Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Traction

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Holy crap.

Invest in chains/better tires?

I've never lived in that type of weather so my driving experience there is limited. Though it was much worse when I drove through Colorado/Utah last April in a rental car. Never seen so many cars just sitting on the side of the road trying to wait the storm out. Glad I made it through safely!
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Ya know what bugs me about those vids? Everyone of those drivers had the brakes locked up. I do realize that traction was near nonexistant, but letting off the brake would give you at least a little steering control. Obviously they were not slowing down any with the brakes locked. They could have however at least tried to steer into a better situation.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (0)

on the ground after falling off my bike, CA

Well, Colorado Springs is basically the mountains... UCCS is at 6500 ft...

Man, I have a lot to adjust to...
    Chiranth

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier21
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    Ya know what bugs me about those vids? Everyone of those drivers had the brakes locked up. I do realize that traction was near nonexistant, but letting off the brake would give you at least a little steering control. Obviously they were not slowing down any with the brakes locked. They could have however at least tried to steer into a better situation.
    Exactly Ben! Even my wife knows that she can use the front wheels of her 4wd to help change her direction with use of the throttle. NOT the brakes!

I taught a few friends how to drive in the snow. We would go out and find a hilly parking lot and loose control on purpose. I think everyone should learn how to recover from a bad situation. It would help to get over the grabbing of the binders, and if you have done it a bunch of times in a safe area you would not be as freaked out when you needed to use the skills you learned.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

No traction?

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I was planning to go see my brother down there that day, glad I didn't.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

On a hill that icy, it doesn't matter if your brakes are locked up or you're spinning your wheels, you're just gonna go where gravity and momentum take you.

And in the moment, when you have seconds between normal driving and smashing into a car, you don't always have time to think "wait, what if I ...." Your instinct is BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE!!!! All but the most experienced drivers are going to do just that, and I guarantee that includes most people who say "I don't understand why these idiots don't ________."
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Weather has been quite nice around here......weird.
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeTim View Post
    Exactly Ben! Even my wife knows that she can use the front wheels of her 4wd to help change her direction with use of the throttle. NOT the brakes!
    I taught a few friends how to drive in the snow. We would go out and find a hilly parking lot and loose control on purpose. I think everyone should learn how to recover from a bad situation. It would help to get over the grabbing of the binders, and if you have done it a bunch of times in a safe area you would not be as freaked out when you needed to use the skills you learned.

That bugs me too we are talking Colorado here, I assume they "Know" how to drive in snow.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235 View Post
    On a hill that icy, it doesn't matter if your brakes are locked up or you're spinning your wheels, you're just gonna go where gravity and momentum take you.

And in the moment, when you have seconds between normal driving and smashing into a car, you don't always have time to think "wait, what if I ...." Your instinct is BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE!!!! All but the most experienced drivers are going to do just that, and I guarantee that includes most people who say "I don't understand why these idiots don't ________."
    x2. It would be a great idea to steer away from these cars...that way you can get even more speed sliding down the hill backwards and really do some damage.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

Southern New Jersey, the clean part, where all the manure is...

You got nothin on a road like that, unless you have spiked tires, nothin. You might be able to do some small course correction, but I would rather hit at a slower speed to minimize damage/risk...

Best thing would be stay off the road...
    I smell ass, burning ass, glowing cherry red spanked ass.

RT1

Quote Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
    x2. It would be a great idea to steer away from these cars...that way you can get even more speed sliding down the hill backwards and really do some damage.
    -Cody
    Yeah, there was definitely no steering. There's a longer version of that video online, you can see a few cars actually drive up the hill... and then they get to a spot where momentum fails them, their car slows to a stop and slides backwards. Their tires were spinning FORWARDS and they just stopped and slid backwards. What do you think you're going to be able to do in that situation? Ther'es literally nothing you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by amulford View Post
    Best thing would be stay off the road...
    Stop using common sense, dude. You know that's not allowed here!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I thought you people only had horses out that way.....i learned something today.
    They would of probably been better off.........
    2.0 - Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65 ,Zu Mission SC's, Audio Technica TT, Bugle2 & Bottlehead Reduction Phono Pre's, PS Audio UPC200, Doug's Int's
    HT - Anthem MRX300, RTIA3's, RTIA1's, CSIA4, DSW400, 55ST30, APC H15, 360 Elite, Panny DMP-BD35K

Looking for new homes....
    MIT EXp2 Cables
    Anthem MCA20

Come on guys. They weren't even slowing down with the binders on. Am I saying they would be able to avoid hitting other vehicles? Not all of them. What I am saying is they would be better off positioning themselves better for when they do crash. Also if you can steer that little bit you may be able to stuff one of your tires into a curb. Dragging down a curb will slow you down. If what I am saying doesn't make sense don't drive in the snow at all.
    Cheers
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben

Come on guys. They weren't even slowing down with the binders on. Am I saying they would be able to avoid hitting other vehicles? Not all of them. What I am saying is they would be better off positioning themselves better for when they do crash. Also if you can steer that little bit you may be able to stuff one of your tires into a curb. Dragging down a curb will slow you down. If what I am saying doesn't make sense don't drive in the snow at all.
    Cheers
    Ben
    You've obviously never driven on ice. You can't steer a little bit. All turning your wheel back and forth does is turn your wheels back and forth as you slide whatever direction you were going. Not to say you shouldn't TRY, but it's not going to do anything. And any douche on the Internet can pretend they could get out of the situation, but you couldn't.

Again, that ice is slick enough that a car going UP the hill didn't just spin its tires, but slid backwards solely through the force of gravity. Think about that. Your wheels were propelling you up, and you suddenly just started sliding DOWN. And you think STEERING is going to do anything?!

Um Bob I have spent most of my life driving in New England weather. You are a total asshat sometimes. If you could read you would see what I am saying is obviously locking them up does no good what so ever. If something is not working at all time to try something else. I have driven on ponds before. I have driven out in the woods many a time in adverse weather conditions. Obviously they were Ice, but flat. It is very hilly where I am, and loaded with corners and crowned roads. I know you are a grumpy p!@#k and like to push peoples buttons so I will just laugh at you. BTW when sliding down hill you have much more ability in reverse to swing the front end out to change your coarse IF you are not locked up

Have a good day.
    Ben
    Last edited by Kenneth Swauger; 01-10-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    Thanks
    Ben

I drove home in Black Ice once myself so I know this can be done. May idiots drive cars now a days it seems. Black Ice story, went to movies came out and Black Ice every where managed to get home in one piece. Did one 360 but didn't hit anything but drove some 20 miles to get home.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Quote Originally Posted by disneyjoe7 View Post
    I drove home in Black Ice once myself so I know this can be done. May idiots drive cars now a days it seems. Black Ice story, went to movies came out and Black Ice every where managed to get home in one piece. Did one 360 but didn't hit anything but drove some 20 miles to get home.
    I drove home in Drakkar one night. I was out of Black Ice at the time.

See it can be done... If you have a brain that is.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Quote Originally Posted by disneyjoe7 View Post
    See it can be done... If you have a brain that is.
    Crap.

I'm screwed.

Um Bob I have spent most of my life driving in New England weather. You are a total asshat sometimes. If you could read you would see what I am saying is obviously locking them up does no good what so ever. If something is not working at all time to try something else. I have driven on ponds before. I have driven out in the woods many a time in adverse weather conditions. Obviously they were Ice, but flat. It is very hilly where I am, and loaded with corners and crowned roads. I know you are a grumpy p!@#k and like to push peoples buttons so I will just laugh at you. BTW when sliding down hill you have much more ability in reverse to swing the front end out to change your coarse IF you are not locked up
    Harsh but fair.

I'll just agree to disagree because I like you Ben. ;)

I'm sure you're right, but it's not a blanket statement. There are situations that are unavoidable. Watching the full video, I believe strongly that there is NOTHING youc ould do, outside of having studded tires, to avoid what happened on that road. Some roads, with different circumstances? Sure.

HeHe I like you too Bob. Any time you want to take me to a Patroits game I would love to join you I may even give you some driving pointers while we are at it
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

Studded tires aren't in use like they used to be but...........you could stop and parallel park on that hill in the vid with them on yer vehicle.(if you wanted to, that is.)

Wow, that was really ridiculous. I just drove home here, and it's certainly not that bad. There's maybe 1-2" of snow, 27* out. And it's amazing how so little can change your traction opportunity so much. Now, I only got sideways once, and that was when I intended to, but I was still surprised at how slick it was.

I'm very curious as to what it would be like to drive in different circumstances (little snow, tons of snow, ice, ice on snow, etc), such as the above. Really makes me want to find a parking lot somewhere and try to get acclimated to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

Chains work too, but you have to go slow.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Agreed

Don't agree.

I think we all need to think about what we're doing, and locking up tires is stupid. Brake little so one can steer the car, if you can't do it then stay home and give me your keys. Idiots shouldn't drive or have kids for that matter.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer