Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Default ROKU and HDMI splitter

The TV on which I am using the ROKU HD model has only 1 HDMI input.

I can get a splitter, but won't there be a problem since the ROKU is always on and will confict with another HDMI source (DVD) (I guess I could unplug ROKU, but not sure what that does about it having to reboot everytime)? Most of the splitter/selectors, I am looking at, have auto switching....and with the ROKU being always on, it will always want to send a signal

I am hoping there is an HDMI splitter (like a USB hub) but where you can select the HDMI source that you want to go into the TV.....this sound right?

I wouldn't mind switching the hDMI inputs by hand, but the HDMI input on the TV is hard to get to...so, I am guessing that there might be some kind of pigtail thing that will make it easier to plug the HDMI in?
    Last edited by NeilGabriel; 01-29-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Neil, HDMI switch will work just fine. You do loose me on worrying about shuting down the Roku. Its just one of many sources like a cable box or BRP.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Just get a switch. It will allow you to add more devices in the future.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I assume there is no reciever in the setup that could do the switching for you?

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

ok, I reread youir post.

The switch like William linked above is what you need.

Feed your sources like to Roku to HDMI in and the HDMI out to TV.

They will auto select but also have a remote to allow you to select different inputs.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (0)

If you're looking for a solution without any electronic/handshaking stuff in the way, monoprice also sells a 2x1 push button manual switch that physically clicks between inputs. It's oldschool, but as close to manually plugging and unplugging the cables as possible because it's not repeating/amplifying or changing the signal in anyway.

My concern and I read on article on this that auto switching can be an issue if one of your sources is always on (like ROKU or maybe a cable TV box). Thus, when you try to send a DVD source to the TV through the selector, the ROKU also will go because it is always sending out a signal.

I did find manual switching where you have to push the button to switch and the always on apparently can be "blocked."

But, I also read that auto switching might work where the most recently turned on source is the one that is played...for example, the ROKU always on box will be overridden if you then turn on a DVD...is this right?

thanks...I have found a number of switches...I'll check the onopriceof auto switching is not an option....

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilGabriel View Post
    I did find manual switching where you have to push the button to switch and the always on apparently can be "blocked."
    With the 2x1 monoprice switch, you aren't really blocking the second signal, you are manually disconnecting it. It really is like taking one cable out and plugging another in but with the convenience of pushing a button.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamM2 View Post
    Just get a switch. It will allow you to add more devices in the future.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I assume there is no reciever in the setup that could do the switching for you?

This looks to be exactly what I need...I can even add the cable tv to the HDM input instead of using component....the switching appears manual with toggle on switcher or with remote...I'll order one..

sort of an aside...the ROKU has a component out that is one jack and they show a compoennt cabe with the red/green/blue all on one 3 banded male 3.5mm plug...I assume the other end has the 3 separate plugs...I have never seen this 3 in 1 approach (by the way...the ROKU really works great)

No receiver....thanks for the help...I have really old fashion switches for audio sources so you can run pair of speakers from 2 different sources.

Thread Information