Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dr. Spec.

Member Sales Rating: (18)

Default Dr. Spec.

Okay Doc or whoever may know the answer to these questions. As I'm patiently waiting for my PB2+ to get here I'm currently getting prepared for installation of this monster. My question is, (you guys may need to look at my system showcase) as you look at my entertainment center, I'm strongly considering placing the PB2+ sub in the corner to the right of the entertainment center. The way my current setup is with the dual PSW450's I'm pretty sure the PB2+ WILL NOT fit in either place of the 450's due to the massive size of the PB2+. First question is, any idea how far the ports should be from the wall for proper air flow to the PB2+, this may change the placement that I'm interested in. Second question, has anyone in the forum dealt with this Monster Power SW200 surge protector. If I place the PB2+ in the corner I may need to get a longer suwoofer cable, BUT, if I put this surge protector in the mix I will not need to purchase a longer sub cable do to the fact that it has a protected in/out for the subwoofer cables. If I'm not making any sence of what I just said I'll place the link at the end of this message. I guess the reason I'm asking about this surge protector is if I'm going from the Receivers SUB OUT, to the LINE IN on the protector, then LINE OUT to the SUB IN, is there a chance I could possibly have any signal loss. Just trying to make sure I get the ABSOLUTE BEST signal to this sub. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Here's the link.

http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...r.asp?pin=1218
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
    "My Theater Room"

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Grimster,

Nice set up! I can't answer your sub questions but looking at your system I couldn't help but notice that you have the front of your RTi70's behind your entertainment unit. If you don't mind me making a suggestion... Pull them out so the front of the speaker is IN FRONT of your entertainment unit. gettiing those tweeters away from that reflected surface will greatly inmprive your imagaing and sound stage. I'd jsut pull them out so they're about 4 to 6 inches in front of the unit.

just my .02
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Good eye, agreed!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

I will certainly do that tonight. Once I get the PSW450's out of the way I'm also going to move the RTi70's away from the entertainment center about 6" to a foot. Do you guys think that will help any also.
    Thanks for the advice.
    "My Theater Room"

Any time you move speakers away from a boundary you will see an improvement. speakers need to "breathe" to sound their best. I have my speakers about 4 feet from the back wall and about 5 feet from any side walls. if there wasn't a big 36" tv in my living room I'd be even happier with the sound.

I'm not sure where the ports are on the 70's but if they are rear ported getting them away from the back wall will tighten up the bass. You may lose some bass response but that shouldn't be a problem since you have a PB2+ on the way! you lucky dog! :D
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15

The 70's are power ported from the bottom if that helps any.
    "My Theater Room"

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Great idea to move the 70's out into the open. Any tower will sound best without reflective surfaces nearby.

The PB2+ is "only" 18" wide, and is designed to sneak into a fairly narrow spot. The real size is the height (25"), and the depth (28").

I have two bits of advice. The PB2+ is powerful enough, even on a concrete floor, to blur the image on an HDTV screen if it is too close. The air pressure will not only rattle the protective screen, but the actual projection screen itself. Mine is too close to the HDTV and it actually creased my screen and it needs to be replaced under extended warranty.

Second, the ports need about 8-10" of space to breathe if they will be facing a wall. Mine has already rattled the drywall panels loose in that corner and I had to go behind the wall and drive shims between the studs and the drywall to tighten it up. Thankfully the wall behind the sub is open in the basement. The drywall was rattling like a bastard after a while.

The PB2+ is very, VERY powerful and moves a ****load of air. Unless you want to feel like you are taking off in a space shuttle, don't lie on the sub and hang your head back there near the ports while making adjustments to the amp controls while it is running hard - because those huge bark holes will literally flatten your eyeballs and squash your cheeks.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Relations
    Specialty Technologies
    SVSound

I have two bits of advice. The PB2+ is powerful enough, even on a concrete floor, to blur the image on an HDTV screen if it is too close. The air pressure will not only rattle the protective screen, but the actual projection screen itself. Mine is too close to the HDTV and it actually creased my screen and it needs to be replaced under extended warranty.

Damum, what did I get myself into....:D
    "My Theater Room"

So, what I'm gathering from Dr. Specs responce is I may want to find some other place to place the PB2+ instead of the corner. Need more input....
    "My Theater Room"

I'd put it in the left corner where the file cabinets are... you then could try turning the sub 90 degrees in each direction to see which way the ports work best. It also looks like you'll have some room to move it in and out of the corner for different freq. responses.

I need to stop replying to this thread thinking about that beast of a sub is making me jealous!

Oh yeah Dr. Spec., what would be considered to close to the television.
    "My Theater Room"

Member Sales Rating: (1)

On a concrete floor at least a foot away. On a wooden floor, several feet unless you isolate with a concrete paver or slate.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Relations
    Specialty Technologies
    SVSound

Thread Information