Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default SRS 1.2's Available in Southern California

Hi All,

As I explained in a previous thread ( [url]http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10953[/url] ), I have to give up the SRS 1.2's that I have owned since new.

Just wanted to let you all know that they are up for sale now on Audiogon here: [url]http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrfull&1065512536&class&3&4&[/url]

Perhaps someone here is intersted or knows someone who is.

Thanks. And thank you for your prior help in confirming what model these are.

Cheers.

-Brad

Member Sales Rating: (13)

BUMP

Hey people.....GREAT speakers, somebody grab them!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Beautiful speakers indeed :)

Default Good New - Bad News

Well, the good news is that a kind gentleman is serious about buying this set of speakers. And I'd like to make it work if I can. Seems like they'd be going to a very good home.

The bad news is that we are several thousand miles apart. I was hoping for a local sale - and I still am.

However, the gentleman has offered to arrange for shipping if I can package them up.

So: How can I package these big guys up securely for a reasonable cost and effort??? I don't have any of the original packaging and nor do I have the tools/skills/time to construct a wooden crate. I could perhaps make pallet of some sort.

Any ideas? Know of any companies who can package them for me?

-Brad

Try the Yellow Pages.....look for a packing/crating company. Make sure they surround every surface inside the crate with thick (4")sheets of solid styrofoam, not bubble wrap or peanuts. They must not be able to shift inside the crate. Also, the speaker should be covered with a plastic bag/sheet to help prevent scuff marks from the styrofoam, etc. Then have them shipped on a pallet.
    A good freight company would be ABF, but go online for their special rates.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Brad,
    You should consider a furniture moving company. These pieces are more like furniture than say alot of other freight. I contracted a moving company, Atlas, to move a pair of SRS 1.2TL's from Kansas to MA for $300.00, $ 35.00 for insurance up to $10,000.00. Of course I'll know how the shipping went when I get them in a few days I hope, but I am confidant they will be fine.
    Dan

F1Nut and BigDanR,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. The prospective buyer prefers to use ABF because he has a business arrangement with them. So, it was comforting to you hear you recommend them also.

ABF recommended Pak Mail for packaging and they have a local office. Pak Mail will wrap in plastic, then cover in solid styrofoam, then wrap in special-order large double wall cardboard, then wrap again in plastic.

If all goes well, these big guys will be on there way east soon. Otherwise, its back to square one.

Thanks again.

-Brad

Member Sales Rating: (1)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by bconline [/i]
    [B]ABF recommended Pak Mail for packaging and they have a local office. Pak Mail will wrap in plastic, then cover in solid styrofoam, then wrap in special-order large double wall cardboard, then wrap again in plastic.[/B][/QUOTE] How much did they quote for that kind of packing job? I'm curious, as I'm sure others are when considering shipping those beasts........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Brad,

Hold out, and move them locally. Even if the buyer assumes all responsibility, I hate to see a pair of classic SDA get trashed in shipping.

They really need to be crated. I'm talking 2x4's and 1/2" plywood, with all kinds of inserts for damping. Hoosier21 (Russ Abernathy) has shipped these before (and built his own crates), I suggest you send him a PM or email for advice.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Well folks, it turns out that I am holding out for another buyer. My original buyer had made an honest mistake and needed to back out.

So, any folks in the Southwest looking for some nice 1.2's?

brettw22: Pak Mail's price for the described packing was quite reasonable: $75 for the pair. The guy at Pak Mail was quite interested in getting the business, so I don't think that he was making much money on it - he quoted me $65 to sell me the materials to make wrap them myself.

Rooster: Thanks for the tips!

- Brad

Gents,
    My 1.2TL's arrived here in MA yesterday from Kansas. Stubby and the mover prepared them, shrink wrap mummy style, thick cardboard enclosing the bottoms, thick padded moving quilt wrapped around, more cardboard around with alot of 2" tape. They were completely enclosed and sealed from any moisture and punture proof. They were strapped standing upright to the wall fasteners in the truck. I am aware of Polk's shipping recommendation of laying them flat on their back but I thought of the possibility of something being placed on top of them. Well this worked fine, perfect protection. Incidently, these speakers are in close to mint condition and are beautiful. So far the WAF is in a positive status, having the walnut wood match her favorite pieces of furniture helps! ;)

BDR

My set of 1.2's are now sold, and I want to thank you all for your help.

Fortunately, I found a local buyer - well, sort of local. The gentleman drove 6 hours from Phoenix to listen and pick them up.

The good news is I didn't have to be concerned about potential damage in packing and shipping. The went to their new home in the back of an Expedition covered with blankets. And it seems that they are going to a good home. The gentleman had listened to many newer speakers and found that these "vintage" speakers were better.

Anyway, thanks. You've been very helpful.

Cheers,

-Brad

Brad,

Hey, glad you sold them, but what are you replacing them with, if I may ask?

Hi,

(I've posted some the following in an earlier thread ( [url]http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10953[/url] ), but since you ask, I am happy to discuss again.)

That's a question that I am finding hard to answer. How do you replace a set like these and not feel like you are going backwards?

I'm still shopping for new speakers for a combined home theater / music system. I've been looking for something to fit onto the cabinets in the picture at the end of my previous thread. Perhaps some smaller towers (<40" tall, <15" deep).

On my short list are:
    * LSi series from Polk
    * Monitor Audio Silver/Gold Series
    * Studio Series from Paradigm
    * Rocket Series from Onix

I like speakers with good energy and quick transient response. I like the Monitor Audio sound. I haven't found a store with good demo setup for the LSi's yet.

I'm also shopping for a killer sub make up for the bass that that I am going to be missing with smaller towers. I'm thinking Paradigm Servo-15, SVS PB2 Plus or PB2-ISD

Have an advice for me?

Cheers.

-Brad

Thread Information