Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    824

    Default Help me choose 2-CH rig

    Currently I have the following secondary rig set-up in my bedroom:
    Adcom 545 amp /Rotel RC 1070 pre-/Rotel rdv 985 source/ musical fidelity v-dac /yaqin cd3 tube buffer / Lsi7

    I am considering the following change and need opinions
    Change to PC source and HRT Music StreamerII DAC

    Blakeh gave a great review of the Music StreamerII and I've read other positive reviews regarding this piece.

    So, questions are:

    1. V-Dac(coax/optical) vs Music Streamer (USB)?
    2. Does USB cable selection make a sonic difference?
    if so, what is a good USB cable?

    3 PC source(HP Pavilion Slimline) VS Rotel RDV 985?

    I know this is all a matter of personal taste.....but if you were in this position, what would you do

    Thanks for any input you can provide.
    PS: Thanks Blakeh for making me look deeper down the rabbit hole (lol)......really nice review!

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dhart86 View Post
    Currently I have the following secondary rig set-up in my bedroom:
    Adcom 545 amp /Rotel RC 1070 pre-/Rotel rdv 985 source/ musical fidelity v-dac /yaqin cd3 tube buffer / Lsi7

    I am considering the following change and need opinions
    Change to PC source and HRT Music StreamerII DAC

    Blakeh gave a great review of the Music StreamerII and I've read other positive reviews regarding this piece.

    So, questions are:

    1. V-Dac(coax/optical) vs Music Streamer (USB)?
    2. Does USB cable selection make a sonic difference?
    if so, what is a good USB cable?

    3 PC source(HP Pavilion Slimline) VS Rotel RDV 985?

    I know this is all a matter of personal taste.....but if you were in this position, what would you do

    Thanks for any input you can provide.
    PS: Thanks Blakeh for making me look deeper down the rabbit hole (lol)......really nice review!
    Be sure to give the 'new' Musical Fidelity M1 DAC some consideration - it's supposed to be the cat's meow.

    H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post
    Be sure to give the 'new' Musical Fidelity M1 DAC some consideration - it's supposed to be the cat's meow.
    Is it a good USB Dac? I have to google this. Thanks

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dhart86 View Post
    Is it a good USB Dac? I have to google this. Thanks
    Yes. Recently reviewed in Stereophile (3/2011) as well - if you give credence to such reviews.

    H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post
    Be sure to give the 'new' Musical Fidelity M1 DAC some consideration - it's supposed to be the cat's meow.
    the usb doesn't do asynchronous mode transfer though.....that's key !

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    824

    Default

    C'mon..Help me out dudes!

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (12)

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Plainfield, Illinois
    Posts
    5,282

    Default

    I like my digital on the hard drive now. What op system does your 'putie have?
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments


    CP Showcase

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    I like my digital on the hard drive now. What op system does your 'putie have?
    Windows XP

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. What Amp would you choose?
    By Jimbobwey in forum 2 Channel Audio
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 09:28 AM
  2. Need Help to choose CDP?
    By GATOR3000 in forum Electronics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-09-2006, 02:46 PM
  3. Help me choose a car...
    By madmax in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 11-11-2006, 08:31 PM
  4. help me choose the best sub for the $
    By hexon in forum Car Subwoofer Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-04-2006, 05:52 PM
  5. Trying to choose...
    By snowjay in forum Speakers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2006, 07:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts