant near you. Pizza's are good in the right shops. Also you will be eating grinders instead of subs
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default congrats and good luck

congrats on the new job and will be praying for all who are looking to find work, this really seems to be a different down time in our country, much more uncertainty about not just unemployment, but everything that has made us great.

I still believe in us,but to have family depending on you and everyone shutting doors in your face is tough.

Im also praying for your family, being separated for a year, you are a good man to do whatever it takes.
    humpty dumpty was pushed

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Congrats on the new job!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Congrats on the new job, and welcome to the Northeast!

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Congrats on the job! Hope it goes very well for you, I was in the same boat as you not that long ago. The job I have right now is no were near my ideal job. Looking for something better though as always. Working and looking is a lot better than not working and looking. Hope the new job treats you well and takes you far.
    Speakers:SDA2a, sub:Atlantic Technologies 172 PBM
    Pre:B&K PRO-10MC(2ch)
    Amps:Parasound HCA 1000a
    SourcesOppo DV-970HD, Xbox360, Kenwood KT-5300
    Cables:Philips/RCA/Monster

Life's short, Listen to SDA's
    Life is short live Sui Juris
    Where did SOPA go?

Thanks for all the congrats.

The current job market is very differrent and difficult for most job seekers. I had never have any problem to find an actuarial job during the last 20 years of my carreer. But this time, I had serveral employers turned me down for over-qualifications reason. Best of lucks to all current job seekers.

One of the reasons it took me this long to find a job was because I did not want to move to the northeast because dont like the cold weather. However, I do like seafoods, especially lobster.

I am not picky at the neighborhoods for my temporary housing at the moment. When I am ready to buy a home, I am thinking about the houses between Rocky Hill and East Hartford (because we would like to send the kids to a high school with IB program).
    Last edited by kn505; 01-10-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Thread Information