Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Cool Just bought a new system, tips welcome

So my new plasma was feeling lonely so I bought it some friends...

• Onkyo TX-SR608
    • Monitor 70
    • CS2
    • PSW505
    • RC60i
    Yes, all from newegg

My room is 18'x24' with a 9' ceiling.
    The sub will be going in a rear corner and the rear surrounds will be in the ceiling.
    I'll also have the M70's running bi-wired.

Other then that I have no other ideas... do you guys have any pointers?

Thanks!
    Brian
    Last edited by inthewoods; 01-27-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Never mind the bi-wired... I already seen the post on the 608 and it's power. ;)
    I have 30 day's to change my mind on the 608 if needed...

Member Sales Rating: (12)

My first receiver was an Onkyo 606. VERY similar to the 608 in most areas. I really regretted buying it because it did not have preout outputs, so if I wanted to add external amplification, I could not. I ended up selling it and purchasing an AVR that did. You may not ever feel the need to upgrade anythign, and may live your days in bliss with the current setup because it is nice, but if you think you may, at some point want to upgrade your speakers, or provide your current speakers more power, than I'd suggest upgrading your AVR. I believe the Onkyo 7xx series has preouts, as do many other brands within the same price range.

Welcome to Club Polk.

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player

Yeah I don't know about the 608... I only plan on using this mainly for home theater at 5.1.
    I don't have a desire to mess with 7.1. or adding more amps.
    If the M70's sound good then I "hope" I'll be fine.

I have to agree with Pycroft as I did the same thing. My first AVR had no Preouts and I wasn't even thinking about that feature when I went looking for a Receiver...I was looking more at price. But guess what,i wanted more power to get better performance out of my speakers, so I just bought a more powerful and expensive AVR...with Preouts. Things are much better now, but if I get the bug for more power I just have to add an Amp.
    Last edited by larry777; 01-31-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

+1 on James and Larry's posts. The Onkyo 600 series, can however, run that system for HT in a small to mid-sized room with no problem. The M70s are pretty efficient. The Onkyo has decent power reserves for a mid-fi entry AVR! The M70s only benefit from more power in two channel performance IMHO...and that means 'musically'. For HT you're OK for now! But it never hurts to think about 'where you might want to be in a few years?'

cnh

Thanks for the comments guys... My speakers are out for delivery today, but the receiver is stuck somewhere due to weather.

Regarding the receiver I'm going to keep it for now only because I'll lose $90 just to return the thing to newegg.

Other than that I'll post some pictures and room dimensions so I can get some pointers.

Thanks!

You'll be happy with what the 608 can do with the Monitor series of speakers. I have the RT line and they sound awesome. Don't listen to these guys.

In 5-10 years when the 608 is outdated, get one with preamps. Right now the Monitors are a very efficient speaker and should pair up nice.

Just make sure to run the Audyssey setup correctly. I have the 607 and it's awesome for home theatre.
    ~Dan
    --------

Projector: Epson 705HD on 106" DaLite
    TV: Samsung 50" Plasma PN50B550
    Receiver: Onkyo 607
    Fronts: Polk 1000i
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rears: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne Minivee 10
    PS3 and Xbox

The speakers arrived yesterday and they look gorgeous! The 608 arrived today so when I get home it's wiring time... Is 16 gauge wire okay for fronts? The longest run will be approx 6'.

It's all hooked up! Ran Audyssey and it gave my system a nice starting point. I still have a lot of little tweaks to get they system where I want, but overall I think the 608 will do well.

Default Pics!

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Nice!!

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Now that is one comfy looking living room. Take those speakers and pull them away from the wall a little and away from the sides of the entertainment center
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Thanks!

Tonight we did our first movie night! We moved the little blue couch (on the left) to the sweet spot in the room and turned up the system. It was AWESOME!! Shrek The Third and Toy Story 3 really worked the sub and it hits low!

My only complaint is what mode to put the system in... way too many choices! We watched Shrek in 3.1 until I noticed the problem while adjusting the center volume for Toy Story.

I'll look at moving the fronts once I order some more wire from monoprice and we stop using the wood stove.
    Last edited by inthewoods; 02-04-2011 at 02:59 AM.

Thread Information