Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Burn in time for the New Tweeters?

What is it guys?,I have 8ea of the RDO's thanks.
    PolkAudioClyde

Member Sales Rating: (49)

I would say about 100 hrs but they still get better after that..
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...
    Powered By Wyred 4 Sound, STP-SE, SX-1000...
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Ditto

I have explained the reality of the so-called burn-in issue. As far as loudspeakers that I know of are concerned, the issue is 100% in the mind. It is entirely about acclimatisation. I am so sure of this that I am willing to eat any Harbeth speaker that you or anyone else can demonstrate changes its character after a so-called burn in.

Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Burn in time is about 100 hours and they really open up over about 300 hours.

Jcandy, give it a rest already.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Burn in time is about 100 hours and they really open up over about 300 hours.

Jcandy, give it a rest already.
    You are exactly 100% at odds with the owner of Harbeth, and 100% at odds with measurements. Do you have a permit to sell snake-oil here?

At least burn-in is free. That kind of snake oil I'll buy. Monster's 1200Mbps USB 2.0 cable, on the other hand, is bull$#!+ that pisses me off.

So do most people trying to burn in the RD0's just leave the radio on all day for several days?

Quote Originally Posted by On3s&Z3r0s View Post

So do most people trying to burn in the RD0's just leave the radio on all day for several days?
    I used a 5 disk cd changer and had differenet styles of music I let rotate for 5 days at different volumes..

I only did that on my 1.2tl's my 1C's I just play them when I want too..
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I can also agree with the 100hrs time frame. I noticed improvements after about 25 hours, but they do keep getting better over time. The improvements get more subtle with time out to about 200 hours or so.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    I used a 5 disk cd changer and had differenet styles of music I let rotate for 5 days at different volumes..

I only did that on my 1.2tl's my 1C's I just play them when I want too..
    That's a damn good idea... I don't have a cd changer, but throwing together a big random playlist would be easy... shoulda thought of that on my own. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jcandy View Post
    You are exactly 100% at odds with the owner of Harbeth, and 100% at odds with measurements. Do you have a permit to sell snake-oil here?
    I'm with you jcandy - but on club polk, presenting any silly nonsense such as facts, objective evidence, or measurements is strongly frowned on by the entrenched tweako audio cultist regulars.

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Is the circus in town?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Banned

What does it matter? In a year of listening to your system everything is 'burned' in whether you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    Is the circus in town?
    How rude!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Freak View Post
    I'm with you jcandy - but on club polk, presenting any silly nonsense such as facts, objective evidence, or measurements is strongly frowned on by the entrenched tweako audio cultist regulars.
    WoW! All but 4 posts and such a strong, nonsensical statement. That's some freaky s#!t.

I think you're right, Ben. The circus has indeed come to town.

Please keep in mind that they can't hear, and refuse to listen. It's so tragic when true science is impeded by closed minds and people who "know". I saw a quote earlier... "consistency is being just as ignorant today as you were a year ago".
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Really? Again?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Russ there will always be these debates. Should bad advice go unchallenged for all to see? I am not talking about regular members, but the casual passer by. I thought I was doing well till I spent some time here. Luckily I went against my disbeliefs and tried some of the suggestions made here. It didn't cost much and furthered my enjoyment of audio tremendously.
    Thanks
    Ben

Shouldn't this guy just be banned??? as it's obvious he is here just to stir up s@#it along with Jcandy??? "I mean really" just to join with such low self esteem and the only way to feel you have some attention from others,and feel good about yourself for just a few?? Really get a life!!!!

I say off with their heads already!!!!
    Last edited by Kenneth Swauger; 02-20-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    Shouldn't this guy just be banned??? as it's obvious he is here just to stir up s@#t along with Jcandy??? "I mean really" just to join with such low self esteem and the only way to feel you have some attention from others,and feel good about yourself for just a few?? Really get a life!!!!

I say off with their heads already!!!!
    I'm guessing these are the latest, anti hi-fi insurgent graduates from the AA troll camp. The best there are!

C'mon bro, might as well have a little fun with them.
    Last edited by Kenneth Swauger; 02-20-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Well I didn't mean to offend every regular here. I probably should have been more specific, but didn't want to attack anyone personally.

I've been lurking around here for a few months and find it rather poor that there are certain posters, with a very aggresive style, who tend to shout-down anyone who disagrees with them. It usually takes the form of one of these:

1. Your gear is clearly inferior and doesn't have the 'resolution' neccesary to distinguish such fine details.

2. There's something wrong with your hearing if you don't agree with me.

3. Your just a n00bie who wouldn't know a woofer from a tweeter.

And all of these aggressive posters seem to be of the subjective variety of audiophiles.

1. Your gear is clearly inferior and doesn't have the 'resolution' neccesary to distinguish such fine details.

I call BS on this. Show me one example where any member has posted anything to this effect in a negative manner, Freak.

1 is very true.
    2 is somewhat true. Some don't have sensitive ears just like many wines taste the same to me.
    3 I have never seen this posted.
    Bottom line sweetheart I don't sugar coat things. I will voice my opinion as many do here. If you are looking for a shoulder rub or something with a reply that disagrees with what you posted you are in the wrong place. I will not like or listen to some a$$hat tell me what I hear is an audible illusion. The fact is many of the people that tell us what we hear ignore the fact that many of us have shared the same views/experiences on the same sonic changes to gear or burn-in. If 10 people are in a room and 9 of them say a man was holding an open umbrella. The odds are there was a man holding an umbrella. This would be considered fact. If there isn't a picture of the man holding the umbrella does it mean he wasn't holding the umbrella?
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I can't believe the founder of Harbeth said that.

Look at his cabinets. And he charges alot for em. I guess he believes cabinet beauty is unnessesary. Sure, I bye that, but heck man, does he have to charge extra for not making them pretty?

Check out Sequerra speakers tweeters. They're sooooo much like old realistic minimus tweeters with a plug. And they are expensive too. I've heard both tweeters and swear they sound pretty close.

I'm just ranting, sorry.

I might have acclimated my ears to my new tweeters a year ago, but I swear they got brighter.
    Last edited by Tony M; 02-17-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies . I am glad to be a part of a select group that tries to take our auditory and visual senses to a higher level: we EXPERIENCE them.... GOT SDA?...GOT SUNFIRE? ...GOT Maggies?

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Well I didn't mean to offend every regular here. I probably should have been more specific, but didn't want to attack anyone personally.

I've been lurking around here for a few months and find it rather poor that there are certain posters, with a very aggresive style, who tend to shout-down anyone who disagrees with them. It usually takes the form of one of these:

And all of these aggressive posters seem to be of the subjective variety of audiophiles.
    What an odd post. I think you'd do well to read some Dale Carnegie.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    1 is very true.
    2 is somewhat true. Some don't have sensitive ears just like many wines taste the same to me.
    1. It can work both ways. For example I've spent a lot of time ABXing lossy codecs. Sometimes variations in frequency response (a peak at certain frequencies) of poor gear can make certain artifacts *easier* to hear than they would be on equipment that is more accurate.

2. True. It's often a matter of training to hear the differences, or knowing how to interpret what you hear rather than 'golden ears'.

I don't think anyone who knows what they're talking about would tell you that you don't really hear what you think you do in subjective listening, it's very real. Just search youtube for the McGurk Effect and you can easily see that what you see with your eyes can make you ACTUALLY hear something that doesn't exist. It's completely fabricated inside your brain, but it's very real, and even knowing that the sound is not actually there cannot prevent you from hearing it.

Placebo and expectation bias are very well documented. It shouldn't be seen as an insult against you to suggest that without carefully controlling certain factors, that you could have been been victim to a phenomena that all humans are susceptible to... Especially in a situation where blind testing, and all known methods of seperating fact from fiction seem to point to a different conclusion. After all, what special insights do you get from peeking at the brand labels?

WOW CF you still don't get it. I guess I have the same illusions every time. I guess that many people who have documented what they have heard have the same illusions? As for labels you are so off it is not funny. I have heard some/a lot of high dollar highly praised gear that didn't do it for me. I have tried to like gear that I thought was going to sound good. In the end I know what I like. Thanks for trying to tell me what I hear is just a figment of my imagination again. You haven't been around here long enough to pretend you know anything about anybody here. If you had you would not be making these assumptions. BTW I do not need to be trained to know what tastes, looks, feels, or sounds good. I can figure that out with my little tiny pea brain without any training I would get you a shovel, but it is obvious you don't need one.
    Cheers
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I reached a conclusion,
    This message is hidden because Charlie Freak is on your bozo list.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    I reached a conclusion,
    Took only 6 posts too. That's gotta be a new record. I want to at least hold out til he gives me a response to my inquiry.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Attached Images  
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Thread Information