Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Oppo bdp-95

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default we got to debate this @vc69

Quote Originally Posted by vc69 View Post
    You are dreaming.

Man, I love my Oppo, but that McIntosh player is in another league altogether. The transport and analog section of the Oppo could be greatly improved upon. I think it's a great player at it's price point. In fact I think it's value is unsurpassed. But it ain't no giant killer.
    it's simple,the oppo has the same dac,that McIntosh have,at least in that area they are equal...do a blind test and you couldn't tell the difference.
    PolkAudioClyde

Quote Originally Posted by PolkClyde View Post
    it's simple,the oppo has the same dac,that McIntosh have,at least in that area they are equal...do a blind test and you couldn't tell the difference.
    The DAC, while important, is only a small part of the system. How jitter free is the transport? How regulated is the power supply? How heavy is the chassis? How good is the analog section? How good are the connectors? There are beaucoup things that can affect the final sound.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Nothing in this hobby is simple. But if simple mindedness is what you are about then you win. I won't debate this with you except to say that everything matters and where digital sources are concerned, DAC's are only a third of the total equation (and I'm being generous). Analog section and transport mechanism have a role in the overall sound and that is where the Oppo falls short. Believe me when I say I could most definitely hear a difference in a blind comparison. I have an ARC CD3 that absolutely smokes my Oppo with redbook audio. SACD is a different story, the ARC does not do SACD.
    -Kevin
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)

Polk LS 90's - Front
    Polk CS350 LS - Center
    Polk Monitor 50's - Rear
    JBL Northridge E150P - Sub

2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    Polk LS90's (spiked & tweeked)
    Cardas IC's
    Cardas Bi-Wire

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I understand the Oppo 'luv' alot folks have (still have and 'luv' my 83).

I applaud their willingness to put time and effort into a player with better analog performance.

The buzz is that it offers very good performance at its price point.

But after that - I wouldn't make any generalizations.

Any comparisons need to be player vs player - not DAC vs DAC or RCA vs XLR or anything else that does not include the whole player as a unit.

And even then it should still come down to each person deciding for themselves in their rig what they like better.

I'm tempted to give the 95 a try myself. If it is better, then I could turn some components and come out ahead!

But...I'll let my own ears decide.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Nothing in this hobby is simple. But if simple mindedness is what you are about then you win. I won't debate this with you except to say that everything matters and where digital sources are concerned, DAC's are only a third of the total equation (and I'm being generous). Analog section and transport mechanism have a role in the overall sound and that is where the Oppo falls short. Believe me when I say I could most definitely hear a difference in a blind comparison. I have an ARC CD3 that absolutely smokes my Oppo with redbook audio. SACD is a different story, the ARC does not do SACD.
    Amen vc69
    PolkAudioClyde

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    The DAC, while important, is only a small part of the system. How jitter free is the transport? How regulated is the power supply? How heavy is the chassis? How good is the analog section? How good are the connectors? There are beaucoup things that can affect the final sound.
    Amen to that also... I'm learning.
    PolkAudioClyde

Mr. Vc69, I wasn't serious about the debate,you guys were audiofiles long before me,I believe.how this got started, someone ask is the oppo 95 worth $1000 and then I made a comparison to the $10,000 McIntosh,CD player, that has the same dac.but hey,I agree with most of what you and blue fox said.You have to take in consideration every thing involve with SQ, the transport,cables(MIT YEA) and so on.but Vc69,I wish I could witness that blind test.maybe one day it will come to pass. I would buy you a MIT cable or something(no I won't),haha,do you drink? :),if you made the right choice in the blind test. Enjoy the music, Brother.
    Last edited by PolkClyde; 03-09-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    PolkAudioClyde

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I believe you could tell the difference as well. It's not subtle once you know how to listen for such things.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

I agree to your opinion, vc69. However you left an important part out: the price tag of the McIntosh CD player reached $10,000 also due to the name brand recognition. I heard Lexicon was able to put its name on the Oppo BDP-83 machine & sold it for over $3,000.
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000

We are talking about CD Players and Blu-ray Players.but, do you guys like the sound of Vinyl? that's what I'm listening to at the moment. I think Vinyl(SQ) wins out over a lot of CD'S
    PolkAudioClyde

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Talking

We are talking about CD Players and Blu-ray Players.but, do you guys like the sound of Vinyl? that's what I'm listening to at the moment. I think Vinyl(SQ) wins out over a lot of CD'S
    What does that have to do with the Oppo BDP-95? :tongue: Why don't you open another thread?
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000

Quote Originally Posted by DMara View Post
    What does that have to do with the Oppo BDP-95? :tongue: Why don't you open another thread?
    I did say,I know we are talking about Cd players and Blu-ray player, Oppo BDP-95.I thought by that statement it showed that I was changing the subject more towards Sound quality, Mr. DMara. :) That's all. you are right, when changing a subject start a new thread.Maybe I should have started my statement by saying, like me digress(lose clarity or turn aside especially from the main subject of attention or course of argument in writing, thinking, or speaking;) from the 0ppo BDP-95
    Last edited by PolkClyde; 03-09-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    PolkAudioClyde

HDCD IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN SACD,in my opinion.
    I am reading this thread with interest because my 95 arrives today. I will be using it with a Wyred4Sound DAC-1 for CD playback, with separate ICs to the preamp for SACD and HDCD playback. Your impressions mirror mine. I've consistently heard better sound from my HDCDs than my SACDs. In fact, it is clear to me that many SACDs are no more than repackaged CDs with minimal, if any, remastering done.

@asindc,I still feel the same...
    PolkAudioClyde

Thread Information