Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Default Spare parts for DIY SDA 1.2's or SRS

Ok guys I'm going to need some help. If you guys could keep your eyes open for spare parts for SDA 1.2's, not the TL version, or the SRS that would be great.

For SDA 1.2's I need 4 mw 6503's and 8 mw6511's , the sw150
    For SRS I need 12 6503's, and the sw150

Also crossovers would be nice as well, I decided to include the SRS cause the crossover is cheaper.

If you have any leads on some good deals let me know.
    Which speaker I build will be contingent on what kind of deals I can find.

Thanks guys

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Default DIY SDA

I considered building a pair of SRSs a few years back. I didn't go through with it for the following reasons:

1. The crossovers are no longer available from Polk. You could find comparable (and even better) resistors and capacitors and build a crossover yourself. [b]However,[/b] the heavy inductor coils were made by a company that is no longer in business. I was not able to find comparable inductors anywhere. I could find inductors with the same electrical value, but I could not find inductors with the same size and construction quality.

2. The spacing and arrangement of the drivers and tweeters is critical for proper stereo imaging and time alignment. For example, the stereo drivers are inset farther back into the baffle board than the tweeters. This offsets the common acoustic plane between the tweeters and drivers so that the effective axis of radiation of the speaker is angled in 20 degrees toward the center. This is why the SRSs must not be toed in. It would be very expensive to accurately recreate the SRS cabinets.

3. New cabinets, crossover components, tweeters, and drivers would cost a small fortune. The best option for me was to find a pair on the used market. Finding a used pair is not that difficult. Finding a used pair in good to excellent condition and that is not located on the other side of the country is the trick. Fortunately, my patience was rewarded with a mint pair of SRSs with boxes, papers, and everything. Cost: $1400, including delivery.

If you decide to go through with this let us know how everything turns out.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

"Finding a used pair in good to excellent condition and that is not located on the other side of the country is the trick"

I'm tired of waiting. I've found good used pairs, except nothing in the my state. I bought the only pair of SRS 2.3's ever advertised in the used market in Washington, and now I am waiting...I have been waiting...I'm tired of waiting...

Member Sales Rating: (17)

I would wait.
    As soon as you finish you will find a mint pair next door for half of what you spent. Shipping half way across the country is only $200. That is a lot less than you will have in building them. Just my opinion. (I have some experience in that I paid $2300 for a pair of SDA-SRS for $2300 which I drove for 15 hours to get and found a pair of 1.2's locally for $1500 the next month).
    madmax

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Check out that guy "stubby" who just offered a pair. No affiliation.
    madmax

Thread Information