Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Thiele and Small Parameters needed!

I have a few Polk MW1200 woofers that I want to build boxes for. They come out the Polk PSW1200 home audio subwoofer cabinet. I cant seem to obtain any thiele and small parameters for them. Can anyone help?

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Nope, that is proprietary info.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Polk likely did their homework. Unless you want to re-tune the box, you probably could build to the same volume and port.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade)
    Parasound: C/PT-600, HCA-800II; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i

HT:
    Denon AVR-888, Polk: RM7, PSW10, Marantz UD5005, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, DRA-825R, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S8, Monitor 5A, TSi100; Pioneer CT-6R, PL-530; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz PM5004, CD5004

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Nope, that is proprietary info.
    Propriety info?? They're just thiele and small parameters, not engineering specs on how to build an out dated woofer.

I purchased just the woofer alone, so I don't have box dimensions. Besides, they are going into a car so the home theater box specs wont work. All that will tell me is where they tuned the box itself to.

In that case, may I suggest that you should have purchased a sub built for a car and yeah, it's propriety info.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Buy a woofer tester from Partsexpress.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by mpunklil View Post
    Propriety info?? They're just thiele and small parameters, not engineering specs on how to build an out dated woofer.

I purchased just the woofer alone, so I don't have box dimensions. Besides, they are going into a car so the home theater box specs wont work. All that will tell me is where they tuned the box itself to.
    It's bloody Theile/Small. Not theile and small.

And no, Polk doesn't publish the raw data on their drivers. But for giggles, you can try their customer support. If anyone has it, it'll be them.
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

SDA Recommended Playlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc

Open for editing.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Don't expect T/S parameters. It won't hurt to try, I mean whats the worst they could say; No?

Try to figure it out yourself per Ben's suggestion if you're so inclined, otherwise purchase a car subwoofer....because afterall they're made for your car.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Not going to happen. As mentioned, buy a woofer tester, build a box similar to the PSW1000, or build a large, well damped, sealed box. Have fun with it, it's a solid driver!

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

WAY too much negativity on this forum over some stupid parameters that aren't rocket science. It's not giving away anything, just some specifications of the woofer. Any good manufacturer would offer them. Customer service said they were too old, which sounds like a bunch of crap...the engineer was just too lazy. Theile and Small or Theile/Small, who cares...you understood what I was asking for, so get the stick out of your ass. Polk blows for the most part anyways, just got a smokin deal on some cheap woofers and wanted to do something with them.

Quote Originally Posted by RuSsMaN View Post
    Not going to happen. As mentioned, buy a woofer tester, build a box similar to the PSW1000, or build a large, well damped, sealed box. Have fun with it, it's a solid driver!

Cheers,
    Russ
    Yeah I probably will go that route, especially since this wont be the first time I'm going to use it. It definitely is a decent driver.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    In that case, may I suggest that you should have purchased a sub built for a car and yeah, it's propriety info.
    The sub "built for my car" was an 8" Bose with 25 watts thrown at it...thanks for the suggestion douche. Maybe someday when I'm as cool as you I will be able to reveal propriety FBI info to you about my cars secret stereo system

You have a Bose sub and you're calling me a douche!?!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Bye-bye.

Someone has some serious, deep-seeded issues.

Go buy yourself a car sub, end of story.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The sub "built for my car" was an 8" Bose with 25 watts thrown at it...

oh man, that is classic! You actually say that Polk blows for the most part anyways, but then turn around and boast about having a Bose subwoofer? I would not admit to that if I were you.
    --Gary--

wow, you guys are a retarded. im replacing it w/ the polk subs

Hey if we are retarded why don't you go find another sand box to play in?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

You're right...I guess I'll just toss them in a prefab 2 cu.ft. box thats tuned to 60hz, and have a nice sloppy bass like the kind you have in your living room. Then I'll invite all my buddies over and show them what a REAL stereo sounds like as my voicecoil is slapping the magnet like I bent your sister over. Let me guess, not a single one of you have even built a proper box...and if you did, you probably tuned it to the flattest response you could, without any consideration of ambient acoustics. Great job guys, thanks for the specs on one of Polk's most common subwoofers...I'm glad I came to the Polk forum to obtain technical info on a Polk woofer!! You guy's are worthless.

I don't have a sister
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

Maybe we can all chip in for a good old fashioned dictionary for the kid, so he can look up the word "proprietary". Are schools this bad these days ?

I'll say hi, then bye. You're gone buddy.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Lol...if he only knew the caliber of some of the systems belonging to members here for both home and car.

It's a sin to even mention BOSE around here.

I'll grab the pop corn for this one. I'm sure whatever he has in his car is mediocre at best. I love my mobile 2CH
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

Oh to be a teenager and know everything. I wonder if he has experience from his own sister?
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Hate to be a stickler, but it's "proprietary".

Mpunklil...coincidence? You're on the short path to bannsville.
    Last edited by steveinaz; 02-09-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by mpunklil View Post
    You're right...I guess I'll just toss them in a prefab 2 cu.ft. box thats tuned to 60hz, and have a nice sloppy bass like the kind you have in your living room. Then I'll invite all my buddies over and show them what a REAL stereo sounds like as my voicecoil is slapping the magnet like I bent your sister over. Let me guess, not a single one of you have even built a proper box...and if you did, you probably tuned it to the flattest response you could, without any consideration of ambient acoustics. Great job guys, thanks for the specs on one of Polk's most common subwoofers...I'm glad I came to the Polk forum to obtain technical info on a Polk woofer!! You guy's are worthless.
    Wow... and you aren't banned yet? Anywho, polk does not publish T/S specs on their drivers that aren't sold as drivers. If you want a polk sub that they do publish T/S parameters for, you're going to have to buy a driver that is sold as a stand alone driver. Like the car subs that they sell, and that they publish the T/S parameters for.

But I don't know of any speaker manufacturer that publishes T/S parameters for drivers that are not sold individually, but only in enclosures.
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

SDA Recommended Playlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc

Open for editing.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Maybe he's from China and not familiar with the phrase "intellectual property?"

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Think I am gonna call the douche bags at NASA. I'm a little pissed that they won't tell me how they make their rocket fuel.

I mean, how do they expect us to make our own if they won't publish the ingredients?
    --Gary--

I have seen some rude responses at forums, but seriously guys? He wasn't even being the least bit rude/ignorant. I have the same drivers. There is a person on ebay that sells them very cheap, and they're basically the old db car subs with the impossible to break dustcaps. It's an excellent subwoofer, especially for the price.

I'm glad I didn't ask any of you for help. I was just about to until I saw this grandiose display of ignorance/intolerance. You can continue feeling all high and mighty because you gave someone a hard time for no reason. Yay internet

In response to the OP, the seller on ebay suggests .6-1.25 cu ft. sealed, and 1-2cu ft vented. I know...that's pretty typical and broad. It's the only info I have found though. I have 2-1.25cu ft sealed boxes I will probably try them out in soon. I can always make smaller enclosures for em later.

Purchase a used driver (such as an HSU, SVS, etc) and ask said-company to provide T/S parameters. It's not only Polk, most companies that don't offer drivers for individual sale will not share such information.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

Thread Information