Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Oppo bdp-95

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Default Oppo bdp-95

Is this the one you have been waiting for?

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-95/

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I might have to buy one just as a combination SACD and BluRay music player for the two-channel system. On one hand I love my Sony XA5400ES SACD, but it is a one trick pony.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

i wonder though.. why Oppo still keeps the support for playing DVD-Audio discs in their players? SACD i can see.. as it succeeded and DVD-Audio really didn't. maybe including it, doesn't really add much to the $ by keeping it in.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Quote Originally Posted by danger boy View Post
    i wonder though.. why Oppo still keeps the support for playing DVD-Audio discs in their players? SACD i can see.. as it succeeded and DVD-Audio really didn't. maybe including it, doesn't really add much to the $ by keeping it in.
    I think the money it costs to include it is minimal and it wouldndt truly be an universal player if they didnt have it as an option, I only own a handfull of DVD Audio albums but I do enjoy listening to them and would hate to have to use another player to do so.

The beauty of this player is that it appears to be the best of both worlds not only does it have stellar video but it is geared to audiophiles.

The one thing I would like to see is a slow down in new formats offered both in video and audio like 3D for example give the current ones a chance to get perfected. I just bought a new TV the other day a Sony KDL-46EX711 and noticed the 3D sets were allready on the floors at an exorbiant price IMHO at this time with little offered movie wise I though what a waste of funds just to watch a handfull of movies.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by snow View Post

REGARDS SNOW
    I already ordered it via Oppo's early release program. Est Ship Date: 2/1 thru 2/4.
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000

Member Sales Rating: (1)

the 3D sets were allready on the floors at an exorbiant price IMHO at this time with little offered movie wise

I've heard this is kind of the "which came first, the chicken or the egg" effect. Movie pruducers/studios don't want to spend more on 3D stuff since nobody has a 3D TV. People don't want to buy a 3D TV since there are no movies for them. Eventually someone has to give, and then we will all win.

I doubt that 3D is going to be a fad, I think it's here to stay whether we like it or not. I just bought a 3D TV on sale last week. I would never have just upgraded my TV for 3D, but as long as I was buying, I like to stay current.

That new Oppo does look pretty sweet though. It's weird how fast your priorities change. I had a tought time accepting the fact that I was buying the $500 Oppo-93, now that the 95 is coming out - I'm tempted to sell mine and get this. lol
    50" Panasonic Vierra TC-P50VT20 (w/5 pairs glasses)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"

does the oppo 93/95 have that much significant picture quality over a cheaper blu-ray player.I just use mine for movie watching and was wondering if it's worth spending the extra coin
    Yamaha rx-a2000 AVR
    Polk csi5 Center
    Polk rt16 Main
    Polk fxia6 Rear Surround
    Paradigm Micro Rear Back
    Onkyo bookshelf Front Presence (for now)
    PSW 450 Front Sub
    DSW MicroPro 4000 Front Sub
    DSW MicroPro 2000 Rear Sub
    Samsung c6300 60 inch LED
    Sony BDPs370
    Room Size 15x30

Member Sales Rating: (17)

North Victoria Gardens, Altacucawanda, California

that's look great, but I have no horse in this race anymore, having spent my money on Modwright Oppo BDP-83 last year. The only features on 95 that to be coveted for me is the toroidal PS. But Dan Wright took care of that already.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder01 View Post
    does the oppo 93/95 have that much significant picture quality over a cheaper blu-ray player.I just use mine for movie watching and was wondering if it's worth spending the extra coin
    I'll tell ya my personal experience: my first BD player is a Panasonic DMP-BD35K, then I moved up to the Oppo BDP-83, upgraded it to BDP-83SE, sold that and currently use a BDP-93, is trying to sell it since I already bought the BDP-95. That means I've gone through all Oppo BD players, and the BDP-93 video output beat the hell out of the BDP-83 (http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...59#post1471759). I was so excited with it that a month ago I brought it to my uncle's home who was running a Samsung bluray player BD-P1600. We did an A/B comparison which convinced him more than enough to go ahead and placed an order for the BDP-93 right at that point. That's how great the Oppo BDP-93's video output is.
    If you decide to go with the BDP-93, look in our Flea Market, I got one listed there

Quote Originally Posted by Glowrdr View Post
    That new Oppo does look pretty sweet though. It's weird how fast your priorities change. I had a tought time accepting the fact that I was buying the $500 Oppo-93, now that the 95 is coming out - I'm tempted to sell mine and get this. lol
    If you don't do 2-channel or utilize the 7.1-channel analog output, which means you simply use the HDMI connection for both audio/video, you won't need to upgrade at all. The reason I am upgrading to the BDP-95 is because I run 2-channel in my Zone2, and the BDP-93 isn't adequate.
    Currently whenever I want to ask the BDP-93 to output audio signal to Zone2 2-channel, I have to go into its Audio Processing menu to downmix the output to "Stereo", and I mean each and every time, not just one and done. That little issue made me miss my Oppo BDP-83SE so much, but now that the BDP-95 came out, I would be happy again
    Last edited by DMara; 01-28-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:

Member Sales Rating: (5)

DMara, let us know how the 95 compares to the 83SE in SQ. Looking at the specs, other than balanced output and the 93 base unit, I didn't see much to excite me. I've been more than satisfied with my 83SE for both 2 channel and MCH over analog.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
    DMara, let us know how the 95 compares to the 83SE in SQ. Looking at the specs, other than balanced output and the 93 base unit, I didn't see much to excite me. I've been more than satisfied with my 83SE for both 2 channel and MCH over analog.
    Besides the balanced output add-in, the 95 includes two ESS ES9018 DAC chips for its dedicated 2-channel output as well as its 7.1-channel output while the 83SE runs two ESS ES9006 DAC chips. I don't remember if the old 83SE got toroidal power supply like the new 95 or not. But that's about it.
    The main reason I let go of my 83SE and 93 was to move up to 3D video while still able to enjoy decent 2-channel audio. The new 95 fits that purpose completely. I'll report back once it got to my AV cabinet

Living room:
    Bedroom:
    Other rooms:

Dmara, my sony blu-ray runs through my yammy rxa2000 via hdmi which has a video chip. Would that take away from the video quality of the oppo
    Yamaha rx-a2000 AVR
    Polk csi5 Center
    Polk rt16 Main
    Polk fxia6 Rear Surround
    Paradigm Micro Rear Back
    Onkyo bookshelf Front Presence (for now)
    PSW 450 Front Sub
    DSW MicroPro 4000 Front Sub
    DSW MicroPro 2000 Rear Sub
    Samsung c6300 60 inch LED
    Sony BDPs370
    Room Size 15x30

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder01 View Post
    Dmara, my sony blu-ray runs through my yammy rxa2000 via hdmi which has a video chip. Would that take away from the video quality of the oppo
    For Blu-Ray? The Oppo or the Yamaha shouldn't change the signal at all, just pass it on to the TV through HDMI. No upscaling needed. The Oppo's are known for their superior DVD upscaling, just set the Yamaha to pass through.

Quote Originally Posted by DMara View Post
    Besides the balanced output add-in, the 95 includes two ESS ES9018 DAC chips for its dedicated 2-channel output as well as its 7.1-channel output while the 83SE runs two ESS ES9006 DAC chips. I don't remember if the old 83SE got toroidal power supply like the new 95 or not. But that's about it.
    The main reason I let go of my 83SE and 93 was to move up to 3D video while still able to enjoy decent 2-channel audio. The new 95 fits that purpose completely. I'll report back once it got to my AV cabinet

The 95 looks very Impressive, I wonder how the Balanced outs compare to my
    Esoteric DV-50 on SACD. I know that the Video will smoke my Pany DMP-BD85K.
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Very nice looking unit. I'd love to buy one myself.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

I have a question for the experts. I have a Bryston BDA-1 DAC, and it will decode files up to 24/192K. Will I be able to play Bluray stereo over the digital link to the DAC, or am I limited to the analog out? I am looking at my Tom Petty music only Bluray disk, Mojo, and it says the stereo version is 24/48K, and has 256 times the resolution of a CD. I hope I can get that over digital.

My guess/hope is the Bluray music disks will have both PCM for stereo and the DTS-HD for the surround. Which is fine as long as I can get the LPCM over the SPDIF digital link.

Default Oppo BDP-95

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
    it would "excite me" if the Audio is better than the 93,for that price ($1000).I would use this like a stand alone,CD player.
    PolkAudioClyde

Quote Originally Posted by PolkClyde View Post
    it would "excite me" if the Audio is better than the 93,for that price ($1000).I would use this like a stand alone,CD player.
    It should since the whole point of the 95 is a redone and enhanced analog section.

[QUOTE=DMara;1515783]I'll tell ya my personal experience: my first BD player is a Panasonic DMP-BD35K, then I moved up to the Oppo BDP-83, upgraded it to BDP-83SE, sold that and currently use a BDP-93, is trying to sell it since I already bought the BDP-95. That means I've gone through all Oppo BD players, and the BDP-93 video output beat the hell out of the BDP-83 ([url]http://www.polkaudio.com/forums

Oh thanks..just when I spent $$$ on new speakers and was happy with my BDP-83, you had to say this.

"Honey, the DVD isn't working right, where's the checkbook?..."

I signed up for preorder. That baby deserves to be paired up with a good PJ.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post
    I signed up for preorder. That baby deserves to be paired up with a good PJ.
    Somehow the first time I read the line, it appeared as "BJ", almost fell out of my chair
    Living room:
    Bedroom:
    Other rooms:

Al, are you assuming that everyone who bought DVD-As have tossed/sold them? I know I haven't tossed mine.

Now if I had a tv that could take advantage of the BR, I would definately consider buying this machine since It would have the ability to play all of my old & new media.

Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

I just added one to cart and shipping to FPO AP came up to a tad over $1k. Hmmmm saving more pennies, this is due for release this month. I currently have the 83, any significant improvement gents? I skipped on my offer for the 93. Suppose I could sell my mint 83 for $250 or so and upgrade? Worth it?

sherardp,

if you let go of the 83, i will take it. please consider me the first in line.

ed.

will pm you

sorry op about invading your thread
    HT:
    POLK AUDIO RTI4 FRONTS
    CSI3 CENTER
    DEF TECH PROMONITOR800 SURROUNDS
    PSW 125 SUB
    PIONEER ELITE AVR23TXH AVR
    APPLE TV 160GB
    PANASONIC BLURAY PLAYER
    50" PANASONIC PLASMA TCP50C2

2 CHANNEL:
    KEF R300 THREE WAY BOOKSHELF GLOSS PIANO BLACK
    ROTEL RC 990BX PRE
    ROTEL RB 990BX AMP
    OPPO DV980 (AS CD PLAYER)
    PIONEER PL100 TURNTABLE WITH SHURE MX97E CART
    MIT EXP2 SPEAKER CABLES

Member Sales Rating: (17)

North Victoria Gardens, Altacucawanda, California

I just added one to cart and shipping to FPO AP came up to a tad over $1k. Hmmmm saving more pennies, this is due for release this month. I currently have the 83, any significant improvement gents? I skipped on my offer for the 93. Suppose I could sell my mint 83 for $250 or so and upgrade? Worth it?
    Here is a good reading, Sherardp, comparison of 83SE/93/95.

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...topic=90835.60

IMHO you should skipped 93 for sure. I have a Modwright 83 and will skip 95/95. I am still stoked with my 83, on Analog, it's very tubey-like.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

I just added one to cart and shipping to FPO AP came up to a tad over $1k.
    Are you saying it costs over a $1K dollar to ship? Or the total price is over a $1K? That would make sense since its MSRP is $999.

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Quote Originally Posted by polkatese View Post
    Here is a good reading, Sherardp, comparison of 83SE/93/95.

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...topic=90835.60

IMHO you should skipped 93 for sure. I have a Modwright 83 and will skip 95/95. I am still stoked with my 83, on Analog, it's very tubey-like.

Played around with my 93 and found it to be a much better player over hdmi. The analog outs sounded a bit bright IMO. Also for streaming my ps3 does a much better job. Netflix is much better thru my ps3 and it has Vudu which has the best SQ and PQ out there.
    Last edited by leroyjr1; 03-06-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Default The wait is OVER

I got and Love it.The say it will get better wi
    th Break in,what do you say?

REGARDS SNOW
    I bought it and Love it.The say it will get better with Break in,what do you say?
    PolkAudioClyde

HDCD IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN SACD,in my opinion.
    PolkAudioClyde

Default I bought a 3D TV DLP two years ago.Therefore, I'm ready,been ready.

I think the money it costs to include it is minimal and it wouldndt truly be an universal player if they didnt have it as an option, I only own a handfull of DVD Audio albums but I do enjoy listening to them and would hate to have to use another player to do so.

The beauty of this player is that it appears to be the best of both worlds not only does it have stellar video but it is geared to audiophiles.

The one thing I would like to see is a slow down in new formats offered both in video and audio like 3D for example give the current ones a chance to get perfected. I just bought a new TV the other day a Sony KDL-46EX711 and noticed the 3D sets were allready on the floors at an exorbiant price IMHO at this time with little offered movie wise I though what a waste of funds just to watch a handfull of movies.

REGARDS SNOW
    for a small amount you would pay for a LED,LCD... Fully 3D
    PolkAudioClyde

Thread Information