Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Pioneer sx 1010 receiver

I've had two of these receivers. One died a few years back and the one I have now sounds very good on most CDS I've played so far. I have CDs that I use to see how the receiver handles different loads and the CD I like to use for bass is Jennifer Warren's The Hunter. The cut "Way Down" has some bass that seems difficult for some receivers to play fairly loud.........not ear shattering but above average listening levels. The 1010 I have now distorts the sound in my Monitor 7s at this level. What is the most likely cause of reduced power in a receiver (the 1010 that died could handle this). We have only one stereo repair place locally. I haven't talked to them but I'd like to get a technician familiar with vintage audio. What I need is some talking points before I talk to the local shop.
    This receiver plays other CDs easily and sounds very good.
    Vintage audio is not always cheap but I'm vintage and I aint cheap either.
    TIA

Member Sales Rating: (2)

May be the speakers rather than the amplifier; the bass in Way Down Deep is intense and is a torture test for speakers. Indeed, that track is one of my favorite tools to check speakers for cabinet resonances, woofer voice coil rubbing, and loose screws.
    all the best,
    mrh

Yeah...I've used this recording several times. It is a severe test of both the speaker and amp. I played it on the same speakers using the amp. section of my Yamaha 2092 receiver and it handled it much better.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Thing is Don,being the vintage guy that you are, vintage gear usually shows their age when pushed. Revealing a need to update some guts. Maybe it's time if you want to hang on to them.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Thing is Don,being the vintage guy that you are, vintage gear usually shows their age when pushed. Revealing a need to update some guts. Maybe it's time if you want to hang on to them.

I'm sure you're right and it's not something I have the skills to do. I'll be talking to the one local shop here but I don't want to go in there without some knowledge of what needs to be done and the best or at least the very good parts that should be used. I'm hoping someone here can educate me just a bit. I don't have any idea what recapping should cost and what brand of caps would be best for this receiver. I've read a lot about replacing the caps in crossovers but haven't found much about amps or receivers. I don't care at all about the tuner just the preamp and power amp. Thanks for all your replies.

I've just had one knee replaced and most of my other parts are in good working order..............heart's about worn out but they probably won't waste a good one on me

Member Sales Rating: (1)

It's not so much the parts, it's the labor charges that vary and can add up. Usually a ball park figure is around 2-400 to bring a vintage SS receiver back up to spec. You just have to decide if it's worth it to you. Wouldn't hurt to take it in for an estimate though if your attached to the piece.

I think it's worth $200-$300 if I can get it done by someone who really knows what he's doing. My wife bought a 1010 for me in '76 and it lasted till the late '90s and I foolishly gave it away. She passed away in '95 so this one has more to do with sentiment than practicality Thanks tonyb for your reply.

Thread Information