Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (18)

HT- HK 335, Rotel 1075, Miova PC, AQ Indigo Speaker Cable, XLO Jumpers, AQ Diamondback ICs, AQ HDMI x2, AQ Component, Signal Cable Analog II ICs, Signal Cable Digcoax, Signal Cable Toslink, Rti8, Csi5, Rti6, Energy s10.2, Panny 42" Plasma, PS3, Harmony 1100 and Harmony PS3 Adapter, LG dvdp(for the kids), Monster 3600MKII all on a dedicated circuit.

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Slow news day in Canada, eh?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Member Sales Rating: (15)

I think they have it backwards... if anything, that term seems to be less offensive these days, as well have gone out of "style." (Disclaimer, i'm not saying that everyone should use the word because it's awesome.)
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Money For Nothing and just about anything else by Mark Knopfler is what I really crank up to regain an appreciation for how good my speakers sound.
    David

Member Sales Rating: (26)

I don't get it. If you are going to be offended over that word, wouldn't being called gay be the same thing?

It's sad to see that your Country is as dumb as ours when it comes to Mamby Pamby land issues.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

They (radio stations) still play the edited version of "Brown-Eyed Girl" where they cut out the line "Making love in the green grass", so nothing really surprises me anymore.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    I don't get it. If you are going to be offended over that word, wouldn't being called gay be the same thing?
    One is a slur, one is just a term. Not saying I agree with teh censorship, I'm just saying... just like there's a difference between "THE N WORD" and calling someone "black."

Member Sales Rating: (18)

But you can call your ex GF a Bitch or slut .... in a song and that's ok
    HT- HK 335, Rotel 1075, Miova PC, AQ Indigo Speaker Cable, XLO Jumpers, AQ Diamondback ICs, AQ HDMI x2, AQ Component, Signal Cable Analog II ICs, Signal Cable Digcoax, Signal Cable Toslink, Rti8, Csi5, Rti6, Energy s10.2, Panny 42" Plasma, PS3, Harmony 1100 and Harmony PS3 Adapter, LG dvdp(for the kids), Monster 3600MKII all on a dedicated circuit.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

You can call me cracker and a black guy can sing about the "n" word on the radio without being banned or edited, doesn't offend me. Who really cares? It's just a song.

You remember that ol' saying...."Sticks and stones might break some bones but words will never hurt me"? Is anybody really that afraid of getting hurt by a song? What next? Grandma's across the land banning "Grandma got run over by a reindeer"?

Politically Correct BS. Look it up on F1nut's signature. It's about a perfect definition.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

The writers of the song were British... as such it would have been more appropriate for them to use the word "poof" in place of the word that they did use.

If the want to edit it to be non - offensive the could just edit in the word f*****r.

and we could all still sing along

-- wayne --

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Nothing new really. I haven't heard the full version of the song on the radio here either. Even on their greatest hits album they have the edited version. In fact that's the only version I'd ever heard until a couple years back when I bought the Brothers In Arms SACD. I remember hearing the full version for the first time and thinking "Wait, wtf did he just say?". I wasn't offended, just taken back a bit because I'd never heard it before.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I thought the offending word meant 'a bundle of sticks'....huh...silly me...

More and more social thought to 'revisionism' these days - even revising Mark Twain's "Huckleberry Finn" by expunging the offensive 'n' word.

Better hang on to all those LPs, CDs, and SACDs - if you stream your music from a central store it wouldn't surprise me that other material deemed 'offensive' will be subjected to 'revisionism'.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Southern New Jersey, the clean part, where all the manure is...

The writers of the song were British... as such it would have been more appropriate for them to use the word "poof" in place of the word that they did use.
    maybe, but it wouldn't have kept with the cadence of the line. maybe "poofy"

OH MY GOD, he said faggot...

Sometimes people just need to get a freakin life. I absolutely HATE when someone tries to force their perceived values down my throat. Don't like it? don't listen... I don't listen to Boy George...
    I smell ass, burning ass, glowing cherry red spanked ass.

RT1

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    You can call me cracker and a black guy can sing about the "n" word on the radio without being banned or edited, doesn't offend me. Who really cares? It's just a song.

You remember that ol' saying...."Sticks and stones might break some bones but words will never hurt me"? Is anybody really that afraid of getting hurt by a song? What next? Grandma's across the land banning "Grandma got run over by a reindeer"?

Politically Correct BS. Look it up on F1nut's signature. It's about a perfect definition.
    Doesnt' offend me either, and like I said I don't agree with the censorship; someone's offended by everything, it seems, and you can't just ban it because it offends someone. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean they don't have a right to be offended. And as a middle-aged white straight guy, maybe you're not exactly the best judge of how something like that might affect someone.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Perfect example of why you should have physical media in your hands. Books included.
    Must be too much estrogen in the water up there.

Doesn't it refer to a a person riding a really loud bike?
    See Southpark episode on same!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

I haven't ever heard the unedited version apparently, because I never knew the words existed in the song until today. In over the air versions, songs have things taken out all the time. I hear a lot of songs that are toned out or something to eliminate swearing or inappropriate material. Is this a hypersensitive thing for OTA programming? I don't necessarily think so, and that has nothing to do with my being gay.

If any of you can say/think something so idiotic as "I didn't know the word faggot could/would be offensive" you are a complete moron. Is that unclear?

Being called gay isn't offensive any more than you being called straight is (if you REALLY need this explained to you, you're showing post by post how low your intelligence level is).

There is not one way that any of you could ever call me faggot where it wouldn't result in your ass being......beaten......(perhaps on the forum you'd get away with it, but you wouldn't consider it in person).
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Reminds me of whenever I watch movies replayed on cable.

"What the hell are you doing?!"
    "Holy S@#t!"
    "You b!tch!"
    "'Bleep' damnit!"

Any guess as to what word they find more "offensive" than curse words in that example?
    Last edited by Kenneth Swauger; 01-13-2011 at 02:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNightly View Post
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    Quote Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

Blu-Ray player: Samsung BD-P1600
    TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Speaking of songs that may offend people, I keep hearing this song "808" on Georgia State College radio. What is the 8, the 0, and the 8 stand for?

I believe the first 8 is 8 oz. of cush, and the 2nd 8 is the 8 cigarellos he buys from Noah at the Citgo...I may be wrong on the 8's, and what is the 0?
    Home Theater (5.1)
    Optoma HD-25LV PJ
    Pioneer SC-63 AVR
    Pioneer BDP-95F
    Parasound HCA 1205
    Monster 2500 Power
    Polk RTIa9
    Polk CSIa6
    Polk FXIa6
    Polk DSW 600

Music Setup
    Polk LSiM703s
    Music Hall A70.2 Integrated
    Music Hall 25.3 DAC
    Cambridge 640 v2 CDP
    Yamaha T-1 Tuner

3 digits in songs are typically an area cod fad.......808 = hawaii
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

Quote Originally Posted by brettw22 View Post
    3 digits in songs are typically an area cod fad.......808 = hawaii
    Roland 808. It's this old school sampler that all the early rap artists used and you have to pay an arm & leg to get a hold of these days.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Quote Originally Posted by unc2701 View Post
    Roland 808. It's this old school sampler that all the early rap artists used and you have to pay an arm & leg to get a hold of these days.
    This makes sense, as there are a bunch of different sound effects sampled in the song as well. The song had no Hawaiian theme or references, so I'm going with the Roland 808. Thanks for clearing that up....
    Home Theater (5.1)
    Optoma HD-25LV PJ
    Pioneer SC-63 AVR
    Pioneer BDP-95F
    Parasound HCA 1205
    Monster 2500 Power
    Polk RTIa9
    Polk CSIa6
    Polk FXIa6
    Polk DSW 600

Music Setup
    Polk LSiM703s
    Music Hall A70.2 Integrated
    Music Hall 25.3 DAC
    Cambridge 640 v2 CDP
    Yamaha T-1 Tuner

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Guess they will be changing the words to "Pin Ball Wizard" next. Wouldn't want to offend those deaf, dumb and blind kids out there...
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by brettw22 View Post
    I haven't ever heard the unedited version apparently, because I never knew the words existed in the song until today. In over the air versions, songs have things taken out all the time. I hear a lot of songs that are toned out or something to eliminate swearing or inappropriate material. Is this a hypersensitive thing for OTA programming? I don't necessarily think so, and that has nothing to do with my being gay.

If any of you can say/think something so idiotic as "I didn't know the word faggot could/would be offensive" you are a complete moron. Is that unclear?

Being called gay isn't offensive any more than you being called straight is (if you REALLY need this explained to you, you're showing post by post how low your intelligence level is).

There is not one way that any of you could ever call me faggot where it wouldn't result in your ass being......beaten......(perhaps on the forum you'd get away with it, but you wouldn't consider it in person).

Brett, you need to learn how to let things like a word roll off your back.

For example, juju called me a fudge packer here on the forum. Big deal, I look at who said it, laugh and thank God that I'm not him.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    For example, juju called me a fudge packer here on the forum. Big deal, I look at who said it, laugh and thank God that I'm not him.

I did not know you were a Green Bay fan Jesse... Go PACK GO!:tongue:
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

The unedited version of "Money For Nothing" gets played on my local classic rock station all the time....and I am in the San Francisco Bay Area! You'd think someone would've objected by now.

While the word is used in the song, the context in which it is used is sarcastic. The point being the "faggot" is doing better than the redneck who despises "faggot" rock stars who get their money for nothing, while the hard-working redneck gets nothing.

Although I admit "the chicks for free" part does seem counter intuitive. To be honest, when I first looked at the article I thought it would be some women's group complaining about 'chicks'.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    While the word is used in the song, the context in which it is used is sarcastic. The point being the "faggot" is doing better than the redneck who despises "faggot" rock stars who get their money for nothing, while the hard-working redneck gets nothing.
    I was waiting for someone to point this out.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore

seriously... censoring a song from 1985 now???

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainm.../16876566.html

Member Sales Rating: (19)

And up until about half-way through this thread I really thought somebody was offended by "get your chicks for free" and wanted to put a price-tag on them.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Thread Information