Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (21)

H9...thanks for your summary....I really did like going to BB and wandering around, picking up dvd cases and reading the ratings (looking for extensive nudity)....but I really like the idea of the dual queues....I can stop renting all of the TV series we like to watch without commercials.

Well, I just picked up the "high end" Roku. Even though I am limited as to the content I can put on the TV, the devices that wirelessly stream everything from a PC/laptop to the TV seem a bit iffy...and more expensive...

So, can you help me out? The ROKU and similar devices are essentially tuned to certain URL's so that you can obtain programming from an Inet source like a wireless router through the "channels" programmed into the box? And they add channels from time to time?

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Tom, I use the HDMI out to my TV and the digital out to my outboard DAC. This way if I want the main rig on for sound for whatever I'm streaming I can go that route or if it's just an old episode of "News Radio" I'm watching I just have the TV speakers on.

I admit I have no idea how other devices stream or what options or level of capabilities they provide. With the Roku streaming device it streams in 1080p (w/the HD version). dkg999 says the audio is excellent in his HT. One thing that does annoy me about the Roku site is they don;t really mention the audio.

Maybe dkg999 can elaborate on the audio capabilites.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

I know I will get all this info when my box arrives in a few days, but do you have to keep your queue full both for mailed and instant stuff using your computer....or can you use the remote and TV to select movies/shows to watch (Roku claims you don't need a computer, which I read is a little off)....

no more questions until I get this set up...thanks for all of the help....

Member Sales Rating: (26)

I always have used the computer. It's convenient, quicker and easier that way for me.

Thanks H9.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

I take that back I use the HDMI out of the Roku into the TV and then the optical out of the TV to my outboard DAC.

Neil, I bought my Roku about a year ago and I see the options have changed as far as the "Channel" store is now available. Not sure how that works but I do know you pay a subscription to the actual "Channel" to view it. Perhaps they send you a password or key to use on-screen. Remember Roku is just the device, you need to deal with all the vendors directly that use Roku.

Does that answer your questions Neil?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Managing both queues on the computer is much easier. Everything in your streaming queue shows up onscreen in the order you have it your queue and you can get a synopsis on screen, etc. I finally arranged my streaming queue in alphabetical order starting with TV series first A-Z and then movies and documentaries A-Z. With approx 121 items in the streaming queue, it made sense. I could have even more but I stopped adding things for awhile.

Neil you'll see how it works once you get it.

Someone else was asking turn time on discs in the mail from Netflix. I mail on Monday receive and email Tuesday they received it and get an email saying they shipped the next one and usually receive it on Wed. I live in IL about 75 miles from the Carol Stream distribution hub.

H9

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Quote Originally Posted by Glowrdr View Post
    So I am looking at setting up a Netflix account either tomorrow or Tuesday. The question that I am curious about is how I should get my Netflix. I'm running an Oppo-93, and will have a networked Panny 50VT20 delivered on Tues.

Does anyone know if there is any difference between units? I'm curious whether it would be better to stream via the BRP, or the TV.... or does it make no difference?
    First off, Id like to say that I can not answer your questions due to not having any experience with your gear. I am also a new Netflix user that signed up about a month or so ago.

I'd like to apologize to you for kinda derailing your thread and getting off the beaten path. I guess that you can say that [from reading the posts in this thread] the video seems to be relatively the same if all of the components are up to par and that there are some differences in the audio end of things.

My bad.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    I take that back I use the HDMI out of the Roku into the TV and then the optical out of the TV to my outboard DAC.

Neil, I bought my Roku about a year ago and I see the options have changed as far as the "Channel" store is now available. Not sure how that works but I do know you pay a subscription to the actual "Channel" to view it. Perhaps they send you a password or key to use on-screen. Remember Roku is just the device, you need to deal with all the vendors directly that use Roku.

Does that answer your questions Neil?

H9
    Pretty much. I read that there is some kind of passcode. For NF, you don't have to pay for any additional subscription above what you have. Not sure about things like MLB....I assume that when you sign up there for getting video content, that covers the right to stream to the Roku.

I really do appreciate the help...saves watching a lot of Youtube videos.

time to go to work....

Since this had been a glowing review of Roku and Netflix I'm going to share a couple annoying things you should be aware of.

1) at times my video drops in quality. I have no idea who is responsible, i suspect my ISP is at fault because, while random, it seems to me I have more issues when they (Comcast) have outlined when their peak time is. I also had a router issue in the beginning that caused this. I have no reason to believe Roku or Netflix is at fault for these glitches, but I can't be 100% sure.

2) at times Netflix will remove items from your streaming queue without notice. They will however usually list as part of the info when you look at your queue on-line how much longer the title will stream. This doesn't happen very often and it usually happens with more obscure titles and especially music selections.

This happened to me when I had the first 4 seasons of "Lost" in my streaming queue and I'm in the middle of the first season and they all disappeared out of my streaming queue. You could still rent the "discs" thru the mail. I was a little pissed. I suspect there was a licensing issue since it was around the Holidays and they were selling the Lost dvd set's at discount for the Holidays. After the Holidays all seasons showed back up in my streaming queue and it kept track of which episode was next.

Again the above doesn't happen too often, but it does happen. Also if something is in your mail queue and becomes available in streaming it tells you when you look at your queue.

H9

Quote Originally Posted by NeilGabriel View Post
    Pretty much. I read that there is some kind of passcode. For NF, you don't have to pay for any additional subscription above what you have. Not sure about things like MLB....I assume that when you sign up there for getting video content, that covers the right to stream to the Roku.

I really do appreciate the help...saves watching a lot of Youtube videos.

time to go to work....
    NF has no add'l fee's other than the monthly fee you pay Netflix.

H9

Member Sales Rating: (19)

I use the Roku optical output to send audio to my B&K AVR. There was recently an update to the Roku software that allows 5.1 multi-channel to be passed from movies that have that available. I've mostly seen the 5.1 multi-channel available from Amazon on-demand movies. For some reason my B&K AVR with it's DSP's seems to really do a good job creating surround audio from the Roku optical digital output when 5.1 is not being passed.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I would simply try both out yourself. Devices will range in UI layout, responsiveness and overall image quality. For example, while the 360 offers a superior UI over the PS3, the 360 is still limited to stereo and 720p video. Whereas with the PS3, it supports 1080p streaming with 5.1 audio.

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Other then that I suggest taking danger boy's advise. You do have up to 6 or 7 streaming devices on one account.
    It is 6 devices as I recently ran out of activations because I had both of my 360s, PS3s, Wii, iPhone, and iPad when I hit the limit and had to deactivate one of my 360s.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection

If you go on to the Netflix site. It shows you the different ways you can stream the benefits.

I believe the PS3 is the only one that offers 7.1 surround.
    ~Dan
    --------

Projector: Epson 705HD on 106" DaLite
    TV: Samsung 50" Plasma PN50B550
    Receiver: Onkyo 607
    Fronts: Polk 1000i
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rears: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne Minivee 10
    PS3 and Xbox

Quote Originally Posted by dvran View Post
    If you go on to the Netflix site. It shows you the different ways you can stream the benefits.

I believe the PS3 is the only one that offers 7.1 surround.
    The PS3 only offers up to 5.1 audio. If Roku does not offer it yet, I see it coming soon, as well as the 360 once they release the Kinect Netflix update.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Subpar compared to what? It's dvd quality and if it's avail in HD then it streams in HD. Perhaps those that want the latest, greatest 7.1 processing, streaming (not just Nexflix) comes up short. The limitation is mostly with the ISP or the streaming device. Roku offers 3 streaming boxes depending on the quality you want.

If you want the best possible sound and Blu-Ray, then streaming isn't for you right now. I admit HT is low on my list compared to my 2ch and I get the exact same quality streaming as I do if I rent a dvd (non Blu-ray) from a B & M store. I listen to movies on my 2 channel rig w/SDA's and frankly it sounds better than great.

Tony, you make it sound like streaming gives you mono, vhs quality, I have the Roku device that streams in 1080p the picture is fantastic as is the sound.

The convenience and choice are off the charts for me. If I ever do the Blu-Ray thing then I may have to find an add'l outlet to get BDR discs.

H9
    Nah, I don't mean to come off as comparing streaming to mono, thats a stretch. I just find it unusual that on an audio/video forum, we spend countless hours debating the tiny tweeks to squeeze out every last drop of performance in our gear, in SQ, only to take 2 steps backwards for the sake of "ease of use". This would be a mute point if we could all stream BR quality in DTS HD master audio, but we can't...yet. I was refering to netflix, I understand other options are out there. You guys remember when MP3's came out ? Sq was crap but ease of use was off the charts. We knocked that format around here like crazy. I guess I'll wait untill all of the good is available in streaming before I take the jump. Thats just me though. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, just was looking for a sensible explanation is all.

Thread Information